Thread: Moose advice

Default Moose advice

This is my first year moose hunting and had a question I was hoping some of you moose men can answer for me. <br />
    I was hunting this morning and Glassed a real nice bull, a spike and a couple of cows coming out of a draw, working their way down a hill side to the timber at around 10:00am. I was over a mile away across the valley and had no way to get to them in time before they made it to the timber. I had to leave shortly after they disappeared and didn't return this evening to see if they traveled back up the hill to the same draw. Are moose creatures of habit? Could I expect to glass those bulls up roaming that same hillside in the next few days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And the answer is a definte maybe.

Yes, moose don't tend to wander too far in a short period of time unless something draws or pushes them on.

They may be in the same valley all week, but you may never see them in the exact same spot again. Or, they could be standing in that exact spot again right now. I often had multi-day stand hunts where I see the same moose pass through the same general spot daily or even multiple times per day. And there are others that you only see once and never catch a glimpse of them again. If you try to stalk and get busted, your chances of seeing that moose again in the same spot are pretty slim. But, you might see him the next day in the next little draw or valley.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I knew I wasn't going to be able to get at them from where I was and I didn't want to go breaking brush and risk getting busted moving through the timber. I figured I would try to find them this weekend, only this time from the correct side of the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by B4guy View Post
    I knew I wasn't going to be able to get at them from where I was and I didn't want to go breaking brush and risk getting busted moving through the timber. I figured I would try to find them this weekend, only this time from the correct side of the valley.
    For what it's worth, breaking brush while walking is often better than trying to be stealthy. Another bull moose intent on challenging a mature bull will not walk quietly, but will rather snap branches and rake trees on his way in. A predator will try to be stealthy. I've talked to many very successful moose hunters who intentionally make noise while closing distance this time of year. Just food for thought...

That's a fact. And bring a wood canoe paddle with you for raking. It's quite possible you'll only have to walk part of the way and he'll cover the rest of the distance for you.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I picked up a cow call the other day that the guy at the store referred to as a "moose funnel", I thought that was funny but then again I'm a rookie here. I suppose that would be a good time to be scraping it against the brush as I walked. Those bulls were not concerned with each other one bit, they were just following the 3 cows around. Is this normal for moose to be in small groups like this? I was under the impression they liked the solo life style

Quote Originally Posted by B4guy View Post
    ...I was under the impression they liked the solo life style...
    Not during rutting season...
    "Grin and Bear It"