Thread: artichokes

Default artichokes

The past couple of years I've grown Imperial Star artichokes, some from seed, some from roots overwintered in pots under the house. This year, I seeded the Imperial Stars, plus some Green Globe artichokes. The Imperial Stars which were overwintered for their second year fared poorly; fewer leaves, a much smaller plant, and a few small chokes. The Imperial Stars which I seeded this season did fine, but the stars of the garden were the Green Globes which I started from seed this year. Big plants, big artichokes, nice smaller side chokes, too. I'll try overwintering a few of the Green Globes, but won't bother with Imperial Star again.

Good on you. I tried artichokes last year, but they got spider mites and went out of the greenhouse. They survived until fall and in the garage they went. They started growing like crazy in the middle of winter, but all white foliage. By spring they were dead.

Didn't try them this year, but now, I am going to try again next year.

Thanks for posting. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

One of my gardening books says that to overwinter artichokes in cold climates, you should cut the plant, leaving about 5 inches of the stem. Then remove all the dirt from the roots, put them in a mesh bag, and put them under the house. I haven't done that before, just cut them to 5 inches and potted them in soil. I also had lots of white foliage, some of which survived and turned green in the spring. But I think that also weakened the plants, so this winter I'll try the book method and remove the soil. I'll also start some from seed next spring, just in case. Oh, and you don't need to plant them in a greenhouse--they like cool climates.