Thread: Opinions on 50/35 quick!

Default Opinions on 50/35 quick!

I would like to put a jet package together. Boat would be an Alweld 1652 in .080" or .100", somewhere between 310lbs to 365lbs. depending on what hull thickness. I've been looking at a 2008 Yamaha 50hp 2 stroke at 189lbs. and going to match it with a jet pump. This would bring it to a 50/35 jet, not sure on the finished weight with a jet pump. I've heard mixed opinions on this setup. I've heard its just a 2 man setup, others say it would do 3 to 4, but not much more. I would like to have a motor that would plane at least 4 people or 750lbs. Will a 50/35 do this?? I know a 25hp prop motor will, I have one of these on a 1448. Motor price for the Yamaha 50hp is $2600, needs a tiller $636 with tax and jet pump $1500 to $1700, around $5100 when finished. Should I just scrap the idea of the 50/35 and move up to a Merc 60/40, which is 270lbs. 4 stroke, 15" mid section (will fit on a 22" transom) and stainless steel impeller? I was thinking that the Yammi being a 2 stroke and 70lbs. lighter would be a good choice, maybe not?? Lets hear it from guys with or had a 50/35, whats the MAX LOAD you can haul. Need to make a move on the Yammi in the next week if it will work, I don't know how much longer the dealer will hold it.

Thanks

My uncle has a smoke craft Kodiak 18' boat. He has a effinrude 50 on it. We put the jet foot on it and went from deshka landing down to deshka to fish kings a couple years ago. There were 3 of us - about 700 pounds of person, a 60 pound dog, tent, cooler, cook stuff, some lawn chairs, and fishing gear. We made about 12mph up the big Su back to the landing. His boat is WAY heavier than your 16'er. The 50 was doggy and slow on the Kodiak. With the prop on it - it does about 25-27mph in the salt at 5K rpm. With just us 3 and the dog running up the deshka, it worked pretty good, but no extreme hole shot by any stretch.

If you could get used components to drop that extreme accessory cost you have listed, it would be a decent deal. A 16 foot welded boat with a 50/35 should get you four on step but it won't be sporty. with one or two people it would be very sporty but you are pushing it for 4 adults and gear unless you have time and don't need to slide around corners.

However, i own a 4 stroke Yamaha 60/40 which sits on an 18 ft lund. Just three days ago i was rolling along on step with a full moose and head (700 lbs) plus me (190 lbs) plus all my gear and gas (300 lbs) and I had good hole shot, and cruised at 23 mph. She does 28 WOT with minimal gear and 2 people.

Go big......I never regretted it. Burn rates between the 40, 50, and 60 powerheads are negligible. Only thing you need to figure out is weight, and if you can get enough weight in the front so you don't do go bow up so hard when you let off the gas.

I owned a 1652 50/35 it was a great 2 person no gear rig, 3 was doable but pushing it. It had a medium size pump. Now I have an 1860 with a 90/65 large size pump and it is the rig you need for 4 plus gear. But a 90/65 on a 1652 is good also. The motor setup is more expensive than the skiff setup.

sobie2

i have a g3 1652 w/ 50/35 4 stroke yammy with the center console. I have run 2 guys and 4 bou, 4 guys and fishing gear, 2 guys and a quartered cow moose, and many other configurations. I have also completely overloaded and not got on step.

I think i can run about 1000 pounds of weight with my setup in the shallower water up to 5'. The boat with a heavy load will fall off step in that deep water. If i could keep it in the 6" range all day i could carry more. I love my jet and dont have too many issues if i pack light and plan for 2 trips if needbe depending on water.

If i was not fishing the kenai i would get a 60/40 with the jet on it already to save the cash. and have the extra power.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    i have a g3 1652 w/ 50/35 4 stroke yammy with the center console. I have run 2 guys and 4 bou, 4 guys and fishing gear, 2 guys and a quartered cow moose, and many other configurations. I have also completely overloaded and not got on step.

I think i can run about 1000 pounds of weight with my setup in the shallower water up to 5'. The boat with a heavy load will fall off step in that deep water. If i could keep it in the 6" range all day i could carry more. I love my jet and dont have too many issues if i pack light and plan for 2 trips if needbe depending on water.

If i was not fishing the kenai i would get a 60/40 with the jet on it already to save the cash. and have the extra power.
    Thats sounds like good performance out of the 4 stroke 50/35 you have. From the sounds of it I would say it is equal to the 25hp 2 stroke prop I have. The most I've ever planned was 4 average sized adults and 3 kids and some coolers etc..

Does anybody know if the Yamaha 60/40 4 stroke jet has a medium or large jet pump installed? I was told by a dealer in Missouri it had the medium pump. He said since Mercury came out with the 60/40 4 stroke he has sold over 500 of them to a handful of the Yamaha's due to the Merc having the large pump, 15" shaft (only need 22" transom), and stainless impeller. He said the Merc was a faster motor due to the large pump.

I'm just having a hard time wraping my mind around the size and weight of the Merc motor. If I thought the 2 stroke Yammi would get me equal or a little better performance compared to my 25hp prop that would be the motor I'd go with. I can't make my mind up. One day I'm thinking 50/35 the other times its the 60/40. Hahahaha.

There's nothing wrong with the 2 stroke in my mind, but it would be great to get it set up with used parts, otherwise you are not far off the price of a new or nearly new 4 stroke. There are many lower units to be had from different sources, or from junked motors instead of shucking out top price for something that rarely goes bad beyond the carrier bearing and shaft. The other advantage is definitley weight, the heavier the motor on the back of a small boat, the faster your transom drops when coming off step.

The 60/40 Yamaha has the medium jet foot, as said I've got one, and it's a fantastic motor. But there are many ways to rig a jet.

Don't sweat the transom height, you can buy or make a jack plate to set the motor higher, just read up on the proper height and angle so you get the best performance you can.

Enjoy, jetting is a finicky, expensive but oh so fun way to go boating.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    However, i own a 4 stroke Yamaha 60/40 which sits on an 18 ft lund. Just three days ago i was rolling along on step with a full moose and head (700 lbs) plus me (190 lbs) plus all my gear and gas (300 lbs) and I had good hole shot, and cruised at 23 mph. She does 28 WOT with minimal gear and 2 people.

Go big......I never regretted it. Burn rates between the 40, 50, and 60 powerheads are negligible. Only thing you need to figure out is weight, and if you can get enough weight in the front so you don't do go bow up so hard when you let off the gas.
    From the sound of the load you just hauled looks like these jets will do better than the 25lb per 1hp rule I keep reading about. I looked at the Lund website trying to get a weight of your boat, if it is an 1852MV it weights 475lbs. motor = 260lbs add that to your load is 1925lbs. 1925/25 = 77 at the powerhead. Now 1925/60 comes out to be 32lbs per 1hp of powerhead. Does one need to follow the 25lbs per 1hp rule, or could they figure 30lbs per hp and still be okay? I know I'm being anal about this guys, but trying to make it a one time purchase.
    Thanks.

16 foot is harder to plane than 17 unless 17 weighs a lot more. i have g3 with 60/40 yam. center console. with floor and other stuff, two batteries, 12 gallons gas, does low 20,s one or two people. if i were carrying more regularly i would find a 90/60 with a boat to match.

get the boat motor for what you do the most and not what you just do occasionally.

I had the same questions this spring. I have a 1752 Alweld Jon with a Tohatsu TLDI 50/35 jet. I would love to have more power, but it gets right up on step with 3 guys, a dog, and a bunch of gear for a day of fishing. Its a great setup and I can run real shallow with the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I had the same questions this spring. I have a 1752 Alweld Jon with a Tohatsu TLDI 50/35 jet. I would love to have more power, but it gets right up on step with 3 guys, a dog, and a bunch of gear for a day of fishing. Its a great setup and I can run real shallow with the tunnel.
    Hey, I think I remember reading your thread when you were looking at the Tohatsu. How much would you estimate the load above weights? I've been told by one dealer that I could get by with 750lb load, total boat, motor, load maybe 1400lbs., but I would be maxed out with the 50/35 jet.

Sounds like it is a good setup. Can you run with more load or is that the MAX?

I'm still on the fence about the Yamaha 50/35 idea. Being its a 2 stroke it should do better than the 4's from what I've been told. Do you wished you had gotten a 60/40? The other motor I'm considering is a Merc 60/40 4 stroke, it has 15" mid section, large pump and stainless impeller. Should do much better, but the dang weight of the motor is killing me at 270lbs. Thanks man.

I would say I was right around the 1400lb including boat and motor. I had no problem getting right on step with it and believe I could put some more weight in it. It is no speed demon and you can tell the loss of power on corners and deeper water, but it goes plenty good for what I need. I seemed to be averaging about 4 gph. The Tohatsu weighs in at about 200#s, of course you need a bigger battery with it than with a 4 stroke. I am going to have some pods welded on in the spring to help with the hole shot in shallower spots but in all I'm happy with the setup.

I did add my own floor to it, but I do store the boat inside and the painted plywood gets dried out every time. I made it so I can yank it out real easily if I need to maximize my load carrying abilities. As for the 60/40, ya I could never turn down more power but I am bound by the Kenai 50hp restriction. That is why I did a lot of looking around at different boats with different floor plans and hull weights. The 1752 (all open with only rear bench and tunnel) was a nice compromise I believe and is a pretty stout little jon boat.

I would say I was right around the 1400lb including boat and motor. I had no problem getting right on step with it and believe I could put some more weight in it. It is no speed demon and you can tell the loss of power on corners and deeper water, but it goes plenty good for what I need. I seemed to be averaging about 4 gph. The Tohatsu weighs in at about 200#s, of course you need a bigger battery with it than with a 4 stroke. I am going to have some pods welded on in the spring to help with the hole shot in shallower spots but in all I'm happy with the setup.

I did add my own floor to it, but I do store the boat inside and the painted plywood gets dried out every time. I made it so I can yank it out real easily if I need to maximize my load carrying abilities. As for the 60/40, ya I could never turn down more power but I am bound by the Kenai 50hp restriction. That is why I did a lot of looking around at different boats with different floor plans and hull weights. The 1752 (all open with only rear bench and tunnel) was a nice compromise I believe and is a pretty stout little jon boat.
    1400lbs. Sounds great! I got a chance to go check out the motor yesterday at the dealer. Very nice clean motor, but with all the replies from you guys with the 50's saying you would like to have more power is making my mind up and I'm going with a 60/40. I want to do this right the first time. The Yamaha is a very nice motor, but here's the the deal, if I find the motor to not be powerful enough (more than likely) then I'll need to sell it, no big deal, but then I'm stuck trying to sell a jet pump that would be harder to sell. That motor would probably cost me $5100 after everything said is said and done. New Merc 60/40 4 stroke with 4 blade stainless impeller and large pump $6800. Quieter, better on gas, more power the only negative is the weight. I'll try to offset that by doing a balancing act in the boat, haha. Oh, the family likes the looks of the Merc better so that definitely the one I have to go with right? Lol. You guys are just echoing what all of the dealers were saying, thanks so much.

I would look into having flotations pods welded on. They will provide up to a couple hundred pounds of flotation off the stern and will offset alot of the weight of the motor. They also help to give you a better hole shot and keep the bow down if you are traveling solo. Beavertail pods from cabelas are the ones I bought. Of course they wont deliver to AK but I just had a friend bring them up when he flew up here.

I would look into having flotations pods welded on. They will provide up to a couple hundred pounds of flotation off the stern and will offset alot of the weight of the motor. They also help to give you a better hole shot and keep the bow down if you are traveling solo. Beavertail pods from cabelas are the ones I bought. Of course they wont deliver to AK but I just had a friend bring them up when he flew up here.
    Now you have me second guessing about the 60/40. Its 60lbs. heavier than the 50/35. If you are having issue with stern weight with the 50/35, I know the 60/40 may be a weight problem. I would think that your boat being a 1752 would help out alot, being its longer than a 16', but with you getting some pods welded on I may have to look into them.

I really dont have any stern issues for the most part, but with me, my motor, gas tank, and heavy battery there is a bunch of weight back there. Plus the tunnel takes a bit of flotation from the stern as well. I really on want to put the pods on to help jump up on step a bit better in those spots where you only have a short run of deeper water to get up before you hit the shallow stuff. I do think they will help that, of course I could move the fuel tank and battery forward and do some good also.

put a few 5 gallon buckets in the boat and maybe store your anchor or something in them. then when in a tough spot to plane fill them with water and put them upfront.