Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gun to buy??

Default Which gun to buy??

I have narrowed my gun research down to 2 guns. They are a Winchester model 70 SS shadow or a Browning X-Bolt stalker. Both guns are stainless with sythetic stocks. I know the main diffrences in the 2, winchester is crf, 3 position safety and metal floor plate. The browning is push feed, plastic mag, and button actuated bolt while the gun is on safe. I was wanting to hear from some people that have operated both guns. I have held them both and like the feel of them both. The winchester has a smoother action then the browning but I have been told that the browning is very accurate right out of the box. Thank for any help.

Get the model 70 its the rifleman's rifle...

I'd buy a Model 70, but can't see me owning a X-Bolt if they were giving them away.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Grab the70, it won't matter because in a few years you will have several more of different brands anyway! Its a wonderful addiction to have! I must say I bought a X Bolt in 308 last year and it is VERY accurate. If I could have just 1 rifle it would be a 70 no question...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey,

How do you like the X-Bolt overall? Do you own a model 70?If so how do they compare? Thanks

I've handled the new Winchester, I like it quite a bit. I haven't seen the X-Bolt in person.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Get the model 70 its the rifleman's rifle...
    Not anymore it's not.

Go out and buy yourself a true rifleman's rifle; go buy a pre-64 Winchester Model 70. No comparison. A true Winchester. Not a Browning in Winchester clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    can't see me owning a X-Bolt if they were giving them away.......
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What he said!!

Rep points sent!

LMAO.

=)

I’ll take a new 70 every time over X-bolt. They aren’t the pre64s but in some ways that’s a good thing, very good rifles.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by rickytz7111 View Post
    Smokey,

How do you like the X-Bolt overall? Do you own a model 70?If so how do they compare? Thanks
    I think there are a lot of good guns on the market and depending on how one uses a gun, and can maintain it, some brands may offer advantages over others. The Mod 70 has a long history of reliability and ease to maintain. Accuracy - well, they are very dependable and if the shooter takes time to find the loads that perform best in their particular gun it will do all you can ask of it. I have had 3 and all were great shooters. I still have one that's my favorite a 300WM in Super Grade that has taken a lot of game... I have a Browning A Bolt SS w/boss that has never let me down and it, and my new X Bolt, are both VERY accurate. I really like the feel of the new stock on the X Bolt - it fits me perfect, handles nice and I cannot find fault with it. I read of Alaska hunters spending time in the field and having to deal with a lot of sand and rain and the mod 70 has a leg up on the Browning for cleaning if those are the conditions you plan to hunt under I feel. If I was coming to Alaska to hunt I would be grabbing my model 70, however if I only had a X Bolt I would not hesitate to take it. The composition of the stock on the Browning X bolt is great to grip and seems like it would be very dependable even if wet. I have not held the new stock on the new 70's Shadow line so can't say if it is comparable. I have some rifles with composite stocks that are too firm and slick feeling - not what I am comfortable with for sure... If the Shadow has the same stock as the X Bolt I would like that A LOT!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Not anymore it's not.

Go out and buy yourself a true rifleman's rifle; go buy a pre-64 Winchester Model 70. No comparison. A true Winchester. Not a Browning in Winchester clothing.
    All I hear is blah blah... One day I might let your greasy sweaty hands touch my LH handed model 70 google it most consider those one the best model 70 ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    All I hear is blah blah... One day I might let your greasy sweaty hands touch my LH handed model 70 google it most consider those one the best model 70 ever made.
    All I hear is blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Not anymore it's not.

Sure ain't about to swap my pre war M 70's for a gun kicked off a assembly line.

Have you handled both guns?

How the thing fits you will contribute more to your happiness than almost any geegaw design feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Sure ain't about to swap my pre war M 70's for a gun kicked off a assembly line.
    Nope, I wouldn’t ether but also wouldn’t take the great old rifles out hunting and beat on them like I would a replaceable assembly line rifle though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have several 'older' Model 70's ( as least 10 years old to 40 years old) and like them all. We have Rem and Savage also but I like that feel/function of the Winchesters. I have 2 Classis model 70, 1-243 & 1-30-06 that shoot very well.
    For me, if you can find and older MD 70 then get it. I have not looked at the 'newer' production ones so can not comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Nope, I wouldn’t ether but also wouldn’t take the great old rifles out hunting and beat on them like I would a replaceable assembly line rifle though.
    I do. They've served my family well and continue to do so. Admittedly, I'm incredibly paranoid about damaging them or letting the rust. I carry those barrricade wipes and keep the metal treated for rust/moisture. I'm super careful with them. Still, I managed to chip the stock on one of them this year. Yes the guns are collectibles and yes they have "some" financial value, but I'm not carrying the last mint condition 1873 out there. ANy of my guns can be replaced for around $1,000. Their family value is far more than their collector value.

Well I decided to buy the model 70. I bought the extreme weather and it shot sub MOA at 100 yards right out of the box. I was very happy with the accuracy of this gun. I was a little worried that it wouldn't shoot as good as the x bolt. After handling both guns and opening and closing the bolts on both of them at least what felt like a million times I couldn't beat the feel of the model 70. I'm glad that I bought one!

Congrats on the new firearm ricky - now, there is no excuse to not post a good hunting story with pics in the near future!!!

I'm a little late to the post but...why not buy both? You can never have too many guns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast