Thread: Weight Restriction on trails

Cool Weight Restriction on trails

Has anyone had any issues with weight restrictions on trails. Just doing some checking on the 1500 lb weight restriction and found DNR and BLM use two different standards. DNR uses curb weight ( machine full of gas and fluids only ) while BLM use GVWR ( weight of machine and its max published hauling/carrying weight). Why 2 standards? Also just found out that side x sides are not allowed on White Mountains Quarts Creek Trail but you see them all the time. Are the laws just not being enforced? How many other trails have side x sides banned? I'm considering buying a side x side but I'm wondering now if that would be a smart move or not. I was considering the Ranger 900 but several friends are telling me to get the Ranger 800 6x6. The 6x6 weight is 1551 lbs dry while the 900 is around 1300 lbs. Both would be banned by BLM standards and just the 6x6 Ranger would be banned by DNR standards.

Just wondering if anybody has had any issues or been ticketed. I would really hate to spend that kind of money and have issues or banned from areas because I own a side x side (cheaper then buying 2 4-wheelers). Thanks and look forward to hearing more on this issue since SxS are getting really popular. Thanks

170 views and no response??? Lots of side x sides out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with weight restrictions on trails. Just doing some checking on the 1500 lb weight restriction and found DNR and BLM use two different standards. DNR uses curb weight ( machine full of gas and fluids only ) while BLM use GVWR ( weight of machine and its max published hauling/carrying weight). Why 2 standards?
    Why two standards? DNR = State Government, BLM = Federal Government. When was the last time you saw two different levels of government working under the same guidelines?

Sorry I don't know much about the issues you are asking about regarding side by sides and trail restrictions, so can't speak to that issue.

Maybe no one wants to admit that they have been operating ATV's over 1500 pounds on state land?
    I went round and round with DNR in 2010 over their "Generally Allowed Uses" fact sheet. The way I read it, one can take an SUV or pick up tuck on or off road on state land providing they stay to established trails wherever possible and do not contribute to the degradation of water , soil, or vegetation. Then it states that in order to use off road vehicles over 1500 pounds, one needs a permit. If one can take a 3/4 ton pickup that weighs over 6000 pounds off road, why does one need a permit of an "off road vehicle" that is 2000 pounds? This is ridiculous. Why not word it to say any vehicle under 10000 pounds? When I brought this to DNR's attention, they said that this did seem ambiguous and were in the process of updating anyway because they were aware that most side X sides were in excess of 1500 pounds. I then asked about the permit they have for operating an ATV over 1500 pounds, they told me good luck getting one of those. When I looked up the permit application on the DNR website I saw why, its a fairly lengthy form that asked for maps in a special size and format showing the proposed permit area as well as a plethora of other information that most people would not bother with. The only thing they updated was the date in the upper right hand corner of the document. (August 2011). This year in the parking lot of the trailhead where we start from to go hunting the Fish and Wildlife Trooper came through. With all the home made buggies and side X sides in the parking lot, (which are over the 1500 pound weight limit), he never once mentioned that people were operating vehicles that were over the weight limit. If it was an issue, he would have informed everyone. Buy what ever ATV you want and be safe.

We need to take care of our trails so they last

Talkeetnakid....I thought the same thing about people not wanting to admit they were using them anyway.

iyouktug.....I agree with you 100% but I think it has more to do with the people operating the machines instead the machines themselves. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. You break more stuff rushing/running like a mad man.

The polaris six wheel ranger weighs just over 1300 pounds,the older ones weighed 1500 pounds.

If you look on Polaris site they list the Ranger 800 6x6 dry weight at 1551 lbs. That is where they (DNR/BLM) get the published weight from.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Talkeetnakid....I thought the same thing about people not wanting to admit they were using them anyway.

iyouktug.....I agree with you 100% but I think it has more to do with the people operating the machines instead the machines themselves. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. You break more stuff rushing/running like a mad man.
    I do concur

I don't think they're enforced, and in some cases they don't matter. I rode a lot in Wrangell Park this year and the idiots (park rangers) issuing permits don't their as* from a hole in the ground and couldn't tell a Polaris Ranger from a Honda Foreman. Locals with special privileges and rights didn't give a sh*t what the Park said and rode all sorts of rangers with/without tracks all over the place; and they have 1,000lb weight limits there.

I thought Eureka had 1,000 lbs weight limits during hunting season on trails, but there was everything under the sun up there, as there should be.

Weight limits are something we should all be fighting tooth & nail. No reason whatsoever to have weight limits on existing trails; none!!

Tim

This is probably something that we should look into having changed. If the commies decide to push this issue and enforce the limits we'd be screwed. Btw, it's just a matter of time before a green-weenie gets on this solely to outlaw atv's and come after hunting in the name of saving the planet. Might want to try and change this while we have a friendly BoG and governor.

Tim