Thread: Looking for a good place to hunt near soldotna. Funny river area?

Default Looking for a good place to hunt near soldotna. Funny river area?

First time hunting in the area and was wounding where would be a good place to go..any one have any suggestions?

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by freedomnight View Post
    First time hunting in the area and was wounding where would be a good place to go..any one have any suggestions?

You need to realize that people work pretty hard to find their hunting areas, even for small game. Small game numbers are really low on the peninsula right now, making people even less likely to give up spots. My suggestion would be to start researching on here or find some public land and start scouting.

seems sad that people here are not very help full to some one who lives and works in the community. Was not asking for any privet seceret hunting ground.. just a place to get started.. . I'm sure some one helped them out at some point in time. They shure were not born with the info they have.. But thanks anyways.. Good luck in the season

seems sad that people here are not very help full to some one who lives and works in the community. Was not asking for any privet seceret hunting ground.. just a place to get started.. . I'm sure some one helped them out at some point in time. They shure were not born with the info they have.. But thanks anyways.. Good luck in the season

What do you mean by a place to get started?
    Any placed like that I could give would be a place I have had decent success before. That is not something I give up on an open forum sorry but that's how it is. There are hundreds if not thousands of people wanting this same information reading this website every day.
    Many hunting spots I found myself by scouting around on public land. Others I got from friends when we were hunting together and we hunted each others spots.
    So no I did not get them by being a cyber scout.
    I would suggest you go to the boroughs website. On their maps their is an option to see who owns the land.
    I would pick an area and look for public land in that area on the maps. Then scout them out. Look for areas where you can get further out. The easy access areas normally get hit fairly hard, but get a bit further off the beaten path and you should have better luck.
    Good Luck and Good Hunting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I don't expect some one to announce there spot over the Web. But a nice.. Pm saying one place may be easier to access. Then another.. Or a suggestion on a road some where.. That would be a starting point.. Just because I'm in the contracting business don't mean i can't give advice on how to to do a home repair just so i can make the money.. .. Last thing i wanna do is step on any ones toes just thought i could get some hands on advice . Other then going to the game refuge. Been a long working summer.and just wanted to go out tomorrow maybe get a bird or two.. .

I don't expect some one to announce there spot over the Web. But a nice.. Pm saying one place may be easier to access. Then another.. Or a suggestion on a road some where.. That would be a starting point.. Just because I'm in the contracting business don't mean i can't give advice on how to to do a home repair just so i can make the money.. .. Last thing i wanna do is step on any ones toes just thought i could get some hands on advice . Other then going to the game refuge. Been a long working summer.and just wanted to go out tomorrow maybe get a bird or two.. .

Not trying to be argumentative here. But most of us found our own hunting spots by scouting areas out ourselves.
    I have friends that have lived here over 40 years and I still find places they never knew about to hunt. Usually trails I have found while out and about scouting or hunting. They also show me areas they hunted as kids that still produce though lately not as much as a few years ago.
    I know some of the areas I frequent are know and hunted by others. Sometimes on the same days but usually I can find a spot to go that isn't too crowded even if that means I move from area A to area B or C due to others being their first.
    I probably hunt some of the same areas as some other forum members and we don't even know it.
    But every person one of us tells increases the odds we will find other hunters in the exact spot next time we go.
    I like to hunt some areas that are not on the road when possible. A 1/2 mile or longer hike often times gets me away from other hunters.
    Find a trail that you can hike out. Sprucehen this time of year like clovers and berries. Lingon berries are a particular favorite.
    From now until the snow sticks thy\e will be looking for gravel areas to find grit to fill their gizzards because they cannot do so in winter.
    Find a place to park and hike around the woods in general or find a trail to hike out. After a few trips you will have a list of areas to try that you have seen or harvested small game in the past.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Realities of hunting a populated area with very little accessible public land to hunt. Be glad this isn't texas... I'm not sure what more help you want, no one responded to your post after 100 views so I told you exactly how I got started, read here, start walking public land. Any thing more WOULD be giving you my "secret spots".