Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Registration Sheep Success!

Default Registration Sheep Success!

Just got back from a registration Sheep hunt with two good buddies and we all managed to pull great rams and make some great memories in the field. The hunt was scheduled to be ten days long as filling three sheep tags was going to be a tall order but Mother Nature stepped in and put us on delay the first three days of the trip. We were just about to start making different plans when the weather broke enough for the air transporter to get us into our hunting area. With only 7 days left to hunt, we hit the ground hiking and immediately starting seeing sheep but no legal rams. On day three of the hunt we decided to push several miles up a creek choked with alders into an area we knew would be difficult for most people to reach. There we found a group of 5 rams with two of them being exceptional trophies.

We camped on them the rest of the day and on the morning of day 4 we managed to get within range and my partners Nick and Brian were able to put the two big boys down.

Day 5 was spent on an 8 mile death march back down the creek with loaded packs and required us to cross through the creek several dozen times to avoid hiking through the dense alders. With boots filled to the top with water, and nearly exhausted we finally made it back to the river bar near where we were dropped off and setup camp for our final two days of the trip.

At this point I knew the trip was a success, as taking two out of three sheep in a registration area is a heck of an accomplishment as it is. We talked about it that night though, and decided that if anybody could pull off taking three rams in a 7 day trip it was us. The morning of day 6 arrived with the typical weather we'd been dealing with all week, overcast, rain and the occasional sun ray poking through the clouds. While Brian and Nick worked on fleshing their sheep I glassed every drainage I could find in search of a band of rams. That evening I located a group of 4 rams 1.5 miles behind camp which held one ram that appeared to be legal. Day 7 arrived with Nick and I heading out after the ram I spotted the day before and Brian staying back at camp alittle under the weather. When we summited the peak the rams had been hanging out on we discovered they had moved through a valley to another mountain about 1 mile further. While glassing them we also found 4 other small groups of sheep on the same mountain, all being rams. We picked through the sub-legal rams one by one until we came across a ram that we immediately recognized as being well above legal and took off on our stalk. We did everything right, going way out of our way to get the wind correct and make a quiet stalk until I found myself 225 yards away from the bedded ram and made a great shot as he laid bedded.

We were completely ecstatic that we had spent the last 7 days in such beautiful country, without seeing a single other person, and all took trophy rams without having to draw a tag from ADF&G. The final talley at the Anchorage office had Nick and Brian's Rams both 37" and 9 years old. Nicks ram had exceptional mass that carries all the way down to the tips and Brian's ram was extremely wide, making them very unique trophies. Mine ended up at 11 years old and 38".

Just goes to prove a great Sheep hunt can be had even if you don't draw your dream tag. Thanks for reading fellas.

Wow....you guys REALLY kicked ass....!!! Congratulations on some fine rams big time...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice Rams guys. Great write up.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...STUNNING! On a side note - do you need a sheep hunting partner next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Wow...STUNNING! On a side note - do you need a sheep hunting partner next year?
    Anytime Brian!!

Great job, guys! Thanks for the write-up and for the pictures. As someone who struck out this year on a sheep hunt in an open area, successful trips like yours make me both excited for next year and super jealous at the same time.

Thumbs up

Very well done guys....mother nature made it hard for ya too....you earned those rams!

Wow, you guys hit the nail on the head with that hunt, and even provided a nice report with a bunch of pictures. I think the water on the lens really adds character to some of the photos and conveys the conditions you must have experienced. Nicely done guys, and congrats.

WOW!!! That is a major accomplishment no matter where you are hunting. All beautiful rams. You guys make a good team that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your success and enjoy the sheep meat and relish the pictures and trophy on the wall.

Wow !!! You guys were in Beast Mode !!! .......Congrats on those great Rams !!!! Did you film that hunt? Pics show awesome footage. Thanks for sharing this......I'm jealous, but pumped over your story.

Thanks, what a great hunting write up...Congrats on those very impressive Rams!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Please delete before HuntAK59 sees this and makes me go next year! Congrats though, super awesome!

Now thats getting it done. Congratulations

Hubba-Hubba... wow, what hunt.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

It's been said already, but WOW! I'm missing out on all things Alaska this year thanks to an unplanned vacation in Afghanistan. So I'm living vicariously through this story and others like it. I appreciate you sharing more than you can imagine. Congrats on an incredible hunt. You are some tough hombre’s for sure and it looks like every step was sheep hunting at its “finest”.

I don't think it gets any better than that! Congrats to the three of you it sounds like you worked your butts off and made it happen with three exceptional rams.

Well done, will you be getting those mounted? How many of you still mount animals? I have 5 whitetails mounted, but don't mount anymore, even though many I have shot are bigger then 3 of the 5 mounts.

You guys are beasts!! Congrats on hunting hard and getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Please delete before HuntAK59 sees this and makes me go next year! Congrats though, super awesome!
    Pack your bags.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast