Thread: Canoe duck blind ideas/cheap blind materials?

Default Canoe duck blind ideas/cheap blind materials?

He anyone made a blind for their canoe? Me and a buddy have a 16ft old town discovery that we are trying to duck hunt out of. We are trying to do everything on the cheap here so we just took a 30ft piece of burlap and some of the camo paint they sell at Walmart and spray painted a design on it then cut some willow branches and few them on top. I was wondering if anyone had a better idea or blind design? Also does anyone have any recommendations for good, cheap, DIY blind materials?

I'll assume no dog, since none was mentioned. How wet is the floor? If you both wear waders or rain pants, can sit on the floor leaning waaaay back on the seats and make a very low profile, the burlap should work well, and cheap. if you insist on sitting up in the seats, not so good, then you need some sort of frame to support the burlap sides, etc and that would be difficult in the canoe. bad thing about both in canoe laying back, the guy in front seat may get a lot of shotgun blast and go deaf if the rear guy can't/won't hold back on ducks flying across the front. I also like some sort of stabalizers on canoes, lots of quick movements when hunting can cause tipping. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

The Catch 22 or what ever you want to call it of boat or any blind is weather you want to be really concealed or be less concealed and be able to take overhead shots. A top cover is real concealment but will limit you on overhead shots, often on the far side of usable range like 45 yards plus. A top cover also keeps you out of the rain like we have had lately in spades. I prefer just to have the side cover/concealment as I can take overhead shots as they are not always long range and by using a modified choke, I can hit long birds with the right loads. By the same token, you will not get a lot of overhead shots because you are visible, especially to wide mallards. It is really a tradeoff, as some Mallards and Pintails and even some smart Widgeon will see your top blind material also. I take the tradeoff of being able to reach out and touch long birds over the chance that more, (often smarted up birds) will come into your restricted overhead blind window which often keeps you from standing to get shots at fast angled birds also. Military camo is good as an all around light, dries fast cover. Burlap either raw or painted stays wet and miserable for a long time when wet. A huge mistake of natural cover if you want to go to the same spot next time is that it gets brown and stands out unless you take the trouble to remove it. I am always bothered by hunters leaving old dry opening day foliage blinds that spoil the natural flight lines of birds on mini-natural flyways and can scare them for good out of some marsh holes. Hope this helps!

No dog. The canoe is hopefully Getting a stabilizer set built here soon. I am thinking I am going to go for the layout blind idea. What does everyone use for materials for there blinds? I was thinking juke twine dyed and strung on but if anyone has better ideas please let me know!

This

I took a sheet of Military die cut cammo and tied fast grass into it. Used like a throw rug. Light, comes in multi colors and dries fast.
    Don
    bigday1213.jpg
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Try attaching some killer weed to the blind.. Mine just disappeared this past weekend in the marsh..that with fast grass makes it very hard to see.

we've been hunting out of canoes this year. Really if you bury them in the grass tipping though is possible its not unlikely.

The shooting deal is definatly one downfall, you're really turned wrong to lay down in a canoe. For that matter if their is two of you you're sitting 90 do your dekes, which is just goofy really. That and you better trust your buddy, that muzzle blast issue is very real. The concusion from a buddies shotgun is no joke, caught me by surprised 2 weekends ago!!! We tried sitting on the floor and were pegged just as fast as we were sitting on the seats, and we took effort to hide the canoe with grass, but obviously not enough. We did find a good cattail blind that worked well yesterday, by the time they could see in they were already set and well within range. Our problem was like yours no dog, recovery on a grassy bog proved tough so we moved to the edge, worked well but we ended up out of the canoe more often than not. There's good spots for a canoe, and not so good ones and we've found more not so good ones than good lol. They do work and can get you into great spots though. We've by far had our best luck on the bank with the canoe drug back in the brush.

I've also done the burlap deal with a inflatable kayak/canoe. Tell ya what that's by far the best rig I think I have for paddling for ducks, its a sevylor svx200. I've done a 140 mile sheep hunt (successfully) out of it. She's not tippy, you can run bad water (selfbailer) or plug the holes and get no water. She sits low to the water and isn't so big she's hard to hide unlike the 16' aluminum we used yesterday. If you're not carrying a load of goose dekes, you're fine solo and gear. You CAN lay down in it quite easily and effectively. I didn't add grass but should have just to break up the outline. Either way they came in to it regularly. I want to either buy some camo burlap or build a fishnet ghillie blanket for it would work great!!! Burlap does hold water and can stink don't ask how I know LOL!

now if I could only figure out how to lead the dang things I'd be in!

If not into painting it.. I would order some fabric by the yard and make a slip cover by hemming some bungee cord around the edges, cutting a couple of sitting holes in it.. Attaching some killer weed or raffia grass by zip ties, maybe a little fast grass on the ends and sides.. then kill some ducks.. Would not take that long to do and you will easily be able to pull it off and on when needed.

I have a great contact for material if interested at a great price per yard.. If interested hit me up on a pm.. I will help if I can.

Thanks everyone. I am debating on paying for killer weed or doing a home jute twine setup. Duckhunter01 I sent you a message!