Thread: bait burns

Default bait burns

all right guys just wondering how many of you do honey or jello etc burns at you bait while hunting it. I have done it a few times and the only time I really saw the effects was when a huge sow brown and cubs came running in a 100 miles an hr directly from the smoke trail. Other than that havent ever had a bear come into the burn immediately. I usually do it for the 1st 15 minuites or so on the ground below my standto smell the place up real good and then climb up and get set. but am wondering if the unavoidable noises i make getting the burner started etc is a waste of time. What I usually use is a little back pack burner and a pot with honey marshmallows and jello really smells the place up but im wondering if its more trouble than its worth. Most bears that have come in on me were nites I didnt do a burn or a few hrs after I shut it off. Im always too afraid to climb up in my stand while im doing a burn for the fear of starting a fire or a bear coming in and nocking it over. Just curious how many of you do it and how some of you do it.

cherry or strawberry jello is the way to go.. Cheap and puts a good odor out
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I do a bacon and a honey burn almost every time I visit the stand.Over the years the bears usually come in about 45 min after the burn is complete.Good luck!

Apple Juice and Marshmellows does the trick for me. Usually, get situated in the stand and start the burn next to me. Needless to say I build a stand with a little room for this. I try to pack in some extra water or a mini fire extinguisher just in case though. About 45 minutes and they usually start coming in.

Maybe us a small can of sterno and let it burn out. Just a suggestion. J.