Thread: scope for 7mm

Default scope for 7mm

Hi guy just recently picked up a 7mm rem mag. Next task is scope and rings. Was thinking of either a 3-9x40 or a 3.5-10x50. What do you recommend for quality glass and a good power for 7mm. Was looking to spend around 500.

Thanks

Smile

Personally I'd put a 6X42 Leupold on it with the best rings and bases I could find.

Which is precisely what sits up top on my 7STW.I've never had a second thought about this choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    Personally I'd put a 6X42 Leupold on it with the best rings and bases I could find.

Which is precisely what sits up top on my 7STW.I've never had a second thought about this choice.
    You can't go wrong with that! The fixed 6 gets it done.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    You can't go wrong with that! The fixed 6 gets it done.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Well First go with what you can afford, but at the very least I would buy a Leopold VXII or VXIII in 3x9x40. You will find that the 3.5x10 x 50 is a good scope depending on the make but the 50 is going to be much bigger and sort of a waste for a hunting rifle. There are a lot of opinions out there between fixed and vari power but always comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with. I would stay will no less than a Leopold as that is my favorite and has always been.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

The 3-9x will work very well at the distances most of us shoot at. Mostly, 90% of the time, I would carry it set at 3x. The 3.5-10 with a 50mm objective lens is a nice scope, and will give you a little ore brightness at dawn and dusk when the light is poor. It will also probably require high rings, which may not be optimal for a good cheek weld on the stock. But, still a good choice in both scopes. When you get tired of the rifle, if that happens, you can keep the glass, and mount it on the next one.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I have a Tikka T3 in 7mm that I put a 4.5x14x40 VX3 long range on it. I lve the scope way more then I like the gun. The 30mm tube is amazing. It draws so much light. I'm looking to upgrade my rifle this year but that scope will go on it. Good luck you have a lot of options to choose from

Lots of good info. I would much rather spend some cash and get good glass that will last for a long time and can go on to my next rifle. Will the fixed power scopes give you a good picture for a 300+ yard shot?

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    Lots of good info. I would much rather spend some cash and get good glass that will last for a long time and can go on to my next rifle. Will the fixed power scopes give you a good picture for a 300+ yard shot?
    I've taken several critters at the 300 yard mark with fixed glass. A whitetail at 275 with the 2.5x, several caribou between 2-300 with 4x and one at 330 with a 6x. I've rang steel at 500+ with all of the above but I just won't shoot at critters much over 300 yards- regardless of scope.

A 6x will get you well beyond what most folks are capable of hitting in the field. Mike Price did a pretty good article on ammoland.com a week or two back.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    Hi guy just recently picked up a 7mm rem mag. Next task is scope and rings. Was thinking of either a 3-9x40 or a 3.5-10x50. What do you recommend for quality glass and a good power for 7mm. Was looking to spend around 500.

Thanks
    I'd pick a 40mm over a 50mm for a general purpose big game rifle every time. Tough to beat a 3-9x40 (3.5-10/2.5-10/etc.) for a general purpose hunting rig IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I own lots of VariX3s.They are great scopes too.But a fixed just has a lot less parts inside to go wrong.And even Leupolds CAN occasionally take a dump.Especially on fast kickers like the magnums.Recoil speed in a lighter hunting rig in the 7s or 30 mags puts incredible G force on a scope.And the rings and mounts.Torqx or no Torqx, I degrease and loc-tite in all my scopes on fast recoiling rifles.

I have a 4-12 Leupold and it is close to perfect for me. J.

Lots of variables here; pun intended... Not like you've mentioned the rifle you bought or its intended purpose. 7mm Rem Mag in a heavy barrel setup is likely a different application than a basic hunting bolt rifle or even a Browning BAR or BLR. Do you handload? Intend to shoot varmints or targets at longrange? Lots of variables. Is the rifle setup with a custom or aftermarket stock? Have you tuned the trigger?

Scope mount system as important as choice of scope. For toughness and lowcost, hard to beat Leupold Dual Dovetail or for about 3x the $$ their Quick Release QR sets. Tactical base is a great choice for longrange, especially with 10 to 20moa "gain". Let's you keep your reticle in center range of movement which allows full range of windage and more elevation adjustment.

Look at the scope movement specs. Some have about 40moa total movement range. This equals 20moa (theoretically) either side of your zero, but often your zero will be way above the reticle mid-point. Lots of good scopes out there. Reticle choices, even more important unless you're happy with a plain duplex. Varmint and tactical styles will have dots or hashmarks for fast holdover and they'll have turrets made to dial-in your changes in the field. Weight is a big issue for some.

Gonna shoot mainly heavy bullets in your 7mm and stay with factory loads for large Alaskan game like Moose & Caribou? Four or six power fixed is a good choice, or variables as mentioned. Gonna be shooting sheep and goats and hiking with the rifle, shooting something like 140gr or heavier Accubond at distance, then maybe you want a special Leupold lightweight 2-7x if the ounces count?

Might want to look at the Vortex line of scopes and Weaver for quality and value.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The 3-9x will work very well at the distances most of us shoot at. Mostly, 90% of the time, I would carry it set at 3x. The 3.5-10 with a 50mm objective lens is a nice scope, and will give you a little ore brightness at dawn and dusk when the light is poor. It will also probably require high rings, which may not be optimal for a good cheek weld on the stock. But, still a good choice in both scopes. When you get tired of the rifle, if that happens, you can keep the glass, and mount it on the next one.
    Not sure why everyone puts high rings for 50mm bells. I know guys with 56mm on mids. I personally have a 50mm on seekins low rings my barrel still clears by .250" and is a heavy barrel. not to mention the lower your scope hight over bore is the more usable travel you will have in your reticle, and the less canting the rifle effects shot placement. Perhapse scope companies are playing it safe when they recommend ring heights for people who have never built a rifle. I would highly suggest talking to scott at liberty optics if you are really wanting sound advice from a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by jake1983 View Post
    Not sure why everyone puts high rings for 50mm bells. I know guys with 56mm on mids. I personally have a 50mm on seekins low rings my barrel still clears by .250" and is a heavy barrel. not to mention the lower your scope hight over bore is the more usable travel you will have in your reticle, and the less canting the rifle effects shot placement. Perhapse scope companies are playing it safe when they recommend ring heights for people who have never built a rifle. I would highly suggest talking to scott at liberty optics if you are really wanting sound advice from a professional.
    Your low Seekins rings (.76 height) are as high as most manufacturers' high rings which is why you have so much clearance. Typical ring manufacturers (Leupold, Talley, Conetrol, Warne) will require medium to high rings for 50mm objectives, which is dependent on several variables. Mounting a scope does not require an expert (irrespective of the fact that gunbugs qualifies as an expert), though knowing what you're talking about never hurts..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.