Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the anchorage are willing to take a newb out?

Default Anyone in the anchorage are willing to take a newb out?

Hi everyone. I'm new to hunting small game here in AK. I've been out a few times and I can't seem to find a single grouse or ptarmigan to shoot at. Starting to get a little disappointed so trying to see if there is any kind souls out there that's willing to take a new guy out to shoot a few birds! Thanks a million!

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new to hunting small game here in AK. I've been out a few times and I can't seem to find a single grouse or ptarmigan to shoot at. Starting to get a little disappointed so trying to see if there is any kind souls out there that's willing to take a new guy out to shoot a few birds! Thanks a million!
    Check out some if the other threads, seems like a bad year for birds. I haven't killed one this year in about 4 trips, in places I have killed birds in the past.

Originally Posted by jpc8636

I started hunting grouse and ptarmigan last year for the first time. I didn't have a dog and I'd only seen a few spruce grouse and didn't know there were different kinds. I read Jim McCann's book which was a great help. What was so valuable about the read was not about the terrain or berries or bird behavior, what was the most valuable, truth, was that to be successful at grouse hunting you must be willing to walk some miles. You can't substitute time in the woods, making your own observations with a plea on an forum for someone to give up a covert on their map that they earned the hard way. Last year, I started walking the woods with a shotgun and a GPS marking berry patches and anything else I thought might hold birds. From 10 August to December4 when I brought my pup home, I heard more birds fly than I saw and ended up with one bird in the bag when the season was over. I must have walked a hundred miles. As I walked, I logged all the places I was so by the time the season was over, I had about 30 spots marked on a map and a mental idea of other places I wanted to try. I got my dog and started his training as a small pup which ended my hunting from December until 10 August this year. This year, I have a promising pointer and a map full of marked coverts to hunt. I have bagged several spruce a couple of ruffed(1=a limit where I got them). I walk and get off the main roads and I have walked a lot of hours without firing a shot. I'm having the best year of grouse and ptarmigan I have ever had! I'm in pretty **** good shape from all of the walking and climbing too! Having said all that, I think that anyone can be successful at finding grouse, but you have to go get them! I'm not going to give up one of my coverts marked on my map to just anyone. Driving down the road until you find them is a McDonalds fast food approach to hunting. But there are birds out there and a successful hunt is not based upon a dead bird, it is the sense of accomplishment of confidently walking the woods and finding your own way to that success. No offense intended to anyone.

It's asking a lot to give up a good spot, because it soon would be an empty spot. The best patches are those you find yourself and the fun in doing it.

Thanks for the advice. I guess my intentions came out a little miss construed. I am more looking for a hunting buddy or someone to go out with more than one time. I understand the secret spot. I grew up on the east coast hunting grouse in the thickets and probably put in the perverbial million miles uphill both ways in the snow looking for birds. Due to family and work and money I don't get out as much as I should (or want) and I don't have a dog to help me find the birds so unless I am lucky enough to kick one up I usually leave empty handed. I am not looking for table scraps here but just a opportunity to get out and enjoy Alaska while I'm here.

Are you new to Alaska? I would suggest you find a huntin buddy from your own social circle. Try to go out and find some backroads, trails or logging roads. You can explore these in full daylight, and try to be there about dusk to see if anything shows up to gravel down. Then if you spot birds, you can plan to be back there at first light since IMO, that is the prime time. The birds won't fly for miles to gravel. They will take what is close by and easy. That puts you in the right location. Then, the hunting is up to you. Any good patch of mixed spruce, alder and poplar will hold birds even if it has been hunted before. They didn't get them all, and they do move around. Usually not more than a mile or two though. As with any hunting, some scouting is required to avoid just blindly going out and flogging the brush hoping you scare something up. Good Luck

JPC, I see that you are military by your profile. Write a couple more thread responses and then you are able to PM. Send me a PM and we might be able to work something out. If your Army, I might be coaxed into giving you a grid coordinate as well. If your not Army you'll need a class on how to read a map, where to get one and if your an officer you'll need a safety brief!

^^^^^ZING! HA!^^^^^^good one, now take the wing nut hunting. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    ^^^^^ZING! HA!^^^^^^good one, now take the wing nut hunting. }:>
    Us wing nuts got to stick together. Besides, I'm going to show him your huntin spot!

Yeah I'm Air Force (enlisted and nothing to do with planes). I have received all of 3hrs of army map reading and I think it hurt me more than it did help. Ill send you a pm once I figure out what I am doing on this forum. This wing nut needs some OJT lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    Yeah I'm Air Force (enlisted and nothing to do with planes). I have received all of 3hrs of army map reading and I think it hurt me more than it did help. Ill send you a pm once I figure out what I am doing on this forum. This wing nut needs some OJT lol.
    I think you must have 10 posts to be able to Send a Private Message. You need to register on JBER iSportsman and make sure your shotgun is registered on post. I'm out of town on business for the week, but we can meet on base when I get back for a cup of coffee and talk huntin and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post

I read Jim McCann's book which was a great help. What was so valuable about the read was not about the terrain or berries or bird behavior, what was the most valuable, truth, was that to be successful at grouse hunting you must be willing to walk some miles.
    "Legs kill birds." - Jim McCann

That's a good book.

Well what if your "Airborne". Does the Leg thing still apply?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Well what if your "Airborne". Does the Leg thing still apply?
    Sure does, just like only Infantry are Paratroopers. Everyone one else is a parachutist!

Well put some miles on today and managed three spruce chickens. Missed another opportunity. Hopefully I will get some more next weekend!

Good on ya James! Any pics?

1379831_643010359063927_1764979114_n.jpg My first three spruce chickens!

Is that first blood with your new shotgun? I half expected to see a rabbit or two! That's a good day down here in our neck of the woods!

Yea I didn't see any hares. Not first blood. I've been lucky enough to take a few ducks here and there with her but she's getting broken in!

Did you find the birds where we were?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast