Thread: Ak Fishing News: Troublemaking Russian River Bears to be Color Marked for ID

Arrow Ak Fishing News: Troublemaking Russian River Bears to be Color Marked for ID

This news clip is from Alaska Fishing News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

State and federal agencies have agreed on a plan to color mark troublemaking bears that frequent the Russian River area, according to the Anchorage Daily News.

The plan is to chemically immobilize bears and dye their coats with bright color markings to allow managers and anglers to be able to identify specific bears. The point is to find out which bears cause trouble and which stay away from people.

The agencies are also promoting the "stop, chop and throw" to prevent bears from being habituated to finding easy to obtain food where anglers gut their fish.

Read the individual article on Alaska Fishing News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to
    webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

A better idea is to use hazing rounds on any grizz that gets near the river, and using them on any idiot who gets near a bear.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Oh Great, piss of the Bears before I get there.

Anybody know if there is going to be a website to track the info. Would be nice to know when we jump out of the plane on the Upper Russian to start our walk to know to watch out for the Purple Bear.

Another idea is to make a photo. Bears look different like people.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    A better idea is to use hazing rounds on any grizz that gets near the river.
    The orphaned cubs from 2 summers ago have been hazed repeatedly down there, and it's had no effect, they simply keep returning. I think this "tie dye" idea is laughable, I'd rather see the funds spent on education of the folks who fish there that have NO clue how to conduct themselves in bear country. Unattended backpacks/coolers with food, throwing fish AT the bears to either dissuade them (HA!) or in some cases get 'em in closer for a picture are all things that have gone on down there and need to be addressed. Folks who repeatedly don't observe the proper conduct should have their fishing licenses revoked for the season, and/or (in the case of tourists on a 1 day license) some fines with teeth to 'em.

Of course the fact that there are now generations of Brown/Grizz down there that have never been hunted due too ADF&G's flawed counts and DLP policies (funding is an issue I realize, but c'mon now), they've never seen Man as any threat at all, and instead see us as a food cart.

And AKPM, this comment about "Hazing every grizz that gets near the river" is, well....Stupid. Salmon is a prime food source the bears NEED to fatten up and survive the winter, running ALL bears off the river is ridiculous and unsound management. The bears have as much right, if not more, to that river than either you, I, or the dip-netters that will be plodding up to the falls to pursue their "traditional" lifestyle of scooping up fish from an area historically NOT used for such practices.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

2Paws, purple bears, like pink elephants, are safe and should be approached in a devil-may-care attitude.... possibly a little skip in your step.

JUST KIDDING.

Hippie, I think I agree with you on this one. Bad game management has created a bear that views man as a lunch box.

Hazing does not work on animals accustomed to it. A trip to the dump in Juneau will prove that with the eagles.

I mentioned in a post somewhere that I knew a guy who killed a griz with birdshot...... The situation arose when the "hazed" bear decided to run at it's hazer rather than away.

I always enjoyed seeing bears on the Upper Russian and never had any problems with them.

Default Hypothetical

Wife: Hey hun, where you going?
    Husband: I'm taking the kids to see some clowns this weekend.
    Wife: Clowns? I didn't know they were in town...
    Husband: Oh, they're not, but fish and game turned some bears into clowns on the Russian.
    Wife: Oh wow, do they make balloon animals?

Default Posted this on another thread already....

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."