Thread: Anyone having problems with overheating wheelers do to clogged radiator.

Default Anyone having problems with overheating wheelers do to clogged radiator.

I only have this problem in the high country,the buck brush has so much pollen/dust and leaves it clog's the radiator so tight you can't clean it with a submersible pump. I've tried a wire brush, tooth brush. the only way I've found to get it clean is a pressure wash when I get home.

Anyone have a cure for this problem,I haven't figured out how to stop this while I'm hunting. I think it only happens with the 800 cc motors

On my Polaris 6x6 the radiator is down low and get a lot crap in it. I fixed the problem by putting two find mess wire screens one on the front of the radiator and the other an inch or two in front of it. The first one stop 90% the 2nd one the rest. I use a hose to clean the screens with out removing them.

Yes, exactly the problem I had. Putting the fine mesh screen in front seems to be the only solution. MacGyver, how did you keep the mesh screen in front? Did you attach them to something? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Yes, exactly the problem I had. Putting the fine mesh screen in front seems to be the only solution. MacGyver, how did you keep the mesh screen in front? Did you attach them to something? Thanks in advance.
    If I use anything to hold it in place It was a tie rap. I bent the edges over and it help make it stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If I use anything to hold it in place It was a tie rap. I bent the edges over and it help make it stiff.
    Thanks! Going to have to set up all the wheelers like this. Pretty impossible to get that crap out in the field!

I bought a pump like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AX5P3/...I12GXIW3JWY50L and added a hose to each end, a prefilter, and a nozzle on the other end. I can pack it all into a plastic ammo type can and I travel every where with it> Just for the reasons mentioned!!! A life saver!!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Thanks, good ideas. Can anyone post pictures of the mesh?

My hunt was cut short because of overheating, but upon inspection, tinkering, the fan wasn't turning on. Jumper wires to the fan confirmed it was working. Apparently the ECM went bad. Glad it happened close to the trail head and not 20 miles back!

While I do not have a good cure for this, I do play attention the cooling systems in our 4 wheelers and pressure wash them often. So far we have not had an issue but........
    Our current 4 wheelers have the winch in front of the screen that protects the radiator and is a pain to get off. I try and remove the winch and screen once or twice a year to give it a good clean out. I use a combo of 'super Clean' and the pressure washer. Seems to work OK for our machines.
    Last edited by AK Bearcat; 09-27-2013 at 08:54. Reason: spelling

I clean my radiator often. SLP makes a fine mesh that allows air through but not water. It would be an option. I cut the plastic on my ranger to allow me to pull the radiator pretty quick if I get in a bind. I can place the radiator in a river, tie a rope to it to secure, and let the river flush it overnight. This is a "get back to the truck" fix if needed.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I have this problem sometimes with my Rhino. I added a screen, as well as a heater core and heater system. Summit Racing sells a universal kit. You plumb in the heater core, remotely mounted wherever you can find room, and if you choose, add vents and hoses.
    The heater core adds fluid volume, and acts as an additional remote radiator.

Easier on a sxs, but doable on any wheeler.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default sence you know that th sceen will fill up

I would have several secondary screens that are matched to fit and simple to replace on the trail .One could use bailing wire to fix them on ,bailing wire is a highly reusable tool and it's good material any way to have when on the back country.