Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: guide in the hayflats ?

Default guide in the hayflats ?

The wife forwarded me a craigslist posing for guiding hunting in the valley @ $275 per day. I am just guessing he is out on the hay flats but curious to know if anyone has seen him? I don't have anything against the person, but I wouldn't pay that much for a waterfowl hunt here & just kind of wondering if it will work out & how big of an operation he is running.

Saw him at Jim's creek a few years ago. Might of been another guy or outfit. If he is.. Probably over at cottonwood side or possibly running RS down to the outlet or walking over toward the holes to the north of RS.. Doubt it though. He's not where myself and a few other members on here go.. I know that.

Price is not far off of what lower 48 charges depending on where you go. I use to charge 250 for a day back in the Midwest.. Whatever the market will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    The wife forwarded me a craigslist posing for guiding hunting in the valley @ $275 per day. I am just guessing he is out on the hay flats but curious to know if anyone has seen him? I don't have anything against the person, but I wouldn't pay that much for a waterfowl hunt here & just kind of wondering if it will work out & how big of an operation he is running.
    I saw his add on cl and called him last winter asking him to donate a days hunting to the AWA banquet, he said no. Bud
    Wasilla

I would think a guide on the hayflats wouldn't be a good idea, all it takes is one guy with a boat to call him up, then his spot will be occupied for the rest of the season. Unless he's got some private property lined up.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I agree without a lot of private property to hunt I just don't see the ability to make it for long. Places like Delta with all the leased fields, or the other side of the inlet which requires a plane, certain sea duck areas, or anything really out of the way that requires logistics or other limiting factors obviously have more appeal as the everyday guy can't get to them. Most things up here seem to be specialized / localized to a certain areas which is why this would seem like a tough venture.

Bud, its to bad he wouldn't donate a days hunting, especially if he has all the equipment and is doing it right.

I hear you on the free market, but if I am dropping that coin I wouldn't be satisfied with brown ducks & small geese. Of course there will be the occasional bonus of a crane, or spec but not the norm.
    Someday I will make it to Alberta or Arkansas, or the likes where it would be worth the cash. Until then we try to go back to the midwest every other year to hunt pheasants for 4-5 days with our shorthair, & I usually make an extra day or two (need to give the dog a rest) to sit in the pits in Rochester, or Hutch & have a good time shooting the giants & big fat greenheads.

There are lots of people in Alaska that have the money to spend $275 for a days hunting. I'm sure there are many who just want to see what duck hunting is like, to say "i went duck hunting when in Alaska". It may not be the hunt most avid duck hunters would look forward to, but if the guide takes him out, keeps him comfortable, gets a little shooting for him, and keeps him dry, most newbies would feel they got their money's worth without having to buy all the equipment it takes to do it himself, and many trips to learn how. I think for a waterfowl guide to really make it up here, it would have to be a high dollar trip with high end clients, like cold bay, minto, or even flying into a duck shack across the inlet. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

