Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy starting out

Default new guy starting out

OK so I have been wanting to get into duck hunting for a couple years now and have finally decided to actually get out and do it (or at least try and fail miserably, either way it beats sitting at home). I am pretty much starting from scratch I have an 11-87 to use as a shotgun, a pair of bogs, a set of chest waders (I should have them this weekend) I also have a canoe (old town predator square stern) but no motor. So is there anything else I should look into getting right away aside from shells?

As for places to go I was thinking about cottonwood creek and walking the trails and jumping some but not having been down them wasn't sure if that was even a viable option. I thought a bout putting the canoe in rabbit slough but paddling and jump shooting combined seems like it would result in more frustration than anything. Anyway any thoughts ideas and comments would be appreciated. I am hoping to get a motor for the canoe next summer.

Duckhunters are a special breed.. Many want to start and later find out the elements and conditions often discourage them from wantig to really get serious. Whether the new guys joing us old timers truly understand the art in waterfowling or not. Welcome to an incredible sporting heritage! You will be tested, and whether you fall in love with it or not, you will have a great time watching the marsh come alive, listening to the whistling of the wings as they dart over your decoys, and as the smells of the marsh enter your senses you will know that you are entering a sport truly like no other.

You will need to get a couple of dozen decoys, no need to go expensive, and while your at it, pick up one of the Avery square bottom decoy bags.. Don't get the cheap mesh.. Hang up with decoys etc. Texas rig your decoys and use 4oz weights if possible with at least 4ft of line.

RS will be suicide in a canoe paddling by yourself.. Forget that.. Wait until you have a motor. Cottonwood is a good start.. But you will need to walk a mile or two out to reach good hunting.. Many on here do this constantly with high success rates. I would recommend doing this to truly get what duckhunting is all about and what extreme measures we all go through for that one bird..

Most of all... Order a DR-85 duck call.. Probably the easiest call to learn to blow and provides a great sound.. I like many have allot of high dollar calls on my lanyard, but I still find myself going to this call as they work the decoys. Don't spend allot of money to get involved in this new sport.. And if you decide it is not for you.. Hit me up.. I will buy your decoys from you. good luck and welcome to the waterfowling sport.

If you have any questions.. Sende a PM.. I will help.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    OK so I have been wanting to get into duck hunting for a couple years now and have finally decided to actually get out and do it (or at least try and fail miserably, either way it beats sitting at home). I am pretty much starting from scratch I have an 11-87 to use as a shotgun, a pair of bogs, a set of chest waders (I should have them this weekend) I also have a canoe (old town predator square stern) but no motor. So is there anything else I should look into getting right away aside from shells?

As for places to go I was thinking about cottonwood creek and walking the trails and jumping some but not having been down them wasn't sure if that was even a viable option. I thought a bout putting the canoe in rabbit slough but paddling and jump shooting combined seems like it would result in more frustration than anything. Anyway any thoughts ideas and comments would be appreciated. I am hoping to get a motor for the canoe next summer.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Have you ever done any duck hunting in the past, either jump or decoy shooting. Rabbit slough is out unless you pick up a small motor, very little jump shooting on it unless maybe weekdays later in season due ot boat traffic. can access some ponds and lakes from there however. end of maud road, butte area, is my suggestion, mud lake there or jim lake further up, holds a few ducks. walking out on cottonwood may be best bet, atv is better, further towards the inlet you get, more ducks. trail goes out about 7 miles. if you walk, water sometimes knee deep on the trail so waders or hip boots. dog is real helpful in case you shoot something that lands across the creek or marsh. might give that a try on foot and see how you like it, they do get ducks close in, just not as many. good luck and welcome to forum. Bud
    Wasilla

Oh yeah... Forgot the most important part... Calling.. That DR-85 will probably be best if just hanging around your neck as a good luck charm.. Keep it simple and learn the 7 different calls and how to properly use them.. I personally think calling waterfowl is an art.. Learning what the birds are doing and how they will react or simply blow you off is key to knowing prior to picking up a call. Learn the basic "resting hen quack" it is most commonly used by her as she is just hanging out.. Many different sounds, notes etc.. But get online and learn these.. Carry your call in the truck and have fun while driving.

Here in AK.. You don't need to know more than the basic lonesome hen quack, comeback call and the greeting call. Those three when properly used or combined will put birds in your lap.. The most common mistake by most of us is not knowig when to let the birds work.. Hence learning to read the birds on a wing, indentify what species you are trying to talk too.. and knowing when to blow the call will enhance your ability to become a better waterfowler.

Have fun..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks for the advise. I ran out to cottonwood and with the rain my bogs were definitely not enough. Think I walked about 75 yards on my tiptoes giving me about an inch of free board before I said enough. Walked down along Cottonwood Creek and heard a couple crane on the other side (parking lot side) of the creek. Found a couple decoys that were either lost or left behind either way they are still there. Had a single fly overhead higher than I would like and no good way to retrieve with the boots i had so I let it pass. If the chest waders don't make it this weekend I we about picking up some hipboots to get me through till I have the waders.

As for rabbit slough would a minnkota be enough motor to push the canoe or am I looking at needing a gas motor? I might be able to use a buddy's minnkota if its enough.

I do have a wheeler however it is down for the season with an assortment of issues.

For Jim and mud lakes would I be hunting from the canoe if so I am assuming camo for the canoe would be on the required list right?

Having a dog would be awesome my wife has a 1 dog limit so until my current dog moves on (still has a few years left in her) I am gonna be without a 4 legged retriever.

Jim and Mud lakes would be easy in a canoe, just paddle out, and set up some decoys where you see birds sitting and hope they come back. You always want to camo everything when waterfowling. The birds see much better than we do, and as the season moves along they get shy to anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes spent shells floating in the water is enough to spook them away. You want to hide yourself and anything you bring along as best you can. The big thing most guys forget is to hide their face. It sticks out like a sore thumb, so get yourself a face mask or some face paint (paint seems to be the fad these days with Duck Dynasty being so popular), one thing to remember about paint though, it's a pain to get off. I wear a ghillie suit top over my jacket, and have had birds try to land next to me out in the open water. It breaks up your outline and blends in with the marsh much better than a jacket.

Cottonwood will definitely need chest waders, the trail is waist deep in some places due to the ATV's tearing it up so bad. Plus if you do decide to jump shoot, there is a ton of muskeg and deep holes out there that will make you very happy you have them. I would go with breathable waders, due to the amount of heat you are going to generate by walking. Neoprene for jump shooting is just plain miserable. If you find a good spot that you like to shoot you might just want to stash a bag of decoys out there and hide them when you are done hunting for day. Make it look like a muskrat den and most guys will just walk right on past it. Hugh told you right though, you will need to walk out several miles to get into the really good shooting at cottonwood, most of the birds in the parking lot area are pretty shell shocked by the end of the first or second week.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Cottonwood will definitely need chest waders, the trail is waist deep in some places
    It isn't really waist deep out there on the trail is it??? How do you get your ATV though it without going off the trail??? Bud
    Wasilla

yes it sure is. In the big hole out there that gets wider and wider every day there are ruts that if you fall in are waist deep. They are getting the quads in by going off of the trail. But a caveat on the waist deep portion, it was at high tide when I walked through, so not sure if it gets shallower in that area when the tide goes out. I don't remember that spot being too affected by it though.

BTW FloorGuy, I'm going to have a bag of decoys for sale as soon as I get them counted and figure out which species are in there. I think there is about 3 dozen. If you are interested let me know.

duckslayer I'm in need of decoys is there a chance that I can buy some from you. I sent you a PM not sure if it went threw though thanks.

Thanks for the additional info I will check out Mud and Jim lakes. I will find something to cover my face with, not really feeling the paint and don't have cable so I've only had about 5 minutes exposure to duck dynasty and I don't think it had anything to do with hunting or ducks.

PM sent about decoys.

I'd give cottonwood a try. Tough going though on the ATV trail if you're walking as it is nasty in some spots. If you do go out there on ATV it is best to have a buddy with another wheeler as there is nothing to winch on if/when you get stuck or high centered(it will happen, almost guarantee it if you stay on marked trail like you should). Went out last weekend and shot plenty of ducks about near the end of the trail(7 miles in)

Took my canoe and a buddy to rabbit slough the other day. We went up instead of down I know everyone is wondering why. Well it was my first time there trying out an old Shakespeareelectruc tolling motor and figured worst case we could always float back to the launch. Between the two of us we have maybe 30 minutes of duck hunting experience. The plan was I would run the trolling motor up while he watched for birds and then he would paddle down while I watched for birds. Going up we jumped 3 and had 8 more pass by in range of which he hit 0. Coming back down there we're 2 that passed by just out of ranges and wound up jumping a mallard that I wound up bringing home. The kids were excited. Gonna head down next time heard much more shooting in that direction. Curious, roughly how far does everyone go? Not looking for exact spots just a rough estimate. Found out i am not headed out of town for work tomorrow so I might be headed out for ducks again Monday morning.

Rabbit slough goes for a while both ways. Google maps sat view helps find some of those holes! I for one hunted in a canoe there (with a buddy) and paddled the entire way up stream in the dark and it wasn't that bad. How did the trolling motor work?

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    Rabbit slough goes for a while both ways. Google maps sat view helps find some of those holes! I for one hunted in a canoe there (with a buddy) and paddled the entire way up stream in the dark and it wasn't that bad. How did the trolling motor work?
    Trolling motor did good as long as I stayed out of the weeds. We went up as far as we could to still have room to turn around since my square stern doesn't do reverse that well.

Crappy pic with me and my first duck

Yeh Buddy!!! Woot woot!!

Posted from the field.

Went back out to rabbit slough again this time went down instead of up. I didn't get any I paddled down so my buddy could have first crack since he hadn't gotten a duck before. He wound up getting a mallard a gadwall and a gwt on the way back up we jumped a couple but they were out of range. Really need to see about getting a gas motor the Shakespeare wondertroll got us back but it took forever.

My advice would be to get on the interweb or the google and look for ponds to set up a few decoys in. The google earth will give you Lats and longs you can put into your gps
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Make sure all forward motion caused by the motor has ceased before firing. Paddle power and shooting is ok. Motoring and shooting will lead to a big fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast