Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal No Legal?

Question Legal No Legal?

Sheep Mike & Eric hunt 010.jpgShot this Ram in the DCUA.

hard to tell with just one angle, but I'll be the first to jump in. Not quite full curl on the far side. Not broomed on both sides. But I'd say he's 8 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    hard to tell with just one angle, but I'll be the first to jump in. Not quite full curl on the far side. Not broomed on both sides. But I'd say he's 8 years old.
    Based on what a bio described to me as broomed, I'd say he's broomed on his left and probably his right. Need a view of the other side though to be sure.

Seeing how he is in your garage and your on a public forum showing us photos.. I hope he's legal Nice job either way
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Funky ram! Can we get more pics? I would say he's not broomed. His tip is worn a little but I wouldn't consider it broomed. Looks like the right side is considerably longer though? Based on that side I'd say he is younger than 8.

8 years old, full curl on right side, left side idk if i consider that broomed but its so much shorter

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yea...he doesn't look broomed to me at all. It looks like the right is full curl though. It appears quite hard to count definite rings without seeing the backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    Yea...he doesn't look broomed to me at all. It looks like the right is full curl though. It appears quite hard to count definite rings without seeing the backs.
    agree on all 3 points

I would not call that a broomed ram, and while he might be 8, I certainly wouldn't shoot him based on those rings. I'd like to see the far side more clearly. If all I saw was the angle presented, I wouldn't shoot. I'm not saying he's not legal - just that I wouldn't take the shot given the information presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Seeing how he is in your garage and your on a public forum showing us photos.. I hope he's legal Nice job either way
    Thats the first thing I thought of as well. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If all I saw was the angle presented, I wouldn't shoot. I'm not saying he's not legal - just that I wouldn't take the shot given the information presented.
    Ditto. I wouldn't call that broomed, and I wouldn't shoot based on the view presented. I would guess he's at least 9 years old tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The off side tip looks well past fullcurl. Looks to have about ten inches of horn broke off.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

This ram would scare me !!!!..................not legal from what I see, looks like he's got some false annuli, unless he showed the other side and I can verify, his tips might/might not make the base.

No thanks....I'll look for another ram

However, obviously he was made legal because someone got him home in their garage.
    Last edited by kahahawai; 09-16-2013 at 00:07. Reason: wrong info.

Looking at the 1x6 its sitting on I figure the short side to be about 37".
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sheep Mike & Eric hunt 011.jpgSecond trip to Delta and the third trip up the Mountain, I was all out of picky. Here is the side I based my shot on.

Man, what an interesting ram! That side (it goes without saying) is totally different. I'd be interested to hear a sheep bio suggest a reason for the disparity between the sides.

Well that answers that.....that Ram had one bad side for sure.

The cause of this (possibly) is he had some sort of horn damage while younger and it took time for left horn to heal up and had a delay in growth. I have a ram I shot in the brooks that is broomed hard or considered broken on his right side and you could see where the horn started growing back protruding thru the broke off area, the bio in Fairbanks was intrigued with this, and took some pics.

The DCUA puts out some interesting rams every year, congrats on a fine ram!

Wow, what a difference! Both in length, mass and annuli. I would consider that side broomed and 9 years old. What did F&G say?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Wow, what a difference! Both in length, mass and annuli. I would consider that side broomed and 9 years old. What did F&G say?
    I second that on all counts.
    Very interesting ram for sure. It looks like his horns grew equally through year 5 (1st separate ring above the bases in picture 1 and around 11:00 in picture 2). After that... ??? Weird how the horn grew down so far around the eye socket on the left side. Maybe he took a bad fall?

Anyway, very cool ram and congrats!!

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast