Thread: propane leak detector

Default propane leak detector

Just curious if anyone knows of a place in Anchorage you can rent/borrow an LP leak detector? I smell propane in my hard sided pop-up trailer, but the built in LP alarm doesn't go off. I see you can buy a hand held detector on amazon for $150 or so, but would prefer to find one cheaper than that. Thanks!

to clarify, i am hoping to find a hand held detector for trouble shooting the cause/location of the leak. (not to install a new alarm in the camper).

Use liquid soap and water to find your leak that what the professional use.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Use liquid soap and water to find your leak.
    +1

Spoken like the real MacGyver I might add..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Use liquid soap and water to find your leak that what the professional use.
    ok....thanks for the tip. So you just spray every connection in the system until you find one that bubbles?

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    +1

Spoken like the real MacGyver I might add..
    You expected something less of me. LOL

Check the pressure regulator, if it has a cover take that off and spray soapy water on it and the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by OHAK View Post
    ok....thanks for the tip. So you just spray every connection in the system until you find one that bubbles?
    Yes. A drop of dish washing liquid in a cup or two of water in a standard spray bottle. Start at the LP tank (turn the valve on) and just spray the soapy water on every joint or moving part (including the tank valve stem and any other inline valves). Hit the outside of the regulator and then every joint or connection on the line all the way to the appliance(s). The leak will create an instant flurry of soap bubbles.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yes. A drop of dish washing liquid in a cup or two of water in a standard spray bottle. Start at the LP tank (turn the valve on) and just spray the soapy water on every joint or moving part (including the tank valve stem and any other inline valves). Hit the outside of the regulator and then every joint or connection on the line all the way to the appliance(s). The leak will create an instant flurry of soap bubbles.
    thanks for the description!

Are you smelling this inside the camper or outside? Don't forget to check pilot lights and lines as well as fittings and valves.

I had the same problem last summer.

My leak was in the regulator. There is a large vent hole that I could not use soap on. I bought a $65-75 Chinese detector did the job.

Don