Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downrigger Question

Default Downrigger Question

As a lot of you are already aware I am in the early process of purchasing a boat to fish the south east salt water fishery. I am aware that most of the fishing is done via mooching within this region however I have noticed that a lot of boats are configured with at least 2 downrigger brackets in or around the rear or corner of the boat. Of course this appears to be the go-to setup as it would allow for some light trolling whilst prospecting (no doubt ill have to do a lot of that ). My question is to what would the optimum set up for the readers of this forum in relation to the same. Im aware that 2 downrigger brackets at the back corners would facilitate the use of 4 rods combined for light trolling . This would appear quite adequate for myself however I would appreciate the masses views as I have also seen that some boats have a further 2 bases welded on to allow for 4 downriggers. If someone had to rebuy their boat tomorrow , tell me what you would change on it after they have used their present set-up................................................

I would keep mine the same, 2 downriggers in the aft corners of the deck.
    They work double duty work as a quick release platform to mount your Ace line hauler for shrimp/crap pots.
    We rarely troll, thus 2 more mounts would be a waste of money in our circumstances.
    BK

I had 5 mounts on my charter boat, but if you are going to troll for salmon two mounts on each side is the way to go. You can fish different depths to locate fish. As you fish more you may just find that trolling works best for you. Power trollers in southeast do very well

Thanks BK. That's profound as I was going to expand the thread and enquire about the usage of the downrigger brackets for a possible pot puller. Can the ace line puller be attached to the downrigger bracket , or what is the best possible outcome for this process ? Im assuming the ace pot puller needs some sort of power to run it. Can this be provided via the electrical power used to power the downriggers ( im nearly certain that I will be using the electric scotty downriggers ). I was going to speak to the "potbuilder " at the point of fabrication about the best possible scenario for this as I was salivating at the chance to do some shrimping /crabbing...................................

a total of 2 downriggers, 1 in each aft corner works very well for my family. If I were chartering for salmon I'd probably want more to accomodate more clients. It can get quite hectic on the back decks when you pick up a double of hyper coho's...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73762
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Thanks BK. That's profound as I was going to expand the thread and enquire about the usage of the downrigger brackets for a possible pot puller. Can the ace line puller be attached to the downrigger bracket , or what is the best possible outcome for this process ? Im assuming the ace pot puller needs some sort of power to run it. Can this be provided via the electrical power used to power the downriggers ( im nearly certain that I will be using the electric scotty downriggers ). I was going to speak to the "potbuilder " at the point of fabrication about the best possible scenario for this as I was salivating at the chance to do some shrimping /crabbing...................................
    DSCF0516.jpg
    Micky,
    The mount works great just as you thought. It pivots easily, is secure and removable with one rod to hold it in place.
    The power outlet is the same as the downrigger. It's a very clean and easy to use set-up.
    BK

I used down riggers all the time in PWS and Seward. I can cover more ground than mooching and more kings down deeper. The boat has two back corner mounts. My only wish would be to have the mounts 10-12 inches forward to make it easier to work the gear. Not being to work both sides of the downrigger is fine but I would mount mine further forward. The boat came set up this way and I don't really want to scar up the boat with more holes.

Posted from the field.

MI as most of the guys on here will tell you comparing a ace puller to one of my electra dyne's is not a apples to apples comparason. I don't want to take away from the downrigger theme so i'll leave it at that.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks bkbaker. Im intrigued by your response though. When you say not being able to work both sides of the downrigger is fine, what are you in fact referring too? Does having them at the back corner in fact present limitations on their usage or is that a personnel opinion. Your response is exactly what I wanted to hear as I was curious about subjective opinions about the positioning of the same......Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I used down riggers all the time in PWS and Seward. I can cover more ground than mooching and more kings down deeper. The boat has two back corner mounts. My only wish would be to have the mounts 10-12 inches forward to make it easier to work the gear. Not being to work both sides of the downrigger is fine but I would mount mine further forward. The boat came set up this way and I don't really want to scar up the boat with more holes.

Posted from the field.
    I'm in the same boat...pun intended. I much prefer to have the downrigger half way between the stern and the cabin (which is how I have it now), so that there's plenty of room for the guy fighting the fish as well as room for the guy cranking the cannon ball up. On my boat it gets real crowded when everyone is at the back corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Thanks bkbaker. Im intrigued by your response though. When you say not being able to work both sides of the downrigger is fine, what are you in fact referring too? Does having them at the back corner in fact present limitations on their usage or is that a personnel opinion. Your response is exactly what I wanted to hear as I was curious about subjective opinions about the positioning of the same......Thanks
    Being able to reach around both sides of the downrigger is advantageous when retrieving or setting gear. It makes it easier. I wouldn't go very far forward so u have more room to land and fight fish. The more forward the mount the nicer to retrieve shrimp pots from also. It's hard to reach over the stern and around the pot puller. When u get a nice set of giant spot shrimp it can be heavy.

Posted from the field.

Nice shrimp BK! my Hewes Alaskan came with downrigger mounts welded about 2' forward of the stern corners, so I guess that meets the suggested configuration. I never used them, as I only fish for silvers and know where to find them mooching and anyway don't have or want downriggers. They are undeniably an effective fishing method, and I see their appeal to charters with a bunch of rookies aboard. But, for me and mine, we like mooching and having what for us is a more full fishing experience than, as we see it, simply winding the fish in after the boat catches it. Yes, we have fished boats with downriggers on them, that's where the "attitude" came from...

So, our downrigger mounts make a great place for a rod holder...and those scotty downrigger mounts work on their brand of rodholders as well.

To the OP - I wouldn't say that "Most" of the fishing in SE is Mooching which I guess I would define as trolling without a downrigger? I would say that the lions share at least around Juneau is a combination, I have downriggers on my 24' boat and on my 18' skiff, because there are 3 of us, I usually run both downriggers with one line each and 1 line off the back in a "mooching" configuration. If my wife comes along then we stack another line on a downrigger.

On my 24' the downriggers are midway between the house and the transom,they were there when I bought it and If I had to do it again they would be in the same spot. I can work on both sides, get to the kicker, out the transom door etc. We mounted them on the stern corners of our 18' Bayrunner and that sucks, you have to crawl or lean way back to get to them. Those will probably endup getting moved next summer.

What I find interesting about Alaska is having lived here most of my life the differences in lingo region to region. Here we troll for salmon, I've never heard it referred to as "mooching" at least not amongst my friends. Here Salmon are "King, Coho, Sockeye, Chum and Pink" when I go north to visit friends or read this board they are " Chinook, Silver, Red, Dog and Humpy" Just an observation...

My current boat doesn't have downriggers, but I may get some next spring. I had 2 on my last boat and wouldn't really want more. If you have 4, that's a lot of gear to stow somewhere on board when you're not using them. Plus, I often was fishing with people who weren't comfortable clearing the other lines when needed, so when a hookup happened, I'd be the only one pulling in the other gear. Trolling more than 2 lines was a real pain in the *****.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Ditto on placing the downrigger mounts mid way between transom and cabin for reasons mentioned. In addition it lets you fish a pink lady off the stern that would otherwise not be possible as the pink lady runs out a ways and would get tangled in the downrigger cable more than likely if fished forward of it. This is the way I fish up to four rods on my boat trolling. More than 4 rods and we're mooching.

2 downriggers. Mount them as far aft as you can, leaving room to work gear. Too far forward and it's a nightmare trying to turn. If ya ain't spinning in circles with downriggers, you ain't catching as many as you could.

I gotta agree with everyone that said mounting 18'' forward of the back of the boat. I don't like mine in the corners at all and is something I want to change but my bases are welded so it just hasn't happened yet. Talking about tight turns reminded me, if you have twin outboards or have a single outboard but troll with your kicker like I do, make sure to get downriggers with adjustable booms. One of mine is a shorter length but I run the other boom out a ways on the kicker side just to ensure a tight turn in a current the line won't meet the prop. Another trick is to use weights with the thin fins so you can bend them a little to swing the weight farther out from the boat, it all helps when you are turning tight for one reason or another.

I have 2 down riggers mounted near rear of boat. My hewescraft original came with mounts mid ship. I removed them because if I went halibut fishing down riggers would be in the way. I can't see the need for more than 2 down rigger. If you need to fish more than 2 rods. Use 2 rods mid ship from rod holder. Fish them with double deep sixes, also rods sure long 10'er. Or stack rods on down riggers. Down rigger fishing take little time to learn. I have only use electric ones cannon brand only with minor problems. Manitanance is required with electrics mainly with fight corrosion. corrosion x is the answer.

Thanks everyone , incidentally-n whats a double deep 6? Im quite sure its a diving lead or planer but where do I get them and in what sizes do they come in ?

Just seeing if I can start the thread up again...
    I purchased a 22' custom aluminum boat this last summer and I have some questions about Downriggers. The boat was built in Fairbanks so it has a Yukon river look to it with the fishing platform in the front and the enclosed cabin covering the stern. I have a mount for my pot puller towards the bow and on the starboard side. There is no room to fish inside the cabin so setting up the Downriggers on the rear is out of the question. I did ok mooching for silvers out of PWS this summer and I did great on rockfish and some butt. I was hoping to get in on some winter king fishing and participating in the Homer derby this year.

I suppose my question is what type of Downrigger would work the best with the longest reach or should I focus on improving my mooching technique for kings?

I don't have any pictures on the computer of the boat otherwise I would post pics to help with my description.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast