Thread: Outboard on driftboat?

Default Outboard on driftboat?

Hello I have an 18 x 60 driftboat. I would like to put an outboard on it. I will use it mostly on the middle Kenai and I would like to be able to go up river. It doesn't have to go fast just up river. Weight and price are my concerns. Bob

look at the 10 / 15 HP they will do what you want , make it a 4 cycle the river regs. if it is not a long shaft you can get an extenation for most of the BRANDS out there , this fall you should be able to pick up a discounted modle / last years at a fair price , check West Marine there price is the same as there book as well as SPORTMan's wearhouse , all of the engs to day work well . just make sure the dealer is close to where you live
    [ with in 15 miles] SID

Remember on the Kenai on drift boat Mondays and anyday on the Kasilof outboards 10 hp or less may be used to exit these fisheries.
    If you go bigger then you can't use it in those situations.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

check the limitations on your drift boat, the tag with weight and person capacity often has the HP limitation listed.

I run a 10hp on my 16' Fishrite, I highly recommend using a Doel-Fin on the anti-cav plate. Powered drift boats really bury the stern under power and the Doel-Fin really helps. Remember this is a boat that is designed to go backwards. So under power pushing the boat forward is like pushing water up hill.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Remember on the Kenai on drift boat Mondays and anyday on the Kasilof outboards 10 hp or less may be used to exit these fisheries.
    If you go bigger then you can't use it in those situations.
    Driftboat only Mondays on the Kenai are only in regulation in may, June, and July. Same with the Kasilof motor restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentbranch View Post
    Driftboat only Mondays on the Kenai are only in regulation in may, June, and July. Same with the Kasilof motor restrictions.
    This is only an issue if you are going to be fishing from said boat. Other wise you are free to run the river as long as you don't fish out of it.

Just between you me and the fence post you can get away with a little smaller than a 10 HPS. Fishing Bud has a nice set up 18ft use a 4 stroke Honda 8 HP does a great job for its intended purpose which is to cross Skilak. Not saying something bigger is not better just that it is not a requirement. It does not push the boat hard enough under load to cause other issues. I guess the bottom line for me is that it is set up nice works well for the purpose at hand and we have never had any issues one way or the other with it set up that way.

The biggest concern is price with the Honda. You could get with Tracy at Marita and check out the Mercs, Sus, and Tah. They do have some more affordable price options. In the lower 48 Cabelas carries a Coleman 5 HP and 9.9 HP motor which are very inexpensive you may wait for the store in Anch to carry them.

Best of luck in your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    In the lower 48 Cabelas carries a Coleman 5 HP and 9.9 HP motor which are very inexpensive you may wait for the store in Anch to carry them.

Best of luck in your choices.
    Sportsmans carries them as well. I have heard bad things about them. But then again that person could have just had the misfortune of getting a crappy motor out of the bunch. You might also look for a used 4 stroke from the shops……..or on-line.

Default Outboard on driftboat?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    This is only an issue if you are going to be fishing from said boat. Other wise you are free to run the river as long as you don't fish out of it.
    Not true. You can fish out of said boat beginning August 1st. Read those regs again and carefully. Page 41 ADF&G Sportfish Regs

The reason I mention the HP restrictions is because the OP may eventually want to use the same motor during king season.
    If he puts a bigger motor on it he might be legal now but come next July he might be SOL.
    Personally I like to look at my future wants/needs when making an expensive purchase.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Bentbranch View Post
    Not true. You can fish out of said boat beginning August 1st. Read those regs again and carefully. Page 41 ADF&G Sportfish Regs
    yeah no kidding, we were talking about May through July on the Kenai and Kasilof, but people don't know this…..(about the motor regs).