Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Most accurate S&W M500?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    191

    Default Most accurate S&W M500?

    Hi folks,

    I currently own a 4" M500 S&W. I am thinking about a longer barrel version for range shooting and perhaps hunting when I am good at it.
    As some of you may recognize from our previous conversations about reloading the 500SW cartridge, I reload all of my cartridges, usually towards the hotter end of the spectrum.

    Based on your experiences or readings, which model of the S&W M500 has the best accuracy at 25 yards?

    I am itching for the 10.5" hunter version with the Lothar Walther bbl.
    The specs says they use a polygonal rifling. Does it mean it is not safe to shoot lead-cast bullets through it, just like the Glock bbl? Some people think that when the velocity of the bullet is high, bare lead may not engrave as well as on polygonal rifling vs conventional rifling; thus, may reduce accuracy.



  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Send a PM to RangerRick. He has a LOT of first hand experience with the 500 (and 460) xframes.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  3. #3
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Send a PM to RangerRick. He has a LOT of first hand experience with the 500 (and 460) xframes.

    +1. I sold a few pistols to him back in the spring and couldn't believe how much he knew about those pistols. We spoke for almost an hour about the .500 and the .460. Definitely a knowledgable man when it comes to those firearms.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Thanks, I have sent him an IM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Greetings, should you be interested in some factory rounds by Cor-Bon, check out my post in The Ammo Dump forum.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Member RANGER RICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Arthury
    I Have the S&W PC Hunter 10.5 not sure what barrel it has and or what type of rifling just factory . The PC is very accurate with hard cast lead bullets . I like large heavy bullets my favorite is a 700 grain bullet that I have dialed in at 115 yards . I have shot thousands of the 700 grainers without a single problem well one problem , recoil busted my scope rings and my scope !!!!
    I have actually never shot any jacketed rounds through my PC why buy jacketed when I can roll my own . Had a friend give me many different weights of jacketed bullets . I loaded a couple hundred rounds of them and put them on the shelf just never shot any .
    As you know it takes a lot of time behind the 500 to get good at it .
    I know you reload but do you cast for it . You can actually develop a cast bullet that your revolver will like , just tweak the lead mix a little until you find a lead bullet that works .

    RR


    Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    Hi folks,

    I currently own a 4" M500 S&W. I am thinking about a longer barrel version for range shooting and perhaps hunting when I am good at it.
    As some of you may recognize from our previous conversations about reloading the 500SW cartridge, I reload all of my cartridges, usually towards the hotter end of the spectrum.

    Based on your experiences or readings, which model of the S&W M500 has the best accuracy at 25 yards?

    I am itching for the 10.5" hunter version with the Lothar Walther bbl.
    The specs says they use a polygonal rifling. Does it mean it is not safe to shoot lead-cast bullets through it, just like the Glock bbl? Some people think that when the velocity of the bullet is high, bare lead may not engrave as well as on polygonal rifling vs conventional rifling; thus, may reduce accuracy.


    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!


    USS SARATOGA CV-60

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    515

    Default

    OK RR. How do you determin what to tweak? Trial and error or are there indicators to help in deciding what to tweak. More or less tin? Any info appreciated.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    [...]
    I have shot thousands of the 700 grainers without a single problem well one problem , recoil busted my scope rings and my scope !!!!
    [...]
    Thank you so much for your responses.

    Yes, I had the same experience busting my gun's rear iron sights and had to send the gun back to S&W for repair.
    So, is your gun now scope-less or did you replace it with something else?
    What's the most durable solution for this gun in terms of scopes?

    And, yes, I do cast 500SW bullets myself. My mould is Elmer Keith style SWC. I also have read Veral Smith's book and still am digesting the contents.

  9. #9
    Member RANGER RICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    704

    Default

    arthury

    I have a Leupold on the scope from the get go . Leupold fixed it no questions asked , after a couple thousand rounds of full magnum rounds
    the scope started to fog up so it lost its seal . For myself the Leupold is very strong and is my first choice .
    Sounds like your on the right track with rolling your own .
    Monotype is your friend !!!

    RR





    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!


    USS SARATOGA CV-60

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bakerton, WV
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Try a BFR in .500 S&W and don't turn back.
    On the subject, I have 100 new Starlines cases for sale. $51.30 and if I can send a prepaid box to AK, I will pay postage. I got an order with more then I can use. Mail me at jameswbrm@aol.com.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    [...]
    I have a Leupold on the scope from the get go . Leupold fixed it no questions asked , after a couple thousand rounds of full magnum rounds
    the scope started to fog up so it lost its seal . For myself the Leupold is very strong and is my first choice .
    [...]
    What Leopold model would you recommend for this type of revolver?
    I understand that Nikon scopes have life-time warranty as well.

  12. #12
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    I have no experiences with any other than the JRC 500 but, that one is a tack driver, for sure.
    Steve

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    191

    Default

    I have finally taken delivery of the said gun (the 10.5" M500PC). The dynamics of its discharge is quite different from the 4" counterpart. The smaller gun has a full swing upwards and gripping the gun for 50 rounds without a glove will most certainly give me a blister.
    The longer gun, however, has a lot less upward swing but serves a hard punch directly backwards into the hand. It has a rifle feel .. except it's a revolver.

    Accuracy is exquisite using iron-sights. I have tried it to 25 yards so far.

    Scope is arriving next week ... we shall see.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •