Thread: Need moose advice

Default Need moose advice

This is my first year moose hunting and had a question I was hoping some of you moose men can answer for me.
    I was hunting this morning and Glassed a real nice bull, a spike and a couple of cows coming out of a draw, working their way down a hill side to the timber at around 10:00am. I was over a mile away across the valley and had no way to get to them in time before they made it to the timber. I had to leave shortly after they disappeared and didn't return this evening to see if they traveled back up the hill to the same draw. Are moose creatures of habit? Could I expect to glass those bulls up roaming that same hillside in the next few days?

They will probably stay in the general area
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If undisturbed there is a very good chance they will be near by, if not on that same hillside. That being said tho, I've seen bulls take their cows and leave an area for no known reason.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the advice gents.

What unit are you hunting? That's not a legal bull in the spork/50/3-4 club

Release Lake Trout

It's GMU 14, the pictures didn't do it justice. The camera seams to make the picture seem zoomed out. That's through a Leica spotting scope zoomed in on 60X. Those moose were over a mile and half from me. When the sun would hit his horns just right, they seemed plenty large enough to encourage a hunter to make the walk to at least get a closer look.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I were you, I'd saddle up and get after 'em ASAP!!!!!!!

If it makes you feel better, I spooked one out of hiding on the opening day. I went back to the exact same spot two weeks later and connected about an hour after sun-up. I believe it was the same moose. Go for it!

Defiantly go back there. If the big guy turns out to be sublegal maybe you can find that spike again. I shot mine last year about 200yds from where I left him a week before surfing archery season. Most likely unless spooked there's a good chance they will be close by