Ummm, where do I start? First of all bud, I think you know who I am and I donate thousands of dollars of Alaska School Wood Decoys (see post here) to DU the last few years. They have brought in thousands at the DU Anchorage Auction and less in Wasilla. I also believe it or not donated decoys to APH that have raised money for them. $275 is dirt cheap. I paid $900 some years ago for a Valdez one day hunt with what I considered not a very professional guide. I am not the only guide/outfitter out there on the flats, some come and go during the season. If someone wants to go hunt upland game in the 48 like the guy below, let them, I only hunt the best and the brightest, waterfowl. All other game is inferior to my way of thinking. These other places mentioned in Alaska are not necessarily better than the flats. I have hunted some of the best places in the state and know this as fact. If you have total control, aptitude and knowledge like a good guide should, the flats produces consistently, which is better than some of the other places. As other hunters have been putting down the flats lately because of few birds, I have been doing well. If you think you are going to get consistent results prancing through the flats upland game style, you are wrong. I don't make a lot from my guide work, but I do it partly to help to preserve the tradition of Classic waterfowling which seems to have become a marketing tool to sell gear. I often use hand made wood decoys and my own calls and I don't use spin-wing decoys. Why anyone would go spend big bucks to hunt sea rabbits (sea ducks) is beyond me). In the old days of not that long ago, these were considered trash ducks on the Chesapeake bay, where I grew up, in the best waterfowl area anywhere. They hunt sea ducks there now, because the wealthy have all the best places as private duck clubs with feed and impoundments and you must be nuts to go to public lands with all the red tape, long lines and poor shooting. Some of the western Alaska so called sea ducks look like Puffins and the main reason hunters go there it seems is for mounts, which is another road taken over the years that just kind of seems silly to an old duck hunter. Want to collect? Collect decoys as they preserve the heritage, traditions and regional influences, and they will go up in price, not just sit on a shelf looking old after the thrill has worn off your private ego trip. Hunters today as below are brainwashed to think it is "equipment" that makes for success in wildfowl hunting. It is knowledge and doing things related to waterfowling 24/7/365. On purpose almost I use basic equipment as I don't want to be seen as a "sport" that is as they say in Texas, "all hat and no cattle". I hunted for years the Tanana and Yukon river systems, including the Y/K delta, which is among the best waterfowl habitat on the planet and have guided on and off since the 1970's. Hunting here in Alaska is much harder than a place like Arkansas where the birds cluster and spend the winter. If the dude below wants to sit on his ass in the "pits" with five other dudes blasting away for "giants" that are easy to hit, let him have it. What difference does it make if the birds are fully colored or not, really, it's the skill you have or can be shown that is a combo of Chess, Poker and Golf that makes the complete waterfowler. It's not a beauty contest, It's not the gear, It's the game.

Red face On the money . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Swamp Man View Post
    . . Hunters today as below are brainwashed to think it is "equipment" that makes for success in . .hunting. . . It's not a beauty contest, It's not the gear, It's the game.

Bingo . . . . . . +1 . . . but I'm afraid the old ways are gone.

I just received the L.L. Bean "hunting" catalog . .

. . what the hell is a "technical" upland hunting shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I just received the L.L. Bean "hunting" catalog . .

. . what the hell is a "technical" upland hunting shirt?

That's the shirt when worn guarantees a bag limit every time you hunt. Lmao...........Gotta love it, much like putting toys in cereal boxes or happy meals used once and then thrown away because they fell apart.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    That's the shirt when worn guarantees a bag limit every time you hunt. Lmao...........Gotta love it, much like putting toys in cereal boxes or happy meals used once and then thrown away because they fell apart.

Well, dammit . . should have known . . had I been wearing one no doubt I'd have had better luck last week . .

Unknown.jpeg

L.L.Bean Technical Upland Shirt

$75.00

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Well, dammit . . should have known . . had I been wearing one no doubt I'd have had better luck last week
    That sure does guarantee luck when you wear it, for at least one person - and that would be Mr. L.L. Bean.

Ummm, where do I start? First of all bud, I think you know who I am and I donate thousands of dollars of Alaska School Wood Decoys (see post here) to DU the last few years. They have brought in thousands at the DU Anchorage Auction and less in Wasilla. I also believe it or not donated decoys to APH that have raised money for them. $275 is dirt cheap. I paid $900 some years ago for a Valdez one day hunt with what I considered not a very professional guide. I am not the only guide/outfitter out there on the flats, some come and go during the season. If someone wants to go hunt upland game in the 48 like the guy below, let them, I only hunt the best and the brightest, waterfowl. All other game is inferior to my way of thinking. These other places mentioned in Alaska are not necessarily better than the flats. I have hunted some of the best places in the state and know this as fact. If you have total control, aptitude and knowledge like a good guide should, the flats produces consistently, which is better than some of the other places. As other hunters have been putting down the flats lately because of few birds, I have been doing well. If you think you are going to get consistent results prancing through the flats upland game style, you are wrong. I don't make a lot from my guide work, but I do it partly to help to preserve the tradition of Classic waterfowling which seems to have become a marketing tool to sell gear. I often use hand made wood decoys and my own calls and I don't use spin-wing decoys. Why anyone would go spend big bucks to hunt sea rabbits (sea ducks) is beyond me). In the old days of not that long ago, these were considered trash ducks on the Chesapeake bay, where I grew up, in the best waterfowl area anywhere. They hunt sea ducks there now, because the wealthy have all the best places as private duck clubs with feed and impoundments and you must be nuts to go to public lands with all the red tape, long lines and poor shooting. Some of the western Alaska so called sea ducks look like Puffins and the main reason hunters go there it seems is for mounts, which is another road taken over the years that just kind of seems silly to an old duck hunter. Want to collect? Collect decoys as they preserve the heritage, traditions and regional influences, and they will go up in price, not just sit on a shelf looking old after the thrill has worn off your private ego trip. Hunters today as below are brainwashed to think it is "equipment" that makes for success in wildfowl hunting. It is knowledge and doing things related to waterfowling 24/7/365. On purpose almost I use basic equipment as I don't want to be seen as a "sport" that is as they say in Texas, "all hat and no cattle". I hunted for years the Tanana and Yukon river systems, including the Y/K delta, which is among the best waterfowl habitat on the planet and have guided on and off since the 1970's. Hunting here in Alaska is much harder than a place like Arkansas where the birds cluster and spend the winter. If the dude below wants to sit on his ass in the "pits" with five other dudes blasting away for "giants" that are easy to hit, let him have it. What difference does it make if the birds are fully colored or not, really, it's the skill you have or can be shown that is a combo of Chess, Poker and Golf that makes the complete waterfowler. It's not a beauty contest, It's not the gear, It's the game.

Uhhhh? Cocky much? I believe about 1/2 of what you said, but nice way to try to defend guiding sub-standard hunts on public land for brown birds...

You sounds like great guide.....get over yourself.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Bout sums it up.. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Uhhhh? Cocky much? I believe about 1/2 of what you said, but nice way to try to defend guiding sub-standard hunts on public land for brown birds...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

If someone wants to go hunt upland game in the 48 like the guy below, let them, I only hunt the best and the brightest, waterfowl. the dude below wants to sit on his ass in the "pits" with five other dudes blasting away for "giants" that are easy to hit, let him have it. What difference does it make if the birds are fully colored or not, really, it's the skill you have or can be shown that is a combo of Chess, Poker and Golf that makes the complete waterfowler. It's not a beauty contest, It's not the gear, It's the game.
    Hmm, wasn't putting you down just said i couldn't justify the $ for the duck hunting here. You are right first & foremost I enjoy training & hunting behind my shorthairs. I would rather spend any day of the week hunting upland game & watching them work vs sitting in a duck blind. However, since that isn't really a viable option as much here we go out & waterfowl hunt during the short season. We go out of state in Nov. when the ducks are long gone from here. It is usually my wife & I so that would be $650 for a day. I went out one day last week & shot 6. The next day I took my wife and we only managed 4. So hypothetically if I had a guide & we got say 10, I couldn't justify the cost for the reward. There are a lot of young /immature ducks here, easier to decoy & I don't care what your decoys are made of. I have gone out to Bethel, & the ducks were still brown & ugly, sure we got a few specs, even helped a new hunter to a swan, but again I wouldn't pay to go out on a guided hunt there either. So I guess it is somewhat of a beauty contest because I find shooting mature, full plumage ducks more rewarding. And btw when we sit in the pits, or layout blinds, it has never been with 5 other guys, just my wife, my father, & and sometimes another relative. I personally like sitting in a let out blind in the middle of picked corn fields watching the easy to hit giants come in & they are fun to shoot, as well, more so then the teal & widgeon around here. Last year we had one of the biggest flocks of mallards I have seen come in from a long ways & circle a few times over the course of a few minutes before we called it & dropped 6. I guarantee I will never do that here in south central, and that is why I made my statement.

However, I do agree with the post above saying there is plenty of money up here, & as he justly stated for the person who doesn't have the gear, & doesn't want to make the investment, as it may be just a once a year thing it would be just fine.

Sorry I inquired.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Hmm, wasn't putting you down just said i couldn't justify the $ for the duck hunting here. You are right first & foremost I enjoy training & hunting behind my shorthairs. I would rather spend any day of the week hunting upland game & watching them work vs sitting in a duck blind. However, since that isn't really a viable option as much here we go out & waterfowl hunt during the short season. We go out of state in Nov. when the ducks are long gone from here. It is usually my wife & I so that would be $650 for a day. I went out one day last week & shot 6. The next day I took my wife and we only managed 4. So hypothetically if I had a guide & we got say 10, I couldn't justify the cost for the reward. There are a lot of young /immature ducks here, easier to decoy & I don't care what your decoys are made of. I have gone out to Bethel, & the ducks were still brown & ugly, sure we got a few specs, even helped a new hunter to a swan, but again I wouldn't pay to go out on a guided hunt there either. So I guess it is somewhat of a beauty contest because I find shooting mature, full plumage ducks more rewarding. And btw when we sit in the pits, or layout blinds, it has never been with 5 other guys, just my wife, my father, & and sometimes another relative. I personally like sitting in a let out blind in the middle of picked corn fields watching the easy to hit giants come in & they are fun to shoot, as well, more so then the teal & widgeon around here. Last year we had one of the biggest flocks of mallards I have seen come in from a long ways & circle a few times over the course of a few minutes before we called it & dropped 6. I guarantee I will never do that here in south central, and that is why I made my statement.

However, I do agree with DH01 there is plenty of money up here, & as he justly stated for the person who doesn't have the gear, & doesn't want to make the investment, as it may be just a once a year thing it would be just fine.

I'm sure he'll tell you that's exactly what he does, huge flocks of cupped up wall-hangers every day of the season. Not really a good business model up here, considering the likelihood of repeat clients is slim, at best.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You sounds like great guide.....get over yourself.
    I think your quote about "you haven't got a clue about anything" explains it all.

Banned

No one, especially me, cares how much you believe what is true. Brown birds is Alaska, bub, I know, your a bird stuffer, right? top quality hunts for Alaska birds is what I do. I know for sure I have much more experience than you, where do you do "your quality hunts? On public land? What private land do you hunt as the best hunting in AK is ALL on public land.

Banned

I'm sure he'll tell you that's exactly what he does, huge flocks of cupped up wall-hangers every day of the season. Not really a good business model up here, considering the likelihood of repeat clients is slim, at best.
    Wall hangers, How did I know? Here is a wall hanger for you, got 2000 bucks?IMG_0459_edited-1.jpg

No one, especially me, cares how much you believe what is true. Brown birds is Alaska, bub, I know, your a bird stuffer, right? top quality hunts for Alaska birds is what I do. I know for sure I have much more experience than you, where do you do "your quality hunts? On public land? What private land do you hunt as the best hunting in AK is ALL on public land.

I don't care what, where, when, or how you hunt. I don't care how much experience you have or anything. I'm saying you're offering a bogus product as the only Alaskan waterfowling worth paying for is in the salt and maybe some crane hunting in the interior. There are hundreds of operations in the lower 48 offering better hunts than what you can provide up here at better prices and probably a few dozen or more using hand-carved wooden blocks (you should know this of you're from anywhere near the Eastern Shore). If I paid you a nickel for a guided hunt in Southcentral, I'd be pissed at the results and probably even more upset with your holier than thou attitude; but, I guess that's why you're advertising on craigslist. And who said anything about private land? I never claimed to hunt private land, never claimed to have more experience than you, and never claimed I stuffed birds (whatever you mean by that). Although, I must admit, your attitude towards people who mount birds is laughable, at best, given an inability to provide said product to clients.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast