Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy and range on small 4 stroke outboards

Default Fuel economy and range on small 4 stroke outboards

What is the fuel economy or range on most new 2.5-3.5 hp portable outboards, like the Suzuki 2.5 hp or a 16' canoe carrying 800 lbs? I have looked on various sites and no dice. Thanks for insights.....

Ron

I get about a 45min run time at full throttle out of my 3 1/2 merc. Using your 16' canoe it will move you about 12mph with one person and maybe 3mph with the load you asked about.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

take it out on your local lake an try it out , as our lakes an streams are shllow an rocky an we pull it some, what we do is iffey for your lakes an rivers , when most of us go on trips we use frighters of some type, with larger motors , so load your canoe up an go, see how far you go on a quart an do the math also give your self a safty cash on the gas , SID

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I get about a 45min run time at full throttle out of my 3 1/2 merc. Using your 16' canoe it will move you about 12mph with one person and maybe 3mph with the load you asked about.
    Will, I don't know the size of your fuel tank. If you factor that in, what would be your MPG with that setup, loaded and with only one person and gear? This could be really good info for folks.

In fact, if we could get some of you to send in actual numbers like this, we could put it on the site as a chart for folks looking for this info. I think it could be really useful.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    take it out on your local lake an try it out , as our lakes an streams are shllow an rocky an we pull it some, what we do is iffey for your lakes an rivers , when most of us go on trips we use frighters of some type, with larger motors , so load your canoe up an go, see how far you go on a quart an do the math also give your self a safty cash on the gas , SID
    I havent purchased the outboard yet. I bought the canoe and now will be the outboard. Max hp is 3, but I was thinking a 2.5 to 3.5 would work. I just dont have the range numbers. I figured max weight would be 800 lbs.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I have a 3.5 Tohatsu long shaft, it runs about 45 mins on the little tank (.26 gallon) that is built into it no matter the load. It pushed two different tenders out in PWS this summer and burned the same pushing either one.

One thing to look at is the weight on the motors, a 2.5 and 3.5 tohatsu weigh the same (41 lbs) so why not get the bigger one for the extra HP. You might also want to look and make sure you can hook an external tank to the motor, so you don't have to keep dumping fuel in the built in tank.. My 3.5 does not have that option so I carry 2.5 gallons with me all the time because I want to avoid having to row my raft 2 miles (again).
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have a 2 hp Honda long shaft/28 lbs. It also runs about 45 mins on a liter wide open. Trolling along slow it will run all afternoon on a tank.

800# seems to be quit a load for any canoe, and the MPG could very in any condition from weight, which way you are going (up stream, down stream) and I would guess you could not really measure consistency on any given day the same numbers. Take the canoe out and go ten miles measure the MPG and cut that in half or more for that weight and you may have some sort of idea. Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

This what I have been told/read so far... does this seem right?

Screen shot 2013-09-20 at 6.59.34 AM.png

Rowing speed 2-3mph Range: As long as your arms last : )

So with a 3.5hp outboard the sweet spot is keeping the weight is 500 pounds at 7mph.

Thanks again for all your insights.....

Ron

Jist remember the small eng's only have one cyl. an it will vibrate a lot more than 2 cyl. , also what type of prop saver is it has , sheer pin or slip cluch the slip . cluch is the best , you never have to replace it [ built into the prop ] the pin breaks when you need it the most
    MY 2 CTS SID

Ron your graph looks about right. I will add the when running light max speed at WOT is about the same as 3/4 throttle and you can same a little gas that way. With just you in the canoe at WOT you get 36mpg with no current against you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    800# seems to be quit a load for any canoe
    The original Grumman Sport Boats were rated at 1000 lbs before the Coast Guard changed the way they measure that) and the current Wenonah Backwaters are rated at 1000 pounds, so 800 seems to be a reasonable load estimate; especially when you consider the weight of people (two men probably = half your load capacity),t he weight of gear and animal. We don't which canoe he bought, so don't know for sure. I think it's more a matter of how much can you load and still have freeboard and safe handling more than rating on a data plate.

I don't know about fuel consumption, but Ill say you're going to be moving pretty slow. My Grumman Sport Boat, with 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha, loaded with me, 11 year old, and yellow lab, moves just under 7 mph on flat water. Change that to 800 pounds and smaller motor = slow, but that's still probably faster than paddles and a lot easier.

BTW, with that load, it ran for an hour on 1/2 of the built in one-quart tank. I didn't go into the external tank at all. So figuring 6mph and 1/8 gallon per hour (this is unloaded mind you, well, 400 pounds-520 if you add in the weight of the boat) that works out to be about 48 mpg. (No current to fight.)

I have started looking for a small outboard for my canoe as well. Honda is advertising 1 hour run time with their 2.3 HP wot. Its smaller than the 2.5 to 3.5 but Hondas only model close to that range. I want to say its @29lbs and has a 1.1 liter gas tank and doesn't allow for external tanks.

I have a 2 hp short shaft Honda I use to get up a river(quiet sections)... and I change the gas in it every Fall. TO my knowledge it never uses any gas..lol

Every year I take a 2 gallon jug, and bring back... 2 gallons..

all kidding aside.. they are ridiculously economical.

Also if the motor you get is not set up for external tank you can not just add a fitting and start using one as the motor will have no fuel pump.

Or you could get a Torqueedo electic outboard. They make models from 1-9.9HP, plus a 70HP. The Travel 1003 is a 3HP:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-...up-to-1-5-tons

If you add the portable solar panel, you could run forever, especially during our long Alaskan summer days, and never buy (or smell) gasoline again:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-...ght-and-travel

I'm not a "greenie", but, products that enable us to get "off the grid" interest me. And since canoes are such efficient watercraft, they are able to take advantage of these alternative power sources.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Or you could get a Torqueedo electic outboard. They make models from 1-9.9HP, plus a 70HP. The Travel 1003 is a 3HP:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-...up-to-1-5-tons

If you add the portable solar panel, you could run forever, especially during our long Alaskan summer days, and never buy (or smell) gasoline again:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-...ght-and-travel

I'm not a "greenie", but, products that enable us to get "off the grid" interest me. And since canoes are such efficient watercraft, they are able to take advantage of these alternative power sources.
    I've seen those. Not no but heck no. Absolutely not. Using a solar panel to keep that battery charged for continuous operation would require a panel the size of an ice skating rink. Carrying enough batteries to keep it running continuously would sink any freighter canoe in Alaska. And once the battery is dead, you can't just pour more juice into it. No thanks.

I'll stick with my gas powered engines. Weight for horsepower and weight for fuel energy, they are MILES ahead of those torqueedo things. I much prefer to be able to carry a 5 gal jerry can in my canoe and refil from that; be able to borrow or buy fuel from a passerby on the river, or from a lodge or something.

Electric trolling motors are great for short trips UPstream (you can always float back downstream to your truck) or for local lakes. Anyone who goes on an extended trip or into the back country with one is asking for trouble.

The big question is range and the amount of fuel needed. What is the longest canoe trip you have taking, miles wise? and how much fuel do you plan on taking? Would you float most of the way or use the motor? Here is a hypothetical situation..... You want to float/motor your way from the Yukon river bridge on the haul road, to Beaver and back or say from Eagle to the Kandik river and back? Thanks again for all your info.....

.............. keep my nose out of this SID

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast