Thread: Navigating Minto Flats

Default Navigating Minto Flats

I have a buddy trying to talk me into going with him into Minto Flats in his canoe with a trolling motor for moose, put in would be Murphy Dome. I have never been there personally but I think he is crazy and definitely want to talk him out of trying it solo. My thoughts are; assuming it has enough gumption to make it upstream to Murphy Dome at all, were we to shoot something it would probably take 15 trips to get it out. Can anyone with experience give some input?

The put in is 11 miles down a rough road from the parking at M Dome. From the put in to a mile or so down the Chatanika, it is often shallow. May be difficult to drive down and more difficult to get back up. I don't know what the current is like in the Chatanika in that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Except for the first part after the put in, the river is pretty deep and really slow. And it winds a lot. It took me about 6 hours to go 6 miles as the crow flies. I was in a canoe with a 4 horse doin about 4 mph or so. Slightly faster going downstream of course.

Your biggest worry is getting whacked by a jet boat that is doing 50 around the blind curves and on the wrong side. I came within inches of being struck a few weeks ago on the river.

It's a tuff place to hunt. It's super thick, sticker capital of the world too I'm guessing. And what isn't that is muskeg and swamp. Also it's a real popular place that has been open for awhile now.

Lastly you could possibly get there and have no where to park

The trolling motor will be fine for puttering around in the flats but might be a little light to haul a moose up the river... likely you'll be walking on the way back up so waders will be a key piece of equipment.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

Your biggest worry is getting whacked by a jet boat that is doing 50 around the blind curves and on the wrong side. I came within inches of being struck a few weeks ago on the river.
    This is why I wouldn't consider moose hunting in my canoe out there. Also, the river banks are very high - you can't see anything from the boat. The road can be a challenge, the river just below the landing is a challenge to get up. But the safety thing is the biggie for me.