Thread: Late Season halibut

Default Late Season halibut

Anybody have any input on Halibut this time of year? I was looking at one more trip after these seas calm a bit out of Whittier, next week most likely. I just don't want to put the new boat up for the winter yet. Still planning on a few deer trips and ski trips in the spring and whatever other excuse I can come up with to get out there.

I posted a few weeks back asking about silvers and it was a great trip. not much fish or shrimp to speak of but sea lions, whales, porpoise, seals, otters, eagles, and blue bird skies and flat calm water made a good time on the water.

Can't speak for Whittier area, but yoday on a Ketchikan lodge web cam, the fish cleaner had several limits of butts in the 40-60# range to cut up. Caught at 5-7pm AK time this afternoon. Soooooo, not too late to drop a line IMO. Keep a sharp weather eye. I will be there tomorrow evening for a week of coho and whatever else is biting .....yee haaa!

I have some of my best catches this time of year out of Whittier. Not uncommon to have 75 plus pounders or multiple nice fish this time of year. Too soon to quit.

Starting about now I expect them to be moving deeper in our area, plus scattering. Don't see the big bait balls to key on either. While we do a lot of anchored fishing in summer, now we switch to drifting, focusing on good bottom and current. Bigger fish, but fewer fish further apart.

Thanks for the input. I start my week long trip tomorrow. Hope the weather holds. Looks pretty good in town today.

Went out of Homer yesterday. Weather was marginal at best, didn't find the fish. They seem to have either moved into deeper water or moved out all together. What is everyone else seeing in the Homer area? Tell me its not just me.

If the weather permits try around Flat Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    Went out of Homer yesterday. Weather was marginal at best, didn't find the fish. They seem to have either moved into deeper water or moved out all together. What is everyone else seeing in the Homer area? Tell me its not just me.
    We fished Homer 3 days last week and got three fish, 1 75 lb. I think the fish were there but the sharks and cod picked us clean as soon as it hit the bottom. We started tying our bait on with elastic thread which helped. Caught some big sharks and big Sculpin.

We caught limits of halibut out of Homer on Saturday. Nothing huge, but keepers. Took a couple of hours to get our limits. I've never done well in the Flat Island area this time of year.

I was in Homer for a trip on September 14th. 6 anglers on the boat and we caught our limit of halibut. Nothing huge...largest about 20 lbs...also caught a few skates, dogfish, and a large octopus on a jig.

great weather we had on saturday's outing.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I have heard both sides of the argument; that is halibut moving deeper in the fall and others stating they catch halibut in the shallows in the fall. So what has your experience been for late season halibut. Deep or Shallow? Or is all this none-sense and the halibut are just where ever you find them?

We just came back in, finding the halibut in 160', when they were at 140' a week ago. Interesting thing, all of us limited on 25-30# fish about 15' off bottom. Go to the bottom and it was all skates and dogfish.

Sign me up with the crowd that says they go deeper in the fall, and fast. Two weeks ago we were scoring in the same vicinity in 60-80'.

How did you decide to come up 15'? I have a small boat so we stayed in the bay, caught our fish in front of creek at 80' but really fought the junk fish everyday. Wish we had tried raising the bait!

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    How did you decide to come up 15'?
    Ha! Being lazy. We didn't really want to haul the anchor to try yet another spot, so decided to mooch for kings since I was seeing a little bait sign 15' up on the fathometer. Not a king to be had, but the halibut were sure up there. Gonna pay a lot closer attention to those bait layers a little off bottom!

I researched the "cod" we were catching in Kachemak bay and they are actually Alaska Pollock.

If there were pollack (or cod) in abundance, I'm not so sure getting off bottom would have helped. Might even have made it worse in the case of pollack. We happen to like pollack a lot and would have been happy to put some in the hold, but sooner or later we'd be as frustrated as you and looking to get out of them.

Just talked to a buddy, and he reported trolling 25' off bottom in 80' yesterday and catching a 20# halibut. Who really knows what's going on out there!

Some people I know picked a few up out of whittier yesterday. Decent sized fish close to one of the islands.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.