Thread: Gary King Rod

Default Gary King Rod

A casual acquaintance overheard me mention that I was looking for an 8-wt for silvers and steelies, so he offered me a "virtually unused" Gary King Alaska Series, 9', 2 pc, 8/9-wt for 65 US Dollars. I looked online, but couldn't find anything authoritative. Hoping someone here knows whether this would be a rod that I actually could fly-fish with, or if it's pretty-much a broomstick that's just good for lining reds out of the Upper? Appreciate it. Mike

Looks like this thread from a few years ago dealt with this same question:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ystery-Fly-Rod

There was apparently a Gary King Sportshop on Northern Lights years ago, which may have had a company like Lamiglas make a custom rod for them. It's probably in the cheaper quality range, so it may not be quite what you're looking for. Check out Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River, they have a bunch of Ross fly rods from last year on clearance and I'm pretty sure there are some 8wts in there.

[QUOTE=Seabass417;1325652]Looks like this thread from a few years ago dealt with this same question:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ystery-Fly-Rod

There was apparently a Gary King Sportshop on Northern Lights years ago, which may have had a company like Lamiglas make a custom rod for them. It's probably in the cheaper quality range, so it may not be quite what you're looking for. Check out Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River, they have a bunch of Ross fly rods from last year on clearance and I'm pretty sure there are some 8wts in there/QUOTE] Thank you. I've purchased a few items from Boondock and always been satisfied. Reckon I'll see what they have in the way of 8wts on sale. Mike

I have one, its a decent rod. $65- is a great price, would not hesitate to buy it.
    I have hauled in many kings over the years with it. Mine is mated up with a Ross Canyon reel.
    BK

Yes there was a sporting goods store called Gary King's on Northern lights, it was in the building behind what is now the Barnes and Noble book store. They had a little bit of everything in there, but at the time I was pretty young……..like 10 I think and don't remember everything as I was always pre-occupied with their hockey gear. More it may or may not be worth your while, as I recall they did have some good stuff.

We had a Gary Kings in Kenai as well. Used to sell some pretty quality gear, even if it was a bit over priced......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well, I bought the Gary King. Workmanship looks good; feels good, too (though I haven't cast it, yet). And, I couldn't pass on the deal. Plan to get in some "lawn casting" after work this week, then give it a test drive on the Anchor, in a couple of weeks. He also offered me a M. Handy 4-pc 6-wt that still had the plastic sleeve on the cork. Said he was just getting rid of excess gear. (Hmmm..."excess" fly fishing gear -- interesting concept.) He wanted $75 for it, and it turns-out that I couldn't pass on that deal, either. The M. Handy looks really good -- hoping to give it a workout in the Valley, this weekend. It was made in Anchorage, but from the Net, it looks like he's out of business. Too bad.

well I have had a lot of Gary King rods , [ I am OLD ] if it had G King name on it the rod it is a good rod ,
    for the price you quoted it is a steal I think can't go wrong for the price ,
    my 2 CTS. SID

I just had to drive down to the KP and test the Gary King, this weekend. Took my Echo 8-wt for comparison. The GK balances nicely with my Pflueger Trion lined with WF8F. And it provides a smooth, powerful cast. Yes, it's heavier to hand than my Echo (which is a cannon in its own right), but it does have more backbone and gives me longer, controlled throws. It mends quite well and -- though I didn't throw any dries -- it feels like I should be able to get a nice presentation with it. So, I'm very impressed, and I want to thank everyone for giving me your recommendations. Mike

"There was apparently...".
    Gary Kings was classic Alaska. Apparently you missed it, now we mostly have box stores. That rod is kind of a classic too, so treat it with care.

Probably a good buy for $65 but be careful with it if you want it to last awhile. I found them to be very fragile and quit buying them for that reason back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Probably a good buy for $65 but be careful with it if you want it to last awhile. I found them to be very fragile and quit buying them for that reason back in the day.
    Thanks for the info. I will take care -- not gonna mistake it for an Ugly Stik, that's for sure!
    The fisherman: "He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him."

Interesting follow-on:

Early this week, I ran into an older gentleman who was selling some rod-making equipment, including graphite blanks. He told me that he'd made custom rods, part-time, for more than 40 years, and he was now turning to bamboo as his material of choice. I asked him if he knew about Gary King rods. When he told me that he still had one or two, I asked him who made them, back in the day. He told me that Gary King had several individual rod makers, in Alaska, who made rods for him. He provided the blanks (and, maybe, cork and hardware, but those weren't mentioned) and the individual builders produced whatever rods that GK contracted with them. He also told me that, in the late 70s - '80s, a few builders were allowed to sign their rods -- so you might see an "Alaska Series - Gary King... by 'Rodney Builder'", or whomever. He mentioned that there'd been a couple of occasions where friends of his needed help in meeting the ship dates on their contracts, so they got him to build a few rods for them. But, he implied that the guys who were making the rods were all pretty good at it -- especially the ones who were allowed to sign.

So, it seems like a GK rod that you might find could have been made by any of a number of different builders -- but they all would be "local." Also, any GK that hasn't been abused is likely to be a pretty good stick.

Hope this helps fill-in some local history.
    The fisherman: "He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG IN AK View Post
    Hope this helps fill-in some local history.
    Always worthwhile. Thanks for your effort and report.

And enjoy that rod!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    "There was apparently...".
    Gary Kings was classic Alaska. Apparently you missed it, now we mostly have box stores. That rod is kind of a classic too, so treat it with care.
    Was definitely a classic and a fixture in any outdoorsman's life years ago. I worked for Gary Kings for a few years, they had stores in Anchorage, Kenai, Wasilla & briefly in Girdwood. Besides REI, & MT. View Sports they were the only place in town for the outdoor enthusiast. The large box stores played a large roll in the closing of these stores. The incoming Bass Pro & Cabelas will no doubt take more business away from the local Mom & Pops sporting goods stores. Many of the Gary King signature series items were high quality so don't think for the price you could go wrong with this rod.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

the heft of the rod ???, don't for get this rod is 20 plus years old an the blanks were different back then , the blanks are much lighter now ,
    if it has the GK name on the rod it was an excelent rod then , still a good rod by today's stndard , just a little heavy compaired to the
    highend rod's of today, but srill a great rod SID

Gary King sold good stuff when I lived there