Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Boss issues during this hunt season??? anyone???

Default Big Boss issues during this hunt season??? anyone???

Would like to pool info together from all the Big Boss owners to hear about any issues or problems. I'll start:
    I was very impressed with the capabilities of the 6by and my hunting partner kept saying "I take every bad comment back about PO po's" the whole trip. The only issue I had was on severe downhills while engine braking I would get the occasional rachet through the driveline. I heard this does happen in 4x4 ADC which is why I did not use it but still had the issue in all 6 mode and just the rear 4's. I can't accept its normal and have to get to the bottom of that one. The ONLY other issue was I only got to use the front winch once and think I may have wasted the money on the rear winch :-0.
    Yesterday I did a 3 hour cleaning job removing tires and all and thoroughly inspected my a arm welds and all looks great and performed just fine as I expected it would after the time I put into it. I will say those rear Ricochette a arm guards are just a huge bowl to catch mud roots and rocks so I will modify or make something with the welder.
    I put a 53" bull in the bed and my gear in the trailer and basically walked it out 10 hours to the truck stuck free while towing a 4 wheeler with a meat trailer through the thick stuff behind me. Also experienced having it hunker on the rear 4 and climbing without fronts on ground.....wow, like a billy goat. I just read the thread about clogged radiator and overheating and was worried about this but didn't have an issue. I will do something with the expanded metal on the brush guard so I can at least clean behind it, I like the extra protection from alder going through the radiator so may make it easily removable or swing down style.
    A not so success story from someone I know that was also basically breaking in his 13 Boss this moose season I found out from him last night.... Something happend with his t-bap causing his fan to catch on fire and 2000 dollars damage. Apparently he had to stop every 5 minutes after that to let it cool down and it took him 5 days to get out. That's a bit scary.....I had 4 full flat fuel cells stacked on my front rack totalling 16 gallons, a fan fire would not have made my day!
    Anybody else have positives or negatives to share? Anyone else have input on the rachetting issue?

After breaking a lower control arm bolt and bending about every component on my middle axle right side right before moose season I came up with a potential fix of my own by welding the differential straps top and bottom to the lower control arm mounting tabs, I'd like to think it stiffened things up a little. I put 120 miles on my 2012 BB and came out with a huge load with no major problems but I did overheat one time. I'm not sure why it overheated because my radiator was spotless. I also have the same ratcheting issues that seem to be getting worse. Matanuska-Susitna-20130829-01705.jpg

I too hauled a huge load with my '13 Big Boss and had no major issues but am experiencing the same ratcheting y'all are. I had my bed full of gear to the top of my custom rack plus a meat trailer full :-) of moose! I climbed hills and went down hills and the only issue I had was the stress of having to wonder if one of my control arm bolts was going to break. Oh, and the amount of gas I used compared to the 500HO with me. But I knew about that before I bought it. Everyone in my part was flat out impress with the stability and brute force of this machine. I think I'll keep it :-) I do plan on beefing up the control arms though!

Yea,it looks like the rachetting issue should be figured out. Seems about everyone is seeing this in there machines and there must be something array there that's causing it if some are seeing more frequent as the miles add up! Other than that.....what a BRUTE

Just got back from a 120mi round trip on my new to me 09 Big Boss and had issues with the starter not engaging and broke an A arm bolt about 5 mi from the truck. I had a spare one with but decided to just limp it along to the truck. Hope I didn't do to much more damage. Up until today I was pretty dang impressed with these rigs and what they will haul and go through. Now having second thoughts but ill give it another go. Has anyone had any chromoly A arm bolts made or tried another material? I thought I read something that AlaskanSD may have?? I also have the ratcheting issue. I remember riding other polaris atvs that also have done this. Typical polaris...my .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

500 miles on my 2010 big boss, no broken bolts,no ratcheting noise. Runs very warm and overheats when radiator gets plugged, and it plug's way to easy. I'm going to pull the thermostat, even when it's not hot it almost burns your legs. fuel milage is horrible, you don't dare go more than 18 miles on a tank.
    It has lots of power,hauls a big load rides great and has lots of clearance so it goes great in the mud.

I also have a 2006 500 six wheeler never overheats,goes 45 miles on a tank,but has chains in the rear. Polaris should have used the 700cc engine on the new one, they get much better milage.

Interesting point I hunt with someone that has a new ranger 800 and it uses half the fuel that I do on my big boss,same engine.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post

Interesting point I hunt with someone that has a new ranger 800 and it uses half the fuel that I do on my big boss,same engine.
    The new Ranger 800s have a different fuel injection system..

fuel milage is horrible, you don't dare go more than 18 miles on a tank.

i agree the mileage is pretty bad but we just got 40-45mi on a tank with 2 machines. Still had room to go as the fuel light hasn't started blinking yet. What is the best mileage anyone has gotten?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post

What is the best mileage anyone has gotten?
    On our August Caribou hunt, I got 31 miles to a tank on the way in. I had a light load and ran high gear to achieve that. The week after we went on a cross country ball buster trip and I was bone dry in 14 miles..

Coming out this year with one bull and gear...low gear and awd I rode with the fuel light blinking for quite a ways wanting to run it dry to see how I could do on mileage but decided to fuel up at 13 miles not wanting to sputter at an unoportuned time. Ya pay for power they say.

mjm316 - that A-Arm bolt mod was all Cwoods. I can't take any credit for that, although I have intentions of copying him after my first failure. But it hasn't happened yet!

The racheting is very common. Hunt'N Photos investigated it at length with his dealer. He posted this over on my thread last summer:

Yes, that is a problem that Polaris still hasnt addressed. It is because of the gear design in the transmision. The bevel of the backside of the gears causes them to partially disengage when your going down a hill. On mine so far it has only been on a really steep hill with a heavy load. Everyone I know with a newer 6x6 has had it happen if they have come down anything real steep and relied on the ADC. If you ride your brakes or are able to feather your throttle down without building up too much speed it will not happen, but that completely negates the usefulness of the ADC. I was pretty upset when the dealer tore mine apart and we found that out! I guess it happens even more in the Ranger's because of its weight!

He also said that they tried putting a stronger spring in the tranny to hold them together better, but it really didn't change anything. No solutions have emerged, but also no major failures either, other than the unsettling noise and perhaps a couple metal flakes in the oil.

Also, you can NOT rely on the factor fuel guage. It frequently sends erroneous levels, perhaps because of engine heat? But if you want to know your exact current fuel level, I would suggest a physical dipstick or similar.

With my set up, assuming I'm starting off with both tanks full, I run my stock tank for about 10-15 miles (should be down about 25-30 REAL percent at that point - regardless of what the guage says). Then I open the valve on my aux tank and let it trickle in. I just leave it then until I stop riding for good (for the night, or back to the truck). I haven't taken any rides longer than 70 miles, so I've never ran out of gas yet.

Great thread - glad to hear your fix performed well CWoods!

20130913_110655.jpgThanks SD,it was a good test for sure. Also thanks for reposting the info on the rachetting issue....I somehow missed that and it saves me some diagnosing on the machine. I was doing exactly that to keep it from happening...throttle or brake. It would just be nice to let it work as its intended and decend more smoothly and safely with big loads.I figured the only accurate and true test fo4 fuel milage is to let it run dry.....although I kept putting that off as close to empty was always around steep climbs and water crossings. The whole trip in and out is 12 hours each way and walking speed in awd working it pretty rough so Im not too disappointed in consumption.

2012 Big Boss, over 700 miles, have hauled out at least 1/2 dozen moose over rough terrain with the bed rubbing on the rear tires over the bumps. Haven't broke a bolt yet. Although a friend of mine broke his last week. I have the same ratcheting issue and it is very disturbing to me, I go down all of the big hills in HI riding the brakes. (Just like the old 6-wheelers). I did have a bolt fall out of my RH side front A-ARM going down a trail, and was lucky enough to find it and put it back in. 2 days later found the other bolt on the same A-ARM holding on by a thread, appears they forgot the locktight! Radiator seems to be mounted high enough to not cause any issues. Have blown both the main and accy. 20amp fuses, no idea why, replaced them and haven't had a problem since. Also did a comparison with 3 other 6-wheelers (sportsman 500's) 19 miles in low range 6wd slogging through swamps. Used exactly 1/2 of a gallon more. Not bad, my opinion is that as soon as you let off the gas on the 800's the engine braking grabs it, the older ones coast, I'll bet if you removed the EB they would get the same mpg.

I just put the first 200 miles on my 2013. It is the workhorse I was looking for. I don't have any complaints. Headed into camp I went 19 miles to the tank. That was in low range crawling through the swamp with my gear and food for three (we eat like kings) for a week. The most I got was 35 miles to a tank with no load crossing various terrain.

The clicking noise is in the front end,there's a gear that when taken out shows no signs of wear but if replaced the noise stops. The outpost in Fairbanks knows about this problem and will fix it under warranty provided that you have one.

That transmission noise is a old problem where they tried a heavier spring to keep a gear engaged.

One other issue that may be a problem,it happened to a friend, the gas tank vent goes up into the instrument pod and the gas fumes may have caused it to fail. I'm relocating mine.

After watching these things in the mud, super impressed! Last week at moose camp a member of our crew cracked off the top of the a-arm bolt hole, so he had to limp it out. Only thing in the bed was a hind quarter and a passenger weighing about 160lbs when he thinks it happened. I asked him if this is the first problem hes had, "Nope" he said, he's bent the left arm in the rear already, thank god it was under warranty. You would think for the slap-in-the-jewels price tag, that Polaris would be making some higher quality parts......
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Thanks TS for that info - I have the clicking noise in the front end currently, but haven't worried about it.

2013 Big Boss, 54 miles moose hunting towing a trailer. Right Front a arm bolt loose on the trail,held by 3 threads no locktite on it. Rear ratchets going downhill as well but I knew this was common or at least a symptom. I have owned a lot of bikes but none go as good or where this one will. I think riding double takes less effort than riding one person on the 4 wheeler.

I rode a 1996 425 and 1998 Big Boss 500 with engine braking for 13 years and only had a couple of chain issues and mpg was similar. Bought the 2011 Big Boss a couple of years ago and have about 450 miles on it. At about 200 miles and out of factory warranty had a bearing replaced that was causing the thing to shift hard. I ate the cost because the original dealer was incompetent and never fixed it when I brought it to them. They are out of buisness and I don't miss them. Other then that the 2011 Big Boss wears 26" Mud Lite XL's and is a beast. I have seen nothing else I can ride that does what it does and I enjoy it. I am worried about A-arm bolts and carry spares and I think the frame should be stouter. I try to treat it well on the trail, but some times it is not possible. I carry 2 of the koplin 4 gal. fuel packs on my home made bed rack and would not leave the drive way with out them being full. It is a big gas guzzler and uses twice the fuel my son-in-law's 2011 800 Ranger uses. They are similar engines, but not the same. I have no ratcheting noise and the ADC and engine braking work great. Fix the A-arm bolts, beef up the frame, go to a bigger fuel tank and put the high torque and fuel efficient Razor 570 engine in it and I will buy it. I think my wifes 2013 Razor 570 LE gets about 120 to 140 miles out of a 7 gal tank and shifts very smoothly. If the new 570 Ranger had 6 wheels and the right cluthing I would buy it. I don't need to go over 20 miles per hour, just need lots of torque. I think CanAm has come out with a 1,000 cc 6 wheeler that you ride instead of drive. I never ran out of power with the 1998 500 in low gear, a 1,000 cc, what the heck.

I forgot to mention my "check engine" is on for some reason. It does not stay on all the time. It's not over heating and the oil and other fluids are good., air filter is clean, etc. It does seem a little fuel starved once in awhile. So I am betting something is wrong with the fuel injection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast