Thread: Getting Ready !

Default Getting Ready !

Well, we are about 8 weeks away from trapping opener here in IL, temps dropped from upper 90's yesterday, to high's in the low 70's today! Starting to feel more like fall is approaching...Clipped and dried 2 large bags of mowed grass for some flat sets! Check!Went out and scooped up 20 - 5 gal buckets of dry dirt from groundhog mounds for waxing! Fired up the cooker and added approx. 1 cup of flaked wax per gallon of dry dirt![IMG]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/rmoss55/Sept13th107.jpg[/IMG]Mixed it in until dirt takes on a "damp" look. Then dumped it into a wheel barrow to cool and dry some more. If you wax your dirt be careful to let it cool before storing in buckets or tubs or it will form a pretty nasty clump you will have to break up again before using... This all will go into tubs this weekend and be sealed as I have stirred it some all week... Got 3 doz MB650's and MB550s all dyed and waxed and ready to plant!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Ooops, missed a pic!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Neat pictures, reminds me I need to go get some buckets of sand filled, its been snowing up in the hills already...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Neat pictures, reminds me I need to go get some buckets of sand filled, its been snowing up in the hills already...
    Thx limon32, I will try to add to this as I go thru the season! When does your season open up there?

Trapping opens up on the 10th for most things, not until Jan 1 for cats. I'm trying to teach myself, i'd really like to trap a few coyotes and maybe even a wolf this year. I've got a friend that is going to let me run his line with him this winter so i'm hoping to get things figured out soon!

Limon, even though I am sure Alaska's trapping conditions would suggest some set modifications vs what I have to deal with, there are some pretty common overlaps.. Coyotes run "routes" much larger than say fox, and each family unit will have territories they control. The ideal spot to catch multiple animals is where two or three of these family units overlap and share a hunting area. One way to help ID these area's is regular tracks - almost daily, and scat, as it is used a lot by several coyotes. Generally a coyote will run a certain trail maybe every 3 to 5 days and thus leave tracks much less regularly. They are not like fox that will tolerate a trapper that likes to "tinker" with a set often, rule for coyotes is leave it be unless weather dictates you need to remake it. Also a single set will often work well for fox but most successful coyotes trappers will put in 2 or three - maybe even more, sets in a prime location. Combos of dirt holes, urine posts, and flat sets work well. I also like "hay" sets which are particularly good on frozen and snow covered soils. Having multiple lures is also a must, especially if you miss one at a set - they are very smart and figure things out quickly. That's one of the great challenges that make them fun to match wits with. A good DVD put out by Mark June is a helpful insight on coyotes and well done...

Smokey I also use the MB 650's and MB 550's for land trapping as well as the MB 750's for beaver. I seem to have a better catch rate with the 550's than the 650's. Do you see much of a difference where you trap? All are fine traps but the 550's bring in more fur for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Smokey I also use the MB 650's and MB 550's for land trapping as well as the MB 750's for beaver. I seem to have a better catch rate with the 550's than the 650's. Do you see much of a difference where you trap? All are fine traps but the 550's bring in more fur for me.
    I will be using the 550's this year for the first time sir. I know several "pros" that swear by the 550. I don't think you can find a better or easier trap to bed than the 650, but they are physically tougher to set and add weight that someone packing them around probably would not enjoy. I got away from trapping for several years and just started playing around again the last couple. I have too many hobbies for sure! The 650 probably has a slight edge if it has to power through tough conditions like straw or crusted soil? Both are made very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Limon, even though I am sure Alaska's trapping conditions would suggest some set modifications vs what I have to deal with, there are some pretty common overlaps.. Coyotes run "routes" much larger than say fox, and each family unit will have territories they control. The ideal spot to catch multiple animals is where two or three of these family units overlap and share a hunting area. One way to help ID these area's is regular tracks - almost daily, and scat, as it is used a lot by several coyotes. Generally a coyote will run a certain trail maybe every 3 to 5 days and thus leave tracks much less regularly. They are not like fox that will tolerate a trapper that likes to "tinker" with a set often, rule for coyotes is leave it be unless weather dictates you need to remake it. Also a single set will often work well for fox but most successful coyotes trappers will put in 2 or three - maybe even more, sets in a prime location. Combos of dirt holes, urine posts, and flat sets work well. I also like "hay" sets which are particularly good on frozen and snow covered soils. Having multiple lures is also a must, especially if you miss one at a set - they are very smart and figure things out quickly. That's one of the great challenges that make them fun to match wits with. A good DVD put out by Mark June is a helpful insight on coyotes and well done...
    Thanks for the info, i'll have to get my hands on that DVD soon! I've got several dozen snares now and about a dozen 120 connibears that I hope to trap some weasels and muskrats with too. I'm going to add some foot holds this year for some post sets because my dogs and the coyotes have taken turns peeing on things in the area I want to work for several years now. I'm going to collect up some of my dogs urine and try that. Like you, I tend to have more hobbies than time anymore!