Thread: Hornady Lock-N-Load auto charge powder dispenser

Default Hornady Lock-N-Load auto charge powder dispenser

I bought one of these a little over two years ago for loads that I wasn't dropping with the Dillon 550B powder dispenser. I had read so many negative customer feed back reports on the RCBS and Lyman auto dispensers concerning failure, warm up time, static, over charging that I decided to try this one when it first hit the market, it was a little less expensive too.

These auto charge machines are like a third hand. They drop a charge while you are busy sorting, seating, crimping, packaging, etc. They are a huge time saver.

Overall I've been pleased with it's ability to dispense any powder I've tried with reasonable accuracy. It's adjustable with three dispensing speeds to accommodate the powder selected. It auto trickles and starts the next charge when the tray is placed back on the machine as long as the previous charge was not an over charge. If it was an over charge it will beep and require you to hit the reset button prior to dispensing the next charge. Generally selecting a slower final trickle setting will solve a future overcharge condition.

I've not counted the loads I've thrown with this machine but estimates based on the ammo I've shot personally, the ammo I've made for two competitive shooters, cousins, brothers, uncles, neighbors, friends it quickly exceeds 8,000 charges over the past two years.

I right this thread basically because of the great customer service Hornady recently provided. A little over a week ago I went out in the shop to load up a recipe and the machine just made a hmm sound followed by a few clicks. I called Hornady and they immediately emailed a return authorization and a UPS label for free shipment back to Hornady. I taped the label on the box on dropped it at a UPS drop site less than 2 miles from home.

Hornady followed up with an email saying they received the dispenser and a tracking email saying they had shipped a new one out that same day. Now less than 10 days from the initial call I'm sitting in front of a brand new Lock-N-Load dispenser, no questions asked, no hassle at all. They didn't waste my time with a repair job, just a sparkling new machine.

The amazing thing is this product was registered when I bought it and it's clearly beyond its one year warranty period
    , They replaced it anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornady Lock-N-Load.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	73830

That's pretty darn cool. Nice to see a company stand behind their products even after the warranty.

I just ordered a charge master after having read good reviews on it pretty much everywhere. My experience is that RCBS treats customers well also. I hope not to test that experience though..never thought I'd spend that much money just to throw powder, but was getting tired of manually measuring every charge and have a hard time blindly trusting a measure..

hope you get many years out of the new one!

Thanks for the info Marshall, I've been thinking about adding a dispenser to speed up my .223 reloading, I think i'll give this a try. I like the other Hornady items I own...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Thanks for the info Marshall, I've been thinking about adding a dispenser to speed up my .223 reloading, I think i'll give this a try. I like the other Hornady items I own...
    I have a good friend that bought the Lyman a few months prior to my purchase of the Hornady, more than two years ago. It's all the problems he had with the Lyman and it's higher price that sent me to Hornady in the first place. I haven't had any problems except for the complete failure with a little more than two years and several thousands of charges. Even with that they replaced it hassle free.

My friends Lyman broke a gear about a week into his first usage, Lyman repaired it. Next his scale was drifting a lot, couldn't duplicate a charge +/- 0.5gr. There was no air flow or fluorescent lights in the bench area, I checked that. Lyman trouble shooting suggested it was to close to an electric outlet. He purchased a power strip and moved the dispenser. Next came errors associated with static. He bought an anti-static electric component mat and put the dispenser on that then added a ground to the dispenser. All this and it's still making numerous errors.

I have talked to guys with the RCBS, they have had a few issues but mostly they're satisfied. The Hornady isn't flawless but it has three speed settings that allows you to adjust trickling for the powder type used. This solves nearly all over charge issues. If not, you can simply charge .2gr light and adjust by hand if needed, it has a manual trickle button.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You got better customer service from Hornady than I did, and the problem I had was just with a sizing die.

The creature I spoke to, was rude and argumentative on the phone, and didn't replace the part that broke because of the die.

I was POed at Hornady for a long time.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I do like Hornady, always treated me well but some of their stuff isnít that wonderful but some is just stellar. I just love their AP press, itís every bit as good as a Dillon 650. Their customer service is great every time IĎve used it.

I had ordered a set of 256WM dies and the hole falls right at the shoulder making a knife edge inside that cut every case I put in there. It would resize a once fired case but 256WM cases ether come from 357 brass or at a very pretty penny. I gave them a call and they sent me another die licitly split. New die had the same issue though so I called and was put through to the engorging department, they understood the issue and said they would fix it on the next run . . . Which could be years away due to how uncommon the round is. So I was SOL on fixing the problem but they did refund me $25 that I put toward Redding 256WM dies which are flawless. I think they were more than fair with me even if they couldnít fix my issue right away.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona