Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us your trailers

Default Show us your trailers

After working at the Jim Creek cleanup and seeing all the different types of meat trailers out there, I thought it would be interesting to see pictures of all the different styles. I just sold one that I thought didn't really serve my purpose. With your picture give us a quick description and the pro's and con's of it especially those custom built ones!! Thanks and looking forward to seeing some shots! EricL

What? No-one uses meat trailers out there!!

Have a friend who has a very nice very expensive aluminum meat wagon with a A style angled top with doors on each side that open up almost like an Ice Cream cart or something. Wish I could get a picture of it, maybe this weekend.

Heres a pic of the trailers we use for bear camp. Mine is the one behind the red 6X6 (farthest on the left with 2 buckets on it). Its all aluminum with a cover. Its not bad but kinda big to be hauling all over the state, so I leave it up in Tok. Only thing I am gonna do to it that I dont like is that I am gonna make the lid removable for the big loads. When I made the lid I made so it opens from the back to the front so if it doesnt close all the way, it wont snag on trees, etc. Right now I can carry 2 152 qt coolers and have room to spare. its decent size.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...rent=016-1.jpg

Mine is a simple trailer, nothing fancy. A friend welded the frame (sort of rectangular shape) made of angle iron, a square pipe for axle, and a square pipe for tongue. The tongue plus axle look much like a "T". The box was made by Holladay Parks in Fairbanks, and fits right in the frame between the tires. I bought two ATV knobby tires at Six Robles (or is it Four Robles?) for around $160.00. The tire kits come with two hubs, seals, bearings, grease cap, and lug nuts. I also bought a small coupler, and two spindles to fit the hubs. Total cost was around $550.00, but this was years ago.

I later added a frame made of 1/2" copper pipes, and glued the rain-proof top. I bought the material and the glue at Tent & Tarp, and took my time working on it. The back end has a vertical slit with a small flap at one side. The flap has a long piece of Velcro, and the mating Velcro piece is on the edge of the slit. This way the back end is also a door I can open when I need to. The bottom edges of the cover has military (twist-type) fasteners instead of snaps, simply because snaps fill with mud and fail to close.

You will notice that the tires are mostly under the box's sides, and this stops some of the mud from flying around. I have hauled a least 12 moose on that trailer for the past 10 years, some mine, and some from my hunting partners. My hunting partner bought one made by Holladay Parks, and this one has a very solid metallic bog like mine, plus a goose-neck tongue that has a large box in front to carry gas or water cans. Mine only has a small tray with enough room for two 5-gal cans. The goose-neck tongue is great for riding through the mud, but the wider box (wider than mine) makes it more difficult to ride on very narrow trails, but the box acts as mud flaps keeping the mud away from him.
    Last edited by RayfromAK; 05-23-2007 at 20:07.

Hey guys thanks alot. Blink, that was perfect. Able to see several different trailers in one picture. Trying to decide if I just need to build one myself or try to find what I am looking for...Thanks again..Eric

I made a mistake, its the one on the right not the left. The trailer behind the ranger is real nice. Its big enough where I'm pretty sure I can put my yamaha in it if I had to. Its a nice double axled with suspension. we can fit alot of crap in that one. the one in the middle was originally made for a 3 wheeler so its kinda narrow but works if you watch what your going over. its been known to flip upside down a time or 2.

On mine, one other thing I did was kinda made the tongue into a ski. Since its made out of alluminum, I had to re-inforce the tongue and since I had cross braces, I threw a piece of alluminum under it angling up like a ski. She slides right up and over logs, mud, etc.

I have another one that I keep here in anchorage thats smaller. the tub (plastic) is the size of a 152qt cooler and I made it out of 1" square tubing. Its cheap but works for weekend trips and trips where I'm not bringing alot of crap with me.

I own two and both are in the back yard. They just returned from the welders where I had a couple of modifications done to them after our last trip out.
    I am to lazy to post pictures but you are willing to shoot me a pm and stop by the house and take a lookie lou.
    I live in Eagle River
    Tennessee

Mine is a 2 inch frame with a 100 gal rubbermaid tub. I wish it was the 150 gal but it works pretty good. I haul all my gear on the quad so that leaves the tub for just meat. I attached an old fashioned metal milk crate to the toungue where I haul gas, rope and whatever else will fit. I made a swivel hitch for it to keep from breaking anything if I turn it over. A tarp thrown over the top with a ratchet strap makes it waterproof.

Ideally I'd like to have one a little bigger with 4 tires on a walking axle. One axle with a big hub on each side with a piece of flat stock with 2 short axle/hubs with the tires on them.

One entire 40 inch bull in these two picks. All meat and the rack. Same bull.

One 69 incher including the hide in these two.

This is the one I use when we go hunting works as a small camper also untill we get a moose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger, now that is a trailer!! Eric

Default Meat trailer

Sorry about the bad picture, trying to get the hang of this.

Custom t-3 aluminum. Made to follow the footprint of an argo. Works great for cross country runs. Very stable, not alot of banging on the hummocks. I made three, this one is brand new and also for sale. Anyone interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Snyd....

I know I have seen the trailer you speak of with the rotating sets of wheels. I would like to make one like that. Do you or anyone else know where I can locate plans or a detailed photo/drawing of the axle assembly? I can manufacture the rest on my own, but I don't fully understand the rotation thing. Is it one heavy axle that makes a T where the hub would normally be? And at the ends of the T is where the hubs would attach? What is used for the swivel off of the main axle?

I have access to hubs and the material and I know a guy who has an aluminum welder!!

Not sure about detailed photos or plans but these guys use that system.
    http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com
    I have seen trailers here built with that axle setup. Yes, your description is correct. The main swivle off the axle as you say is just another axle and big bearing.

Picture a normal axle, in place of the tire mount a piece of square tubing (say 1.5"x 28" long). At each end of the tubing mount the real spindles,hubs and tires.

I have built plenty of trailers and what I don't understand is why they have the tongue attached the way they do in the link Snyd provided. Sure doesn't appear to be designed for strength unless I'm missing something.

I would be curious as to how gas cans or gear fair on the front of a meat wagon. Seems like they would get real muddy and may be better off mounted to the back. Yes/no?

Dual tandem trailers (four ATV tires) are very nice, specially one like the one shown at the link below. This one has an all-welded aluminum box, and the sides of the box extend to the sides over the tires, thus serving as mud flaps.

Four tires ride higher through the mud, and aluminum is much lighter than steel. This is a good thing, with the trailer in the picture, but the added tires makes the trailer much heavier than a similar trailer that has two tires only.

Another very important feature in some meat trailers is the cargo box I mentioned before, and those in here who use meat trailers each year understand the benefit of such thing. For example, it's not a good idea to carry water or fuel in the trailer's box along the hunting gear, clothing, sleeping bag, etc. Also, it's a terrible idea to carry meat in a trailer where fuel was spilled. If the trailer has a cargo box right, on the tongue and in front of the main box, then one can carry all the fuel and water needed at the campsite. This cargo box is not more than a cage with an open top. The floor and sides are made of the diamond-shape (open holes) material used in some floors for trailers. So one can load the fuel and water containers, and secure them with elastic straps hooked to the top edges of the box.

http://www.tagalongak.com/

Please note that the aluminum box on this trailer looks great, but I would prefer a trailer that has a cargo box right in front of the trailer box. That's only possible with a trailer that has a longer tongue, and one that is lower to the ground by the beginning of the goose-neck.

A very important thing to have on the trailer is a rain cover, and if you hunt long enough during moose season, sooner or later you will find out how important that is. Most of the trailers shown here are very low, so if you can have a cover that extends up like mine (and another posted here), you can carry the lightweight stuff (sleeping bags, roll beds, etc.) on top of the heavy stuff out to the truck from the campsite. There is a lot of wasted room just above the sides of the trailer, unless you make some good use of it. If it's raining, the cover keeps things dry.

That said, I can turn my trailer on a dime through the trees, because it has a single set of tires.

Thumbs up comments...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Not sure about detailed photos or plans but these guys use that system.
    http://www.mountaingoattrailers.com
    Yup, that's the kind I was thinking about. One of those pics shows a nice shot of the T. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I have built plenty of trailers and what I don't understand is why they have the tongue attached the way they do in the link Snyd provided. Sure doesn't appear to be designed for strength unless I'm missing something.

I would be curious as to how gas cans or gear fair on the front of a meat wagon. Seems like they would get real muddy and may be better off mounted to the back. Yes/no?
    I believe the tongue is necked like that so that it does not bottom out when the wheeler takes a sudden drop. Look at the pic with the yellow wheeler in it, when the back tires of the machine drop off that large rock, there is the possibility that the tongue would hang up on the rock and possibly keep the rear tires off the ground. That's my thought process anyway As far as gas cans and such on front...well, they may get muddy, but I'd rather have mud on my tank than fuel on my meat. That being said, I'm not sure why they couldn't go in the back outside the wagon???
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Four tires ride higher through the mud, and aluminum is much lighter than steel. This is a good thing, with the trailer in the picture, but the added tires makes the trailer much heavier than a similar trailer that has two tires only...That said, I can turn my trailer on a dime through the trees, because it has a single set of tires.
    Good Point on the weight issue Ray. I hadn't thought about the turning radius on the tandem trailers either... hmmm, anyone have experience with one? What do you say about turning capabilities?

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. Making lots of mental notes. Looking at getting me a WF welder and having some fun with this. Do you ever think there just isn't enough time in a day to do everything you WANT to do? Not even counting the things you HAVE to do!! Thanks again! EricL

Default I'm with you on that!

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. Making lots of mental notes. Looking at getting me a WF welder and having some fun with this. Do you ever think there just isn't enough time in a day to do everything you WANT to do? Not even counting the things you HAVE to do!! Thanks again! EricL
    I know the feeling! You are going to love that welder...untill you see the price of steel All kidding aside, you can build anything your mind can dream up with a little practice and a good set of plans (drawn up BEFORE you start). Have fun!

Talking I've got one for sale

I can't do pictures quite yet.
    PM meand I'll send one via e-mail.

It is a home made steel axle, galvanized frame, aluminum
    bottom, and wood box. Pulls nice and the box locks up
    nice and tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast