Thread: Harvest tag / Permit question

Default Harvest tag / Permit question

I've scoured the hunting regs and this forum and don't normally like to ask, but since I've exhausted all means I'll ask you great experts here.

I'm headed up for a moose permit tomorrow (antlerless), but in the area I'll be is also a harvest area for bull moose and bull caribou.

I have a caribou permit as well in another area.

Does having a permit preclude me from hunting on a harvest? I am not trying to fill both - just one or the other to up my chances of putting meat in the freezer. If I'm lucky to get a caribou in the area I'll be I do not plan on hunting the permit (don't think I can anyway) - if this happens, can I turn the tag in or transfer it to someone else so that another person may be allowed to hunt it?

Thanks in advance.

What are your permit numbers. Some permits have stipulations, some do not. If you have an antlerless permit in the FMA in unit 20B, you are not allowed to hunt bulls for example. Most permits do not restrict you from other hunts for the same species though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    What are your permit numbers. Some permits have stipulations, some do not. If you have an antlerless permit in the FMA in unit 20B, you are not allowed to hunt bulls for example. Most permits do not restrict you from other hunts for the same species though.
    Thanks Jerod. I am, indeed, headed into 20B (DM747). My caribou is DC480.

But, I believe where I will be is outside the FMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvesbane View Post
    Thanks Jerod. I am, indeed, headed into 20B (DM747). My caribou is DC480.

But, I believe where I will be is outside the FMA.

Is it the archery only tag for inside the FMA? If so, you cannot have an HT for moose. Your permit paper it was attached will have any stipulations on it, won't be in the regs I think. As far as the caribou, should be legal, can't transfer though, but it says on the 480, if you take a caribou anywhere else, the permit is void. Sounds like it won't open back up in Oct anyways, so send it in and get the caribou HT for where you will be. There are no caribou in FMA.

The FMA antlerless tag is for reducing moose populations. Years ago the changed the rules to where if you draw that tag, you have take a cow pretty much, bulls won't be anlterless obviously when the FMA bow hunt is open. So again, read your permit paper it was attached to. They have have done the same for the rifle hunts too.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Is it the archery only tag for inside the FMA? If so, you cannot have an HT for moose. Your permit paper it was attached will have any stipulations on it, won't be in the regs I think. As far as the caribou, should be legal, can't transfer though, but it says on the 480, if you take a caribou anywhere else, the permit is void. Sounds like it won't open back up in Oct anyways, so send it in and get the caribou HT for where you will be. There are no caribou in FMA. The FMA antlerless tag is for reducing moose populations. Years ago the changed the rules to where if you draw that tag, you have take a cow pretty much, bulls won't be anlterless obviously when the FMA bow hunt is open. So again, read your permit paper it was attached to. They have have done the same for the rifle hunts too.
    It's rifle...outside the FMA. I'll be up probably around Murphy Dome Road.