Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: four wheelers existing with trucks on the trail.

Default four wheelers existing with trucks on the trail.

I had an instance just the other day that was not a big deal just a plain out loss of thought on the four wheelers part. I do apologize if you read this site that I gave you an accidental love tap. I drove my 79 gmc that's pretty much a tractor about 3/4 the way up the mountain to a nice glassing point and were it died due to a bad control module in the distributor. it is a narrow trail with many steep rocky and muddy hills. I ended up encountering a four wheeler when I was almost to the top of one of the steepest hills and the guy barely attempted to get off the side of the trail and was still in my path and waved me by so I did so. I had to drive way off the side too avoid slideing into him yet keep out of the trees. needless to say he almost went ass over tea kettle when my rear slid into his wheeler. there was no way I could back down and the guy refused to go around me while I waited. has many people come across this issue, I think we should all work together yet learn the issues from bolth sides and how to deal with them. I refuse to quit using my truck as a meat wagon but I realy dislike people on fourwheelers thinking they have the only rite as words were exchanged with another guy that had no idea this is realy an old road and I can take my truck because im not afraid of hurting it. what is every ones thoughts on the issue against me or for me id like to know. and if there is any nice hunting grounds for a big truck in the valley it would be cool to hear of a few so I can avoid smashing a 40mph 500 lb bug. I almost got hit twice head on doing barely 1 mph by wheelers hauling ass around corners to find them selves no were to go other then the bushes. I only want to coexist.

It's a tough one for sure. I support off road vehicle use of all kinds but struggle with the massive rigs when they are used in areas that have soft ground. A number of trails that I have used for over 20 years are now super rutted out due to people driving near monster trucks down the trails after heavy rains or first thing after the snow melts. The ATV crowd put in geo-mats in one are and built bridges over a creek. Between that and fish and game eliminating some beavers I finally saw kings spawning in the creek again. A year later a couple guys went in with big trucks and trenched the creek out so badly that the bank caved in and diverted the creek blocking the fish. They then completely destroyed the geo-mat trail and churned the muskeg into a bottomless bog. Now of course the wheelers have taken to the woods to skirt the holes and inns couple years the trails in the woods will grow wider and someone will come in with a beast of a truck and tear that one up too.

I'm not saying that you are doing that but for the ATV crowd they may just be tired of dealing with trenched out trails made by 7,000 lb trucks and see you as just another one of "them".

Between big trucks out mud bogging and the ATV hunters that feel they need to track up every possible area that they can get their machines to instead of actually getting off them and hunting. There are a couple areas we hunted for many years that are so tracked up now that you can't walk 200 yards in any direction without coming out on another "trail".

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It's a tough one for sure. I support off road vehicle use of all kinds but struggle with the massive rigs when they are used in areas that have soft ground. A number of trails that I have used for over 20 years are now super rutted out due to people driving near monster trucks down the trails after heavy rains or first thing after the snow melts. The ATV crowd put in geo-mats in one are and built bridges over a creek. Between that and fish and game eliminating some beavers I finally saw kings spawning in the creek again. A year later a couple guys went in with big trucks and trenched the creek out so badly that the bank caved in and diverted the creek blocking the fish. They then completely destroyed the geo-mat trail and churned the muskeg into a bottomless bog. Now of course the wheelers have taken to the woods to skirt the holes and inns couple years the trails in the woods will grow wider and someone will come in with a beast of a truck and tear that one up too.

I'm not saying that you are doing that but for the ATV crowd they may just be tired of dealing with trenched out trails made by 7,000 lb trucks and see you as just another one of "them".

Between big trucks out mud bogging and the ATV hunters that feel they need to track up every possible area that they can get their machines to instead of actually getting off them and hunting. There are a couple areas we hunted for many years that are so tracked up now that you can't walk 200 yards in any direction without coming out on another "trail".
    The trail to my cabin has been destroyed by ATVs not the monster trucks. I think the over aggressive tires like the mudlites and vampires have caused more damage than any other source. Sure they can get you anywhere but look behind you and check out what they did to get you there.

I don't have a monster truck or mudlites but there are places that 15 years ago you could drive a regular half ton with all weather tires down and now my wheeler with stock tires need a winch and 4 wheel drive to get to. The trail is getting wider every year in the woods's and I figure in another 5 years I will be able to take a canoe down most of the trail. Maybe its the trucks where you are I know its the 4 wheelers where I am.

Before there is a pi**n match over "who caused the ruts", I'd like to address the OP's concern (btw, all of ya'll caused the ruts, not just one group or the other). The general rule of motor vehicles regardless of wheather they are on land, water, or in the air is that the more manuverable vehicle will yield to the less manuverable. The big trucks are without question the less manuverable vehicle and the ATV should generally yield to them.

I also noticed some poor ATV driving etiquette during my recent venture behind Eureka. It seems that some of the old practices are falling by the wayside. Simple stuff like driving on the right side of the trail and slowing down when approaching corners and cresting hills. When you come to the top of a hill, you should stop and look and then yield to anyone coming up the hill. Only start down a hill when it is clear all the way to the bottom (if you can see that far). If you meet on a hill due to blind spots that didn't allow you to verify the hill was clear, the guy going down should always yield to the guy going up by getting the 'eff out of the way.

Might as well make my ATV ruts comment while I'm here... When it starts snowing, park your dang ATV (or hang a blade on it and use it in your driveway). Nothing worse for snowmachiners than having to deal with ATV snow ruts in the trails!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I've been looking for an ATV safety course here in Alaska to incorporate into my outdoor ed program and have yet to find one here in AK. With so many people especially kids riding, it surprises me that there is nothing.

We observed this weekend on how not to get through a mudhole... So we are sitting in the 6x assessing the trail when an older fella decided show us how its done... He went from 10 mph to 40 mph he hit that hole almost went over the handle bars once he realized this he let off the gas then he started giving it gas slinging mud everwhere wheeler slowly sinking... We drove off creeping slowly over tundra last we saw they were winching out the wheeler.

Anytime I encounter another vehicle coming in the opposite direction I always pull over and let th pass unless they do so first. These old roads/trails have been here for decades and are for everyone's enjoyment. Life's too short to argue about such silly stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Anytime I encounter another vehicle coming in the opposite direction I always pull over and let th pass unless they do so first. These old roads/trails have been here for decades and are for everyone's enjoyment. Life's too short to argue about such silly stuff.
    I think there really is a problem with some trails being trashed.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I think there really is a problem with some trails being trashed.
    You know, I agree 100% with you but that was not the subject of this thread and I didn't want to grt it sidetracked. Someone blamed it on the aggressive atv tires but to be honest, if people were using stock tires the damage would be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post

Hat's off to you!!! Well said!!

Personally, I appreciate seeing the big rigs out there. They're the one's (along with the miners) that put the trails in. Move over and make room for them...

I think it's f'ing sad that the feds have tried to restrict trails to vehicles under 1,000 lbs...

I drive both trucks and wheelers and have had no issues by either user group when in the field. On the forums there is a lot of back and forth between everyone that uses different forms of transportation. Like some of you have said we are all hunters or outdoorsmen or women and need to learn to coexist instead of fighting each other. Show some respect to each other and use some common sense.

I think the guys in the Razr type vehicles crashing the mud holes at 60 MPH, and spinning tires everywhere else are really tearing up the trails. Earlier this year I was riding up the back side of Monument (the steep part), when two guys on Razrs passed me, they stabbed the throttle and threw rocks all over me, totally uncalled for and dangerous.
    I also believe in coexisting, but if people dont respect the land, and use common sense, we are all going to lose out.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

LuJon, Could you message me, it is regarding some DI stuff, your inbox is full.

Thanks

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Personally, I appreciate seeing the big rigs out there. They're the one's (along with the miners) that put the trails in. Move over and make room for them...

I think it's f'ing sad that the feds have tried to restrict trails to vehicles under 1,000 lbs...

And I think it's f'ing sad that trails are torn up by people who think it;s there God giving right to teat them up!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Might as well make my ATV ruts comment while I'm here... When it starts snowing, park your dang ATV (or hang a blade on it and use it in your driveway). Nothing worse for snowmachiners than having to deal with ATV snow ruts in the trails!
    What he said! It puts a guy in a bad mood when you have to haul supplies thru six sets of tracks in 6 inches of snow that some townies put there cuz they are having fun with there side by sides. I mean they could all go in a row and not tear the whole trail up for everyone else but NOOOOOO, IT IS THEIR RIGHT TO DO WHAT EVER THEY WANT! I have many fantasies about exacting revenge on these idiots but wont go into detail here! Like I have said before, I aint anti atv, just cant stand the idiots that drive em!

I have some recent heartache with people in vehicles and hunting as of late. For one, too many people f'ing road hunting with loud trucks and 4 wheelers. I even lost a moose to guys in a truck who were able to drive to a moose I saw first because I decided to back track to 4 wheel path to sneak up on him opposed to shooting from near the road which I was a bit nervous about. They drove up, got out and shot the bull before me. It takes away from the whole "slow down and know what your shooting" thing and I'm stick kicking my own ass over not shooting sooner. Since when was hunting a rushed thing geez? Granted I don't blame the guys who took the moose as they didn't know I was there and took the opportunity to bag a nice one. So there is that and the guys who love to go back and forth on paths every 20-30 minutes hoping to run into a moose. Thanks for scaring it away buddy /sigh.

Point being, vehicles should be used to get people to their destination with gear to stake out a spot and haul meat back. They shouldn't be used for locating your game. So depending on what your using your truck for it may or may not really have a place where your at. I do feel that trucks cause more long term damage to tundra as I witnessed this weekend. But agree that if your getting somewhere that's clearly a road not a 4 wheeler path then the 4 wheeler (regardless) should be giving you the right away as its virtual no trouble for them to scoot off the road. I feel that a lot of 4 wheelers these days don't care and are jackasses and a good number of them this weekend alone had me ready to punch them in the face had they given me flack.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    What he said! It puts a guy in a bad mood when you have to haul supplies thru six sets of tracks in 6 inches of snow that some townies put there cuz they are having fun with there side by sides. I mean they could all go in a row and not tear the whole trail up for everyone else but NOOOOOO, IT IS THEIR RIGHT TO DO WHAT EVER THEY WANT! I have many fantasies about exacting revenge on these idiots but wont go into detail here! Like I have said before, I aint anti atv, just cant stand the idiots that drive em!
    The same goes for the snowmachiners. They don't own the trails like they think when they get a couple of inches of snow on them. Not trying to pick a fight just saying. I own both atv and snowmachine but feel its the people that just have not respect for anything that's causing the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    The same goes for the snowmachiners. They don't own the trails like they think when they get a couple of inches of snow on them. Not trying to pick a fight just saying. I own both atv and snowmachine but feel its the people that just have not respect for anything that's causing the issues.

Yup your right!

the big trucks are just too much for these trails, they tear them up,... jeeps are even pushing it. the marshy terrain here in alaska just doesent allow it. we better stick to atvs fellas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast