Thread: New pup

Default New pup

I know this is off topic a bit but I just dropped the hammer on getting a new black lab pup. After spending the last week kicking grass looking for my dead ducks and looking like an idiot chasing cripples through the marsh I decided it would be time to get one. The litter is scheduled to be born the 1st of October and when she is 8 weeks old will start an 8 week puppy training before she gets up here around the 1st of February.
    I decided to go with Duck hills kennel because they have smaller labs and that would work a lot better for me than a hundred pound dog. She shouldn't get over about 45lbs. I have been looking for a while and found a number of people with duck hills dogs and after contacting them none had anything but good to say about their dogs. So hopefully by next season I have a new blind buddy to spend time in the marsh with.

No pics of her cuz she won't be born for another few weeks but here is a pic of the sire.

If anyone has any good names for a female lab let me know. I don't have anything picked out yet and am drawing blanks on a good name

Sent while hiding from the boss

The sire is a nice looking dog. congradulations on the new baby, pass out the cigars. I've never heard of Duck Hills, where are they located. is the sire a hunt test or field trial dog. i have a nice little black bi*ch (among 3 others) weighs about 60 lbs and she can be very hot. i see you are in sterling, too bad, the retriever clubs up here put on a very good series of training days, from feb-april, every saturday, almost free and very worthwhile. there are some very good training vidios available and not expensive that can be a great help. we also have retriever club members who live down there that may be able to train with you and give some help. enjoy him, having a dog working for you is one of the most rewarding parts of duck hunting.

a word of warning, looks like you may be getting pick of liter, putting down a deposit early, which is good. do not get the alpha male, he will be headstrong and very difficult to handle, always fighting you. get one that is friendly and very active, but not always beating up on the other pups, the breeder will know which is the alpha male of the liter. Bud
    Wasilla

Next female lab I get is going to be named Susie, after a hen mallard.

The Duck Dog Basics video put out by Chris Aiken is really good. He explains everything and makes it really simple to understand how to get your new pup trained up. I think he put out a new video for step two of dog training, or he is working on it now.

I'm going to look for a new pup when I get to Maryland. I bet they have some really good kennels over there with all the waterfowling history they have.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Why not go with the tried and true method of using the city in which the pup was conceived!

I've never heard of Duck Hills, where are they located.
    Assuming there isn't another kennel with the same name. The name Robert Milner should strike a bell. Robert Milner's Duck Hills Kennels out of Tennessee.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post

Now that guy doesn't look like he likes to hunt at all...!!!....lol

Good luck with the *****. If you need any tips on training let me know. I personally trained my old chessie, (whistle, hand signals, etc...) and she ended up being one in a million. I've got my smart yellow right beside me here now which I started well, and even though I had every intention, because I wasn't hunting ducks anymore I didn't follow through. So maybe we could do something together? I mean seeing that we just live down the road from each other....

Besides you mentioned killing some ducks together last time we talked......lol.

Let me know....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I didn't think bit*h was a bad word when you are talking about dogs...........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I named my yellow Suzie, for the same reason as duckslayer. Keta is a name I've always liked, as well

4mer we do need to get together this year and do some hunting.

Blackdog the pup will come out of Tennessee and there is good breeding way back through her lines If I remember both both Dame and sire are field champion as well as many on up through the line on both sides I know for sure the sire is. I looked at both parents pedigree for just that same reason. I won't use her in any hunt tests except my own so as long as she minds and brings me my ducks and geese back I'll be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I didn't think bit*h was a bad word when you are talking about dogs...........lol
    its not, but they put it as ***** and i changed it then to bit*ch. picky arn't they. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    4mer we do need to get together this year and do some hunting.

Blackdog the pup will come out of Tennessee and there is good breeding way back through her lines If I remember both both Dame and sire are field champion as well as many on up through the line on both sides I know for sure the sire is. I looked at both parents pedigree for just that same reason. I won't use her in any hunt tests except my own so as long as she minds and brings me my ducks and geese back I'll be happy with that.

sounds like you got one with some good breeding, thats great, will pay off in the long run, and increases you chances of getting a dog you will be real happy with, just curious how you found that particular kennel. do you know somebody who suggested it to you. Be sure and check on health clearance of parents. usually with a top kennel, not a problem, but good to check anyhow. make sure both parents have hips/elbows that are rated good or better, and both test as clear for EIC and CNM. My old guy has bad hips and I once had a dog with EIC, and you really don't want either. Do what you can to be sure you get a good sound healthy pup. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    sounds like you got one with some good breeding, thats great, will pay off in the long run, and increases you chances of getting a dog you will be real happy with, just curious how you found that particular kennel. do you know somebody who suggested it to you. Be sure and check on health clearance of parents. usually with a top kennel, not a problem, but good to check anyhow. make sure both parents have hips/elbows that are rated good or better, and both test as clear for EIC and CNM. My old guy has bad hips and I once had a dog with EIC, and you really don't want either. Do what you can to be sure you get a good sound healthy pup. Bud
    Both the parents come with health clearance I think she said they do some kind of eye check also. I found Duck hills because I was looking for someone that has smaller labs when I searched for a breeder of smaller dogs Duck hills came up with something that he calls a canoe lab and they are bred smaller for hunting from canoes and smaller boats. Average size is 35-50lbs. So I got to checking around and decided after about a year of looking and talking to people who have a canoe lab and finally decided to get one. I was originally going to wait till one of my other dogs passes but figured one more can't hurt. I have a spoiled begal right now that is getting up in age. I actually think she would have made a good retriever but she has always hated water.

Congrats on the pup on the way soon!

Congrats on the pup on the way soon!