Thread: South East shark fishing

Default South East shark fishing

This question is actually being asked on behalf of my son Jude. As most of you are now aware I have been saturating this forum over the last couple of months regarding every aspect of the salt water fishery in the SE . Running parallel to this we have been pouring over every bit of available literature on the same subject. Only recently we have received a copy of the seminal book ALASKA FISHING by Limeres and Pedersen. For those who may be aware of this book it is a fantastic book full of many facts , proofs and advice. However , on page 213 , it has the most awesome picture ive ever seen of I think a salmon shark. My son's life has been changed since he seen it . What is the options regarding sport fishing for the salmon shark? Is it done at all, and if so , is there reliable numbers in this fishery?.........................tight lines from ireland

Oh, oh, oh, I know the answer to this one! If you want reliable salmon shark fishing, you have to head up to Valdez/PWS area.

I haven't heard about actively pursuing salmon sharks in SE, but I know that guides actually target them up north. They catch a number of them......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a buddy that occasionally fishes for them out of Gustavus. He has hooked several, but has yet to land one.

I have had a couple of small halibut bitten in half in Icy Strait. The bite radius was big - I would guess that the sharks weighed ~200#. I dragged a pair of marauders around for about 100 miles all over Icy Strait a few years ago - no bites.

Big_E

They're like any other fish, if you put something in front of them that looks and smells good, its likely they'll eat it. I've hooked into a couple sharks while halibut fishing, but never got them to the boat. They do some weird things, both ran straight away from the boat with A LOT of power and then stopped, circled for a bit, and then ran straight at the boat... IT WAS INTENSE until those sharp teeth ripped through the mono leader.

I would have to agree with the consensus that the most reliable area for hooking and playing sharks in Alaska waters is up in Prince William Sound. There are sharks of a few different varieties here in SE, and I have heard stories of people having fish bitten and/or taken (or the odd shark hook-up while fishing either salmon or halibut) -but SE doesn't seem to produce the migratory concentrations as is the case with Salmon Sharks in PWS. I seem to remember a PWS shark-fishing article in the "Fish Alaska" magazine in the last couple of years that described a charter operation up there and the methods used to hook and play Salmon Sharks. I recommend a search for that article for some background information.

There is also a shark tagging study that I will try to find on the Web that shows a large Salmon shark migration into PWS that coincides with the annual salmon return migration into the area. It was an interesting source of information. If I can find it again I will post a link. Good luck.

Here's an outfit that pursues them in Icy Straits.

http://www.blackrockcharters.com/con...rk_fishing.asp