Thread: Sometimes a .44 Mag is enough.....

Default Sometimes a .44 Mag is enough.....

Just back from my fall hunt and wanted to share my latest brown bear. Not my biggest bear, right at 8 feet with a skull just under 25 inches, but I'm pleased enough to have taken him with the handgun at a bit less than 35 feet.

Bear & Pistol.jpg
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Nice job! Have you written up the story? Any more pics? Looks like a 4" Redhawk? What load, where did you hit him, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Just back from my fall hunt and wanted to share my latest brown bear. Not my biggest bear, right at 8 feet with a skull just under 25 inches, but I'm pleased enough to have taken him with the handgun at a bit less than 35 feet.

Bear & Pistol.jpg
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Very nice indeed. Got to love getting close just you and them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Nice job! Have you written up the story? Any more pics? Looks like a 4" Redhawk? What load, where did you hit him, etc.
    I've got no written story for this one--maybe I'll get something together, but really there isn't a lot to tell.

That's the best pic I have, but I've a couple hunting partners that may have done a little better so perhaps a few more pics in the coming days. Just had the skull and hide sealed; F&G measured the skull at 24 8/16 and I'm fairly confident he's going to age somewhere around 7-8 years old. He's not much more than a fair-to-middlin bear, but considering the various conditions of the shot I like him a lot.

As for the shooting iron, it's a 4 inch SS Redhawk that a gunsmith in NC tuned the trigger/action and then a few years ago I had WWG slab the barrel and bead blast the finish. I've played with other grips, but keep coming back tot he original Hogue that came with the revolver. I currently have a One Hole Sight rear with the factory front and have found that it works pretty well for me. I've used a couple of loads in the past for bigger animals, but I've kinda settled on a 310 grain FNGC by Oregon Trail pushed by enough H110 to get 1150 fps or thereabouts from my Redhawk. First shot hit his onside shoulder and he crumpled. Knowing almost instantly that I spined him, I shot him a "few" more times to help ease his passing and speeding it along..........He never moved after collapsing from the first shot.

Here is a pic of two bullets I recovered. The one on the right is from the first shot and was recovered in the hide of the offside shoulder. Was sort of surprised he held on to it, but can't complain about what it did. There were a few more pass throughs as well so on the whole I'm very satisfied with the Oregon Trail bullet and won't change a thing for future hunts. FWIW, I've shot more than a couple of brown bears and helped hunting partners shoot a few more and would estimate his weight somewhere shy of 600 pounds, but not much shy--he was ready for the coming winter.

Recovered Bullets.jpg

That bullet did fine work punching through all the bone. Do you the one hole sight with the big or small hole?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    That bullet did fine work punching through all the bone. Do you the one hole sight with the big or small hole?
    I've used them both, but settled on the larger aperture for my purposes. I can shoot as well with it (the larger aperture) at 30 yards and under and it is a very fast sight for me. Some guys hate'em, some guys love'em. I don't market it, but it works for me.

I ordered a set a couple years ago and the owner had just went into the hospital,had a hard go of it. They returned my money and said they were not sure if the business would start up again. Looks like it did and I'll try to get a set again.

Nice job. Congrats.
    Steve

Are you from NC, if so what part? Nice bear.

That's a very nice bear. Congrats! I am also impressed by your nerves to handle such a big bear at this close range.

Question: Is the Oregon Trail bullet a hard cast bullet that you used? That first shot seem to have passed through with hardly any distortion.

I own the exact same gun as you with no modifications to it. It's a pretty accurate and comfortable gun to shoot even with full load 44 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    That's a very nice bear. Congrats! I am also impressed by your nerves to handle such a big bear at this close range.

Question: Is the Oregon Trail bullet a hard cast bullet that you used? That first shot seem to have passed through with hardly any distortion.

I own the exact same gun as you with no modifications to it. It's a pretty accurate and comfortable gun to shoot even with full load 44 Mag.
    Thanks for the kind words. The first bullet is actually the bullet on the right in the photo and while it is distorted a bit, it also passed through two shoulder blades and the bear's spine. Can't complain about that kind of penetration. The Oregon Trail bullets are marketed as hard cast though I have not tested them for their Brinell hardness. I'm satisfied that they are "satisfactorily" hard for my purposes.......

Nice job on that brown bear!

Looks like you have some interesting reading going on out there?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    So just to make sure I understand....you INTENTIONALLY got within 35 ft of a brown bear with only a handgun????

Does your house have padded walls? =)

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    So just to make sure I understand....you INTENTIONALLY got within 35 ft of a brown bear with only a handgun????

Does your house have padded walls? =)
    They're not padded yet, but if I keep this pace going I may well have them covered with brown bear hides..........

Very nicely done. I don't think any padded walls are in order. Just a man that has practiced a whole lot and knows what he and his equipment are capable of. Any Brown bear with a handgun is a serious trophy!

Thanks for sharing!

With the new 44mag threads figured I'd bring this back up.