Thread: Get those augers sharpened

Default Get those augers sharpened

So if this year is anything like last year we should be ice fishing by halloween. Anyone get any new toys for this season to try out?

Good luck on the Halloween thing.

Picking up a FatFish 949 next week. Pretty stoked about that. Nice upgrade from the QF-2, so now I can bring a buddy fishing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have fished the peninsula on Halloween only once since I moved here over 25 years ago.
    I guess that means it is possible though.
    My augers are always sharp and I always have a set of spare blades handy in case the store is out of the ones I need.
    The only new toys I have are some new jig molds. I am going to make a few more icefishing jigs this year.
    I had great success last year on my homemade jigs and this year should be even better.
    I think I am going to like the new jigs and may even give a few away to some lucky forum members.
    JOAT if we ever meet up for some icefishing I will be sure and have some extra jigs on hand to give you to try.
    I also need to get together with some other forum members for some icefishing.(Sayak are you reading this?)
    We might have to try and do another forum icefishing get together and hopefully more members can make it this time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We had about 9" of ice on interior ponds by mid-October last year. I'll miss fly fishing but I'm looking forward to a great winter on the ice. Burbotzilla, watch out.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

If I remember right last year on the 28th of Oct there was around 8 inches of ice on Memory Lake and South Rolly (went to both same day for some location scouting). I say bring on the cold and let's get started. As for new gear I broke down and bought a three rivers bait casting ice fishing rod seems a little stiff but see how it does for jigging the ones. Think I'll start the season this year with the spear (new this year) @ Nancy and Memory and see how it goes. Never got lucky enough too meet any forum members last year on the hardwater, but maybe this year will be different. Good luck when it starts!!

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    If I remember right last year on the 28th of Oct there was around 8 inches of ice on Memory Lake and South Rolly (went to both same day for some location scouting). I say bring on the cold and let's get started. As for new gear I broke down and bought a three rivers bait casting ice fishing rod seems a little stiff but see how it does for jigging the ones. Think I'll start the season this year with the spear (new this year) @ Nancy and Memory and see how it goes. Never got lucky enough too meet any forum members last year on the hardwater, but maybe this year will be different. Good luck when it starts!!
    I sure wish we had some spear fishing left on the Peninsula.
    I never did get real good at it but it sure was fun.
    Had an older gentleman in the area give me a complete spearing setup. He was good at it but he passed away before I could really learn his secrets.
    Now ADF&G has removed our pike so it just isn't feasible.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You guys are killin' me! The trout and steelhead are just heating up! I do have an older Eskimo 10" auger for sale though if anyone is interested. $150 I'll get a pic if requested.