Thread: Who has tried growing hops for beer?

Default Who has tried growing hops for beer?

I live in Juneau and am looking for some advice on growing hops for beer making. Who has tried it, what are the limitations, stories of success and failures?

I am thinking about using a greenhouse. I have seven acres and thinking about adding to my garden.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas/experiences,

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I live in Juneau and am looking for some advice on growing hops for beer making. Who has tried it, what are the limitations, stories of success and failures?

I am thinking about using a greenhouse. I have seven acres and thinking about adding to my garden.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas/experiences,

Sobie2
    I'm in Skagway, and had hops growing outdoors for quite a few years. Only 1 year did they actually make harvestable hops.

From all I've read, it would be very hard to successfully and consistently grow hops in AK. And when you consider that it only costs about $4 to buy the hops you need for a 5-gallon batch of beer, one has to ask, why go through all the hassle of trying?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

FlyTaiya (Inlet) -

How tall did your's get? Have you ever tried bringing them indoors? Did you try starting them inside and later move them outside? What was a harvestable amount you did get? Are we talking 1 plant or...?

Sobie2

My good friend down the street grew some hop plants this year but no flowers. As I am learning, it is the shortening of the photoperiod that causes the plant to begin to flower. I am going to take his plants inside and expose them to a regime of grow lights and change thinges up on them to see what happens.

Maybe they can be grown indoors.

Sobie2

Sobie2, my plants grew outside, and they climbed up a couple of small cottonwoods and then covered the back of a shed. I only had maybe 3 or 4 plants; they survived winters just fine, and came back every year. The one year they made hops, I had enough to give to a homebrewer, and there was enough for a couple of batches of brew.

As you are finding out, hop plants grow fine up here, they just don't produce flowers. That gets triggered by shorter days but the problem is that up here, the days shorten too late and too fast for the flowers to develop before it's too cold. I've heard, but never tried, that you can cover portions of the plant mid summer with fabric that limits how much light gets at them to induce flowering.

Joat, sometimes it isn't about the cost, it's to see if you can do it.

I just saw this today in downtown Juneau sept 30th.

Sobie2

Ok I am having problems with uploading to this site from my iphone, so all I can say is that there are flowering hops occuring right now, outdoors in Juneau! The trellis is up against a concrete wall in a wind sheltered area that gets direct sunlight. It appears the owner will collect about a half a gallon of hops.

Sobie2