Thread: New to the forum

Default New to the forum

Hello everyone new to the forum and area. Just got stationed up here and will be here for a while. I have already been fishin the lakes in the valley and every creek from palmer to the willow. Plan on going to Montana creek next weekend if anyone is interested.

Welcome to AK! I'm thinking of going down to the Russian/Kenai Confluence that weekend as they're still finding some chromer cohos down there, with the added attraction of pulling in some nice 'bows. I'm going down this Wednesday for sure. If you're interested send me a PM.

PL, is this you? If it is, I see you found the Forum. Headed out to sore lip some trout. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Yep it is. I'm hoping to get that rod out this weekend. I need to get some shooting heads and I'm set. Either the Montana or the Russian on Saturday. Thanks again for this website. Can't get my nose out of it!

Late welcome sorry. Thank you for your service and I hope you enjoy our assignment even more as the years go flying by.

Thank you, I know I will enjoy it! It was only a week and a half before I started fishing when I got here with my family. I'm lucky my family likes the outdoors it makes it easier.

If you go to the Russian/Upper river, make sure to take some flies for silvers: purple or black egg sucking leeches, pink marabou flies and use some of those flies that I gave you for trout and dollies. Stop at Sheep Creek if you go north. The fish should be hanging out near the mouth of the creek and above. Have fun. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    PL, is this you? If it is, I see you found the Forum. Headed out to sore lip some trout. Tight lines.
    Starting to get that spey down. We have those lakes on post so I go during lunch and practice. I have the tendency to pop the line like a whip. Any suggestions? I feel like when I slow down when the d loop forms and comes around, I pause and then present it tends not to pop.

Try slowing down the start of the forward cast and end it with a spot of the rod pointing to the trees. Good practice on the lawn with a piece of yarn for 5-10 minutes each night and the tempo will come but end your cast high, almost 45%.

Hope this helps.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Try slowing down the start of the forward cast and end it with a spot of the rod pointing to the trees. Good practice on the lawn with a piece of yarn for 5-10 minutes each night and the tempo will come but end your cast high, almost 45%.

Hope this helps.

George
    i will try that thanks. I did feel when I slow my forward cast down or even slow down a smidge after the d loop forms it helps a bit.

Remember it is all technique not power that is why I believe working on the lawn you can slow it down and see and feel and build muscle memory.

George