Thread: Any magazine or similar articles out there comparing semi-auto hunting rifles?

Default Any magazine or similar articles out there comparing semi-auto hunting rifles?

I'm curious about these semi-automatic rifles for predator & deer rifles. And also wonder how well reliable they would be in Alaska hunting conditions. Has anyone seen an article comparing the higher quality rifles such as the
    Browing Bar
    Merkel SR 1
    HK SLB2000
    HK 770
    Benelli R1
    Sauer 303

Seems like most folks like all these rifles, accuracy can be very good to below average, & getting parts or having a gunsmith to work on them maybe difficult, save the BAR. Thoughts? Opinions? Do you own any of the above & can report on their field use? Field maintenance?

Not "hard"" to work on, they are tight tolerances and BARs seems like no two are the same. Parts can be difficult because there's not many used guns that have been parted-out out there. Most parts can be had from the factory rep or importer but they are time consuming and certain parts are controlled and have to go back to the factory. Like any two piece stock design, it's hit r miss for accuracy, I have never had satisfactory accuracy with the Ruger autos but I'm sure 100 people will reply what a tack driver they have.

You forgot such other high-quality rifles as the Colt AR-15 and variants. The FN-FAL, FN-49, M1 Garand, M1A and Hakim.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman - I think you are totally correct in your statement and given what I "know" of Benellis and BAR's I'd bet there are a lot of AR platform "hunting" chamberings that will outshoot those mentioned quite impressively - If I had to go with a semi-auto for any reason it would be a "no brainer" for me - We gave one of the surgical techs an R-1 for a year end bonus last year and he has had HE11 getting it to shoot inside 3" at 100

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Enough with all the research.

I think I'd go with a Remington.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've hunted off and on with an old old friend who shoots one of "them" in '06, it's a rattle trap and sorta heavy but he always hits what he shoots at and it has never jammed or misfired that I know of and I'm talkin' hunts back to '71 - ( that's a roundabout way of saying I agree with Smitty "IF" I were inclined to shoot a semi-auto that is)

I've messed with them off and on and several friends still hunt with them.

Browning BAR is OK....weighs a lot, decent accuracy.

Benelli R1 seems well made but the lackluster accuracy is the norm it seems.

Remington 308 I had was decent but the trigger was lousy...it eventually turned jam-a-matic and I gave it to an apprentice I had. Seemed made for the "occasional" deer hunter who was more accustomed to an 1100 shotgun. For a serious rifleman it left much to be desired on several levels.

Not many Merkels and HK hunting rifles make it over here and the lone Sauer I had was a bolt gun.

My limited experience with the semi-auto rifles has made me a "dyed in the wool" bolt gun fan...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You forgot such other high-quality rifles as the Colt AR-15 and variants. The FN-FAL, FN-49, M1 Garand, M1A and Hakim.
    My predator gun IS an AR custom build, I wouldn't trade it for any of the guns listed. It has performed flawlessly to -10, even with a polymer lower. It is heavy, although it could be lighter without the bipod, bull barrel and a different hand guard. I like the idea of a quick follow up or the opportunity to take more than one animal on a stand. I carry it with a 10 round mag, so far I haven't shot more than three times, but I've yet to call in a double. It has a collapsible stock which is great to adjust to my thickness of clothing and a 16" barrel that is handy in the brush. I have shot a .4" group @ 100 with my handloads and about 1.2" with factory PMC FMJs so it seems reasonably accurate.

I'm not sure I would choose a semi-auto for a deer gun personally, I'm curious why you would choose one for a deer gun? The only semi-auto I've spent much time around was a BAR that was very temperamental.

Right now my supervisor is in lust with the BAR in .243. He is balking at the price. I told him to cry once, smile the rest of the time.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Enough with all the research.

I think I'd go with a Remington.

Smitty of the North
    My 242 Rem never misses a beat and is super accurate. I think it got a bad rep with those who think it's a M-14 and what to blast off 500 rds a day full auto.

I have a Remington 742 in 30-06 that does very well. I have been a bolt gun or single shot fan for several years but would be happy hunting with the auto as well. Only took it hunting one time and killed a 8 point buck with it that day. It shoots about 1 inch groups at 100 yds. with factory Federal ammo that I bought a few boxes of before things got out of hand. It has never jammed or failed to shoot as long as I have owned it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have a Remington 742 in 30-06 that does very well. I have been a bolt gun or single shot fan for several years but would be happy hunting with the auto as well. Only took it hunting one time and killed a 8 point buck with it that day. It shoots about 1 inch groups at 100 yds. with factory Federal ammo that I bought a few boxes of before things got out of hand. It has never jammed or failed to shoot as long as I have owned it.
    A 742 in 30-06 that doesn't jam, and with a Receiver Sight and 22" barrel, would about the ultimate for bear protection.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Since Rem. has been brought into the discussion..................I bought a Rem 7400, in 30-06, last spring for my 13 yr old daughter to use for her Delta Bison tag. I DO NOT LIKE THE GUN!!
    I have tried 2 different scopes and 4 different types of ammo and 4 different bullet weights. I cannot get the gun to group better than about 3 in. at 50 yds. It is not going to work for the Bison tag. I would love to get rid of the gun!
    I went with a semi auto as a way to lessen the recoil/kick. The stock, length of pull, fits her also. Thinking of borrowing a 7400 from a coworker who says his shoots well.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!