Thread: Conduit

Default Conduit

I'm looking for conduit that's bigger then 10ft in length.
    Anyone know where I can find 15ft or 20ft ?
    Thanks!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I don't think they make it that long. Have you consider having someone weld two stick together?

Default 20 foot conduit in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I'm looking for conduit that's bigger then 10ft in length.
    Anyone know where I can find 15ft or 20ft ?
    Thanks!!!!
    About 4 or 5 years ago I was looking at a repair situation where I needed to replace a 20 foot piece of conduit that had broken. Asking around showed a few big players in the electrical supply biz in Anchorage. I called and/or visited them all.

Eventually I found a guy that remembered when a guy some years earlier had an application where he needed to span the space between two buildings (a whole bunch of times; not once) and 20 foot conduit without a joint was seen as the only way. He special ordered a very large quantity of 20 footers that did later arrive here via barge. I was told that my broken 20 foot conduit was certainly a leftover from this one of a kind batch that hit Alaska just once in recent history (then).

Unless something has changed drastically, I do not think you'll ever seen a new piece of 20 foot conduit in Alaska. Sorry for the less than great news.

I have no knowledge about less than 20 foot conduit.

Must it be 'conduit'? I presume you are looking for a 'pole' for a flying decoy? My bro built hang gliders and certainly had ample long tubes of aluminum. Perhaps a long fiber rod like is used in the decorative 'feathers' that often fly outside many businesses could be used?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I know you can get stainless or aluminum tubing in 20' lengths, As far as galavanized conduit probably a special order situation unless you really want to weld it together.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Joining multiple lengths of conduit is very easy, they sell everything you need at Home Depot.

If rigidity is not what you're after, they sell flexible conduit (looks like a vacuum hose) in whatever length you want.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just like the guy above siad, everything is available at Lowes or Home Depot. Personally, I would thread 2 10ft pieces with a NPT die, and use a pipe coupler to join them together. I think that would be the sturdiest option.

well I am an electrician and in no case not these days can you get a 20 ft stick of conduit unless it is ocal which is rubber coated rigid. but if weight is not an issue two pieces of rigid conduit would be great they come prethreaded and have a coupling on one end. you can use imc which has a thinner wall diameter and the threads will be prone to splitting and for emt I wouldn't mess with it unless strength of any kind is not needed as you can only get set screw or compression couplings though the water tight compression couplings do hold very well. I may have a few pieces of the rubber coated 20ft pieces from an old job that I probly can get my hands on if there still around and might work for you. I do think it is 1in diameter at a minimum.

What I'm might do as mentioned above is add a wooden dowel inside the conduit where two pieces connect.
    I would post pictures but don't know how to from my iPhone.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK