Thread: Any spare stuff or wanting to unload?

Default Any spare stuff or wanting to unload?

I am looking to get more into tying flies then I have been and if you guys have anything you want to get rid of or sell like old tools or materials I will sure pay my 5 or 10% to the forum so I dont get introuble just looking to get my stock up and ready for winter. How is 3 rivers fly shop there in Wasilla? new to the area and I drove by the other day but they were closed. poked my head around the windows for a few and looked nice?

3 Rivers is a bit pricey, but the guys there are very knowledgeable. The fly tying supply section at Sportsman's is alright and moderately priced, but sometimes if you're looking for something specific they won't have it (or know what you're talking about). Sometimes if you keep a lookout for hair-extension type-stuff on sale you can get some decent material on the cheap. I just picked up a bunch of orange, pink, and chartreuse glow-in-the-dark halloween hair-extensions for a buck each in the dollar section at Target that caught my eye. Not sure what I'm going to use them for, but they were a good deal lol!

Unfortunately I don't have any extra fly tying stuff to unload on ya.
    Three Rivers is a great little shop. Good guys working in there. They will take the time to answer your questions and BS with you. As for price, I haven't been to a fly shop that wasn't expensive, so know you will pay retail in a retail shop. You must have stopped by there on Sunday to find them closed.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Hah you got it, then they were closed mon. Im going to swing by there in a few today.

The problem that I have had a Sportsman's is ya their materials are less expensive but they also have half the material. Look at how long the chenille is or the thread on the spool. Now keep in mind that I teach fly tying for 3 Rivers but we also have a tying get together in the winters on Sat. around 9 am, bring your own gear if you have it. While there tying with us the fly tying material is 10% off plus free instruction on patterns that you wish to tie, beat that at sportsman's.

Just saw on the fly fishing side that you are stationed here. Ask at 3 Rivers for a military discount, I think they have one.

George

3 Rivers has quality fly tying material & a good selection. Hello George, Michael here. Your new hook remover has had quite the work out. When you get back, lets wet a line. MET
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    The problem that I have had a Sportsman's is ya their materials are less expensive but they also have half the material. Look at how long the chenille is or the thread on the spool. Now keep in mind that I teach fly tying for 3 Rivers but we also have a tying get together in the winters on Sat. around 9 am, bring your own gear if you have it. While there tying with us the fly tying material is 10% off plus free instruction on patterns that you wish to tie, beat that at sportsman's.

Just saw on the fly fishing side that you are stationed here. Ask at 3 Rivers for a military discount, I think they have one.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass417 View Post
    ...a bit pricey....
    Truth is, the sources for fly tying material are boiling down to just a few companies like Hareline, Spirit River, Montana Fly Goods and Wapsi. Wherever you go, you're likely to run into the same suppliers selling the same stuff for basically the same prices. Any time you find "reasonable" prices, in truth you're probably just buying a smaller package.

I've managed to cut corners on the price of things like strung saddles and marabou, chenille, thread, tinsel yarns and such by going "outside" the usual supply stream. Web searches have led to suppliers for the costume industry, sewing, , basket making and more. Wherever they're getting their supplies, some things are ridiculously cheap compared to the usual fly tying sources. But you gotta hunt for them, and often be prepared to buy an ounce or a skein, rather than a few feathers or yards.

I'm regretting last winter's decision to try some cheap hook sources. Clearly they're mostly Tiemco hooks repackaged, based on model numbers. But they're so comparatively cheap, there has to be a catch. And I found it. I'm sure these companies are buying bulk Tiemco seconds and rejects for next to nothing and repackaging. Why do I say that? Because they break like soda crackers right at the bend. Something like 3 out of 4 when you are hooked up to fish. Might be fine for trout, but they don't stand up to salmon for poot. I just dumped over $200 worth of "bargain" hooks in the trash.

They sure must be doing good business to be closed all the time. I've stopped by there numerous times during fishing season and closed. What's up?

Monday through Friday I think they are open noon to seven and Saturday they close at six. They may be open earlier than that, im not sure.

I just talked with Tom and he says Mike is out hunting so its just him working. Store hours are10 to 6 mon thru fri 9 to 5\6 on sat.

I think thats the guy i ran into. said the owner was out but nice little store over all. plan on going back and stalking up.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post

George
    Will do thanks!

send me a message. I have some stuff I haven't used in years
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Here's a crappy picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlyFishing stuff 001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	74001 of the stuff I have
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy