Thread: Hunting near baldy

Default Hunting near baldy

I live in ER and I was wondering if anyone has hunted around baldy before. Be a nice quick jaunt from my house but I don't want to be on a episode of AK state troopers for shooting at something up there. I'm guessing with the berry patches there are birds but the rule books are vague on what and where I can shoot around here

Pretty sure the only areas open is by permit from ADFG and when I called last week they told me it's a 7-mile hike [out past Nature Center] to where you can start hunting [Icicle Creek]. The other area is just as far out east of South Fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    I live in ER and I was wondering if anyone has hunted around baldy before. Be a nice quick jaunt from my house but I don't want to be on a episode of AK state troopers for shooting at something up there. I'm guessing with the berry patches there are birds but the rule books are vague on what and where I can shoot around here

You may not hunt on Baldy itself. You need to be two drainages over - in Ptarmigan Valley, which drains out towards Peters Creek, before you can do any small game hunting. I've seen one or two people over the years toting shotguns up the valley behind Baldy. All I can do is inform them of the regs - the back side of Baldy is not legal for small game hunting - you need to go another ridge over. You can get to legal hunting grounds from the Baldy trailhead in about an hour's hike if you're in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You may not hunt on Baldy itself. You need to be two drainages over - in Ptarmigan Valley, which drains out towards Peters Creek, before you can do any small game hunting. I've seen one or two people over the years toting shotguns up the valley behind Baldy. All I can do is inform them of the regs - the back side of Baldy is not legal for small game hunting - you need to go another ridge over. You can get to legal hunting grounds from the Baldy trailhead in about an hour's hike if you're in good shape.
    Based on the maps provided on the ADF&G website for the eagle river management area and the chugach state park management area it looks like you can hunt the backside of Baldy. What am I missing Brian?

Default Find out anymore info on Baldy area??

AKZag,

That's what I am seeing as well zooming into AKFG Higher Res PDF Maps. Looks like on the ERMA map, south of the ridge line is in the ERMA, and north looks good. Looking the CSPMA map there is that dog leg, but once you get up on the slope, and from what I can tell the flat area on top, you in the CSPMA and all looks good.

At least that's how I am reading the maps.

Anyone with further info??

I was hoping this topic would never arise, I always liked to think this was a little secret of mine, but Oh Well!

Yes, it is legal to hunt on Baldy and the ridge to the north, the boundry line is the ridge top. About 25 years ago I had a conversation with a park ranger about this exact topic for clarification, since that time the boundry has never shifted. Her explanation went like this; if you stand atop the ridge and empty your canteen and the water flows into meadow creek you are in closed area, if the water flows into upper fire lake you are in open area. In other words, run a line down Baldy ridge and hunt on the north side of that line.

If you choose to hunt there please always keep in mind that it is a very popular multi-use area, so be at your best safe shooting practices-know what is downrange before you pull the trigger.

FWIW, small game is scarce due to the high traffic of both humans and canines.

Thanks for confirming. I'm sure small game is widely scattered do to all the traffic. It's a nice close place to do mainly a hike with the 22 or shotgun, mainly to take the daughter out and teach/re enforce gun safety and that it's ok to go out and carry a gun in appropriate places.