Thread: Fly rod repair

Default Fly rod repair

I have an old bamboo fly rod that is missing the female ferrule. It was given to me by a friend that has since passed away and i would like to get it fixed. I do not know what size it is but it looks to be about a 4wt.(All distinct markings and lettering has worn off) Does anyone know of someone who builds/fixes rods on the kenai penn?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Bamboo repair/value . . .

Your rod could be of significant value depending on the maker, though most old bamboo rods floating around today are not. If there's any doubt in your mind or for a top-notch repair, contact this fellow:

R.W. Summers . . I know Bob personally . . highly recommended . .

Attachment 73784

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    I have an old bamboo fly rod that is missing the female ferrule. It was given to me by a friend that has since passed away and i would like to get it fixed. I do not know what size it is but it looks to be about a 4wt.(All distinct markings and lettering has worn off) Does anyone know of someone who builds/fixes rods on the kenai penn?
    Thanks
    He's in Anchorage, but Chris Carlin from Far North Rodsmith is the best bamboo rod maker in the state.

http://www.carlinbamboo.com/

Home/Office Phone: (907) 258-3457
    Cell Phone: (907) 242-2024
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thank you gentlemen! I don't know about the value of the rod but I am not the type to hang it on the wall, I want to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    ...but I am not the type to hang it on the wall, I want to use it!
    While you're at it, have him check it carefully for other issues such as delams. It would be a real shame to replace the ferrule, then have the rod explode the first time you use it. I have my granddad's prize bamboo he bought back in the 1920's. It's a real "high end" rod, but due to age and life, it simply can't be used again. It looks perfect, but a knowledgeable "cane smith" looked it over and urged me in the strongest terms not to use it.

will do brownbear. Thanks.