Thread: Potbuilder...?

Default Potbuilder...?

What causes these kinks in my puller line again?

Thanks!

I don't know what Steve will tell you but looks to me to be too stiff a line. When I had hydraulic pullers on my previous boats, I used 1/4" nylon "goldline" that was really supple. No kinks tailing off into a garbage can pulling longline and shrimp pots and it never gave me any trouble. I ran up to 10 shrimp pots on a string too and no problems with it for the top shot above the 1/2" poly line I used for the pots. The only thing I had to adjust was removing the spacers in the sheaves so I got a good grab on the line and kept the line from running too deep in the sheaves and trim the line stripper to match.

too soft a lay/twist of the rope will sometimes cause those kinks to appear in the rope. I've been told the strands slip between each other and cause the misalignment of the strands. I think it also depends on what materials the rope is made of, how many fine strands each lay has in it and how hard each lay/strand is twisted with the other strands. There are so many grades of rope out there to choose from and its made all over the world so quality & consistency is always a big factor. I don't sell any Chinese/Taiwanise rope, my sinking "no coil" braid is USA made and my float rope is made in Canada, if i sold USA made float rope it would be at least twice the price.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks gents. May be time to look around for some new line. My lines are at least 10 years old. I think I can keep the floating 'bottom line' (orange poly) and splice in new sinking line that runs from the bottom line to the buoy.

That is called a hockle, or the less politically correct term, an "a--hole, they result from twists in your three strand line. Could be caused by current spinning the bouy and line, putting turns on a capstan, or coiling the line counter-clockwise. A hard set 3 strand line reduces the tendency of the current to twist the line and braided line , having strands going in both directions, has no right or left lay as in twisted line.