Thread: .300 HH shooting just fine!

Default .300 HH shooting just fine!

Fellas, I have yearned for a .300 HH for quite some time now. Picked up a pre-64 some yrs. back in the 300HH AI chambering but "not" the same nostalgic feel I was looking for. I acquired a Remmy Model 721 26" bbl with a Fajen stock and a plastic Bishop butt plate. no sights but not a problem. I began to quickly put this rifle together with what I had on hand. Had a set of cross slot scope bases already on the rifle so I dug around for a set of UTG quick release rings and grabbed a B&L Elite 4200 that was not "doing" anything and mounted it. Found a dovetail fold down rear sight I put on and a 1/16 brass beaded low front blade...now equipped with "back ups".
    Had a few hundred rounds of Remmy so I started resizing new and trimming, Noslers stated a load of 67 grns of H4831sc with a 200 grn Partition as accurate so I did that with Fed 215's and OAL of 3.6"
    I did bed the recoil lug and in front abit with marine tex gray and used carnuba wax as my release agent.
    Today I had the chance real quick as the rain stopped, to range 100 yds and quickly noted how this Remington likes to shoot. Consistently! Although I noted a spread to the left as the barrel heated up....still shooting tight but to the left and up bout 2 more inches. I figure I needed to check for clearance in the barrel channel....could not get a dollar bill thru it so I cleaned it up and will shoot again tomorrow weather permitting. But hey, my joy is real! ha, never owned a long sloping shouldered brass rifle before.

The 300 H&H is a fine cartridge for sure. With 220gr corlotks it will do wonders
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    Fellas, I have yearned for a .300 HH for quite some time now. Picked up a pre-64 some yrs. back in the 300HH AI chambering but "not" the same nostalgic feel I was looking for. I acquired a Remmy Model 721 26" bbl with a Fajen stock and a plastic Bishop butt plate. no sights but not a problem. I began to quickly put this rifle together with what I had on hand. Had a set of cross slot scope bases already on the rifle so I dug around for a set of UTG quick release rings and grabbed a B&L Elite 4200 that was not "doing" anything and mounted it. Found a dovetail fold down rear sight I put on and a 1/16 brass beaded low front blade...now equipped with "back ups".
    Had a few hundred rounds of Remmy so I started resizing new and trimming, Noslers stated a load of 67 grns of H4831sc with a 200 grn Partition as accurate so I did that with Fed 215's and OAL of 3.6"
    I did bed the recoil lug and in front abit with marine tex gray and used carnuba wax as my release agent.
    Today I had the chance real quick as the rain stopped, to range 100 yds and quickly noted how this Remington likes to shoot. Consistently! Although I noted a spread to the left as the barrel heated up....still shooting tight but to the left and up bout 2 more inches. I figure I needed to check for clearance in the barrel channel....could not get a dollar bill thru it so I cleaned it up and will shoot again tomorrow weather permitting. But hey, my joy is real! ha, never owned a long sloping shouldered brass rifle before.
    After you clean the barrel channel for more clearance try this; while shooting off the bags, using only the thumb and index finger, squeeze the trigger. If there is any steadying to be done use the off hand just in front of the bag at the butt. This so as not to place any pressure that could interact with the rifle. I found with my .375 W there is a spot that was touching the barrel and causing groups to open quite a bit.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...