Thread: Grayling in Hatcher Pass . . . ?

Default Grayling in Hatcher Pass . . . ?

Do any of you guys know whether there are grayling in the headwaters of Willow Creek . . up in Hatcher Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Do any of you guys know whether there are grayling in the headwaters of Willow Creek . . up in Hatcher Pass?
    Only fished it once or twice, but caught nothing. I believe it's without grayling. Still, it is well within their range . . . . .

There is bu not sure how far up they go. There are also dollies up there too but not sure if the flood last year pushed them down stream.

As Graling travel the water system if they can, I will say that there is or has been in passed years , I have caught them in the lower part of the water drange [below the Bridge on the Parks HWY ] . so if there is no water fall stopping them it could be
    SID

Sheep Creek slough would be a surer bet. About another half hour ride north.

Question

Here's a photo from today . . some miles along the dirt road after the pavement ended . . .

Attachment 73805

. . no bites . . but lots of fun . .

. . a moose hunter told us that grayling didn't get that far upstream . .

. . who knows . .

If they are up there your more likely to find them in beaver ponds off the stream.... More feed for them IMO. I have looked at the bridge by the mine and wondered but you know there jus doesn't seem to be much fishy water around that stretch...... It also gets blown out every year you can tell by the brush line where it's been washed out over n over.... But it makes sense that on good water years, some fish may meander up that far.... Best bet, ask miners who stay there all summer.....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Here's a photo from today . . some miles along the dirt road after the pavement ended . . .

Attachment 73805

. . no bites . . but lots of fun . .

. . a moose hunter told us that grayling didn't get that far upstream . .

. . who knows . .
    Shame on you Marcus……….you didn't even stop by to say hi! I am sure there is fish in there at some point most summers,probably not this time of year though? I have found in the Park streams this time of year fish are way spread out, some days you will find them all above the hwy and others all below it.

the beaver ponds are a sure bet at least they were about 10 years ago. there was plenty to be caught and some were decent size

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Sheep Creek slough would be a surer bet. About another half hour ride north.
    Tried Sheep Cr slough and the confluence of the Big-Su and Willow Cr last weekend and ZERO. I was trying to get my younger kids onto a few of the grayling like in past years and there was zero fish to be had which really surprised me. Beads, flies, nymps, tiny dick nite spoons...I only saw one decent fish surface in about 4 hours fishing the two locations. Water levels were higher than normal but still very fishable in terms of clarity and flow. Friends have had some success further upstream. Maybe they are still upstream behind the salmon.