Thread: New to black bear hunting.

Default New to black bear hunting.

Hello,

I just got stationed here in Alaska at FT. Richardson. My name is David and I have been doing tons of research on the bear hunting here and so far the area that I have narrowed down are GMU 7 and GMU 14C. I am looking for someone to go out with and help out with whatever is needed. The regulations are something I have never seen before as where I come from there are not a bnch ofdifferent units. I will be hunting mainly by walking in and have read a bunch on the seward HWY area.

Any info would be great.

Looking for info on:

Seward HWY

Crescent Creek Trail

HOPE

Indian

Coopers Landing

Areas around the Eagle river nature center....can't seem to find out if yu can black bear hunt that general area.

Thanks in advance,

David

Quote Originally Posted by David0007 View Post
    Areas around the Eagle river nature center....can't seem to find out if yu can black bear hunt that general area.

Thanks in advance,

David
    You can hunt that area (upstream of Icicle Creek), but you must get the registration permit and you must have taken a basic hunter education course. Look at the following link for details:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=13527

Make sure you get the non-resident tags. Looks like you have a good list of places. Pick one and walk around. It might sound simple, but the bears are where you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    Make sure you get the non-resident tags. Looks like you have a good list of places. Pick one and walk around. It might sound simple, but the bears are where you find them.
    I have basic hunter ED I am military and have all my tags and license...I have Harvest Tickets. I guess the info I am looking for are walk in accessible areas.

Thinks

Right on man. My bad, I forgot about the freebies for you guys. Thanks for your service.

Head north to Petersville. Take the road back towards the big mine, once you start passing the waterfalls start glassing. You should be able to see a bunch of bears eating berries.

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Head north to Petersville. Take the road back towards the big mine, once you start passing the waterfalls start glassing. You should be able to see a bunch of bears eating berries.

sent from my igloo
    Good advice except there are about 40,000 people back there. I just made an attempt at this last week. I spotted a nice boar blackie up really high. Started a stalk, got to the first clearing and noticed the bear spooked. Seemed odd to me since I was well over 1,000 yards out. Took another glass of the hill and noticed 4 other people heading across the base of the hill that spooked him.

Theres got to be a better way to hunt around here. Its not safe going out in the field with hundreds of other people out there toting guns.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

David

hit me up on a pm if you have any questions on the eagle river area. Know this area very well. Good place to hike in and hunt for blacks.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    David

hit me up on a pm if you have any questions on the eagle river area. Know this area very well. Good place to hike in and hunt for blacks.
    I tried to pm you duck hunter and for some reason the system is not allowing it...my email is addogrigger@gmail.com