Thread: Big Blue Charters Sitka ?

Default Big Blue Charters Sitka ?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Looking to plan next years trip and maybe bringing the whole family of 4 and need to watch the budget really tight this time. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I used to fish quite a bit with Mike and Karen in late 90's early 2000's, taking clients over there when I lived in Juneau. Used to run Osprey boats, now a group of new boats which I think Mike helped to design. Mike is a true Captin Salty. Local guy and he knows how to fish. Used to know his guides but I doubt any of them are still there. Sitka is a great place to fish King Salmon, and Mike usually does well on Halibut.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Getting ready to pull the trigger for next year but thought I would try one more time and bump to the top. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have never fished with Big Blue, but I have been out with APC (Alaska Premier Charters) in Sitka several times. http://www.wildstrawberrylodge.com/ They run a first class operation, good captains, good food, nice accommodations. They upgraded their boats a couple of years ago to some really nice walk-a-rounds.
    I haven't been out with them in a couple of years because I found I like POW island so much. There is just more protected water if the weather kicks up. You have to make reservations so far in advance when coming to AK you are at the mercy of Mother Nature. When I first went to Sitka there were only a couple of outfits, maybe 20-30 boats. Now there are over a hundred registered charter boats.
    Fishing can be awesome either place.

I'm pretty sure sitka is pushing 400 charter boats.

The fleet as I know it peaked years ago at over 300 boats. I don't believe it is higher then that today.

I have fished many times with Big Blue and have nothing but praise for them. Mike is the ultimate Salty captain..but he is like a big grizzly bear who is actually a really nice guy who is great with kids. Hope this helps