Thread: Results from Kotz!!

Default Results from Kotz!!

Well guys we have many groups up in Kotz right now and the first group just returned 3 days ago from a very early hunt. I was a bit up tight about sending these guys out so early but that had a very narrow window to get a hunt in. The good news 3 hunters and 3 BOU! We are sitting at 100% right now and we are expecting some nice results in the next 2 weeks or so. Temps were way high and this group bugged out 3 days early rather than risk meat spoilage.

I will attach the pics as a teaser! What was very interesting was that this group were on a float hunt as are most of our guys. They told me that they past by a number of drop camps that were all skunked while they saw many groups coming down the river! Float Hunts are the ticket!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Drop Camps and Float Hunts
    Unit 23-Kotz
    Now booking 2014 hunts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just back from 5 days 10miles up the Kelly River from the Noatak, cold and windy nothing larger than a porcupine spotted. A few old moose and bear tracks and no caribou either. No recent sign that the moose were living or browsing in the area and week old or older bear droppings. Locals and biologists are wondering when the caribou will move south-hunters we talked to only saw a few through the 25th-extremely late.

Just got back. We were in the upper Noatak and took Bou. Got out yesterday. River froze Tuesday and snow started yesterday. About 35 folks aren't getting out for a couple days. Weather is bad. Just wish I was one if them. Just glad we were not on a float.

Bou still haven't started moving yet and are way up north.

Walt, left the gear on the pallet. It was perfect and nice not to have to screw with getting my gear up there and back. We had everything I would have brought.

Just wanted to add that we used Eric from Arctic Backcountry Flying and he and his wife Ann were awesome folks and Eric did a wonderful job of going the extra mile for his hunters when it was safe to do so.. I can't say enough about these two folks and if your planning a hunt out of Kotz make sure you talk to them first!

Walt, your gear was impeccable! We had everything we needed and maybe a little more.. I am Alaskan and have all the gear you provided but it was nice not having to deal with logistics of getting it up there and screwing around with shipping etc.. When we got to the hanger everything was on a pallet with our name on it.. perfect!

All around, it was a great hunt! My 72 year old father had this hunt on his bucket list and he filled his Bou tag. I couldn't hunt because I drew a Tier I in Unit 13 so I was looking for bear. I told dad if he wanted to come up let me know before I drew the Tier I tag but he decided a March he wanted to come up! So I was more of a pack mule. Regardless, being a pack mule for my father was better than any size bull I would have taken! I'll remember this hunt until I close my eyes for the last time!

I have to say, it did ruin me on south central hunting.. Heading back next year for a Grizz and Moose then out for some Bou...

Just got back to Anchorage from Kotz today. Three of us were dropped off by Jared and Jessie with Golden Eagle Outfitters. The day we were dropped off we saw approximately 2,000 caribou. The next day we took five nice bulls and one cow in 1.5 hours. By the third day all the meat and antlers were packed out to landing strip. Unfortunately, on the 20th it snowed over 6 inches snowing us in for six days. Jared, Jessie, and Eric checked on us when weather permitted and got out safe and sound one day before schedule. Oh, ended up getting one more bou the day before we got out next to the tents (Cabelas Alaska Guide six man.....best tent ever!) Meat in the freezer and a nice cow just for my wife! Awesome hunt, awesome experience.......the snow could have stayed away for another week! Latest caribou migration on record. Golden Eagle Outfitters and Arctic Backcountry Adventures did a fine job. W

I second the thumbs up to Jared and Jesse. They did a great job. We called Jared for an early pickup when the river started icing up and he was able to get us out the next day. Glad I did. Sounds like we missed the snow by one day. Awesome hunt. Saw thousands of caribou.

Thanks loads! I had a few groups who had to deal with the freezing river situation and were on float hunts. **** funny year! Water levels were high which allowed our groups to float rivers that normally too low. Good results and happy hunters. Our moose guys did very well!

Send me some pics for the web site please!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    Unit 23-Kotz
    Booking 2014 hunts NOW!
    907-259-4290

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    Just got back. We were in the upper Noatak and took Bou. Got out yesterday. River froze Tuesday and snow started yesterday. About 35 folks aren't getting out for a couple days. Weather is bad. Just wish I was one if them. Just glad we were not on a float.

Bou still haven't started moving yet and are way up north.

Walt, left the gear on the pallet. It was perfect and nice not to have to screw with getting my gear up there and back. We had everything I would have brought.