Thread: Memorable days Shooting?

Default Memorable days Shooting?

This past Sunday I was shooting doves on my farm and had one of those days you dream of! This was the second weekend of the season and after the first weekend it can go from unbelievable nonstop action to bluebird sky's and hardly a dove in sight. Shooting pressure, weather, and surrounding crop harvest that can cause the birds to disperse all can ruin the action. Well, it was upper 90's, very humid and the way high pollen count made it miserable to be out. I watched my favorite football team ( Da Bears ) win and decided to shoot some birds for a cookout. Action was slow but steady. Our limits are 15 and I had 6 down with 6 shots when I pulled off a rare double with one shot! Now I was at 8 and starting to feel a bit cocky The tally kept adding up and I ended my 15 bird limit soon using only 14 shots! Thankfully I had witnesses as we all know those rare days when we cannot seem to miss usually happen when all alone!!!So, I was hoping others may share their story's of days to remember? BTW, do doves make it to Alaska?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Sadly no dove up here, sure miss them too! When I was a kid in Arizona we had a section of alfalfa with a pond right in the middle surrounded by wheat and corn fields on 3 sides. I’d sit under the cottonwood by the pond and just lay waste to the dove as they came in in huge waves of 50 to maybe a couple thousand. The sky at times seemed like you couldn’t miss but ya know that is when I couldn’t hit, very hard to pick a target. Those were the days, limit out in half an hour tops.

Agriculture is so dead in Arizona now that my cousin down there has 7 birds to show for 4 full days dove hunting this year, no fields full of feed no dove to shoot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I hope to have a memorable day tomorrow...as long as it doesn't rain. I'm gonna burn up some rounds including some out of a couple rifles I've never fired. Buddy of mine is coming so it'll be fun. If it doesn't rain.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

No doubt, dove shooting can be one of the most enjoyable shooting/hunting events of the season.

I was an invited member of a very special lease just SW of San Antonio.Still am, but a trip from VA to TX is expensive just to shoot birds.

Around San Antonio, there are more than 1,000,000 doves (98% white wings) that roost in Bexar County.Most of these fly out to feed on surrounding agricultural lands...and then "commute" home in the late afternoon and evening.That's when the fun starts and the shooting gets red hot.

Shooting white wings coming back into town is sometimes like picking off SUVS from 281 or 410...just a continuous flow for 2 to 3 hours.

For the first two weeks, even Helen Keller could limit.You could be very choosy about shots..angles...
    presentations...even with a 28 gauge.For any given night early in the season, having 200 to 500 birds streaming over a shooting position was not rare.

Since we had 500 acres, we could decide to pick a position amoung 4 to 6 guns.Did we want to shoot front line or backup?

If we shot backup, we then had birds at MAch 2 speed bobbing and weaving like f-16s under ground fire.And whitewings on burner are very challenging.

Only downside was that opening day...always Sept 1 and a High Holy Day for dove hunters...was guaranteed high 90s and high humidity.Plus snake chaps were mandatory...so you sweated your butt off for sure.

Really miss those days...

7STW

Had two very memorable days just three days apart. It was on ducks. The first day I could not find my butt with a bucket full of shot. The ducks were coming great and the shooting was hot. I ran through two boxes of shells and had to go back to the truck for more to finish out my seven bird limit. My two buddies must have thought I had lost it. Fortunately they had shot with me before and knew this was a bad day. Three days later I went to the same spot, same conditions, same gun and loads, but by myself and limited seven birds in nine rounds. Never could figure it out.

Wish we had doves up here. I miss the early season warm up.

Mart

Many many years ago my father, (God rest his soul) and I, decided to go try for some doves in an orchard that he had permission to hunt. We got there in late afternoon and started walking out into the orchard. As we walked there was not a bird to be seen. We got to the other end of the orchard and waited.....and waited, and waited. Nothing. By now it was starting to get late so we decided to start heading back to the truck. We hadn't fired a shot and the truck was in site. Next think I know is I hear Dad say...."Right there!" and swings on the first dove we had seen the whole time. Of course, being the crack shot he was he drops the bird cleanly. I never even saw the thing before he shot. As we walk over to retrieve the bird, he bends over to pick it up, and as he does, he turns towards me and his eyes, this time on the sky over my shoulder says...."Quick David, right behind you...!!!" I turn, and a couple doves where coming in to land in the one big tree right next to the truck. Of course being the young inexperienced dove hunter I was, I never even got close to them I'm sure. Not a couple seconds after I shot a few more doves come in to roost and Dad hammers them both. Before I knew it, Dad was saying....."Over there David.....right here in front David.....behind you David." It was all I could do to twist and fire before he'd say something again.

The thing I remember wasn't so much that the doves started coming in like crazy, and the shooting was amazing, but it was the way my Dad was continually telling me, in the voice only my Dad could have...."over there, right here, down there, up here.....well, it had me laughing so hard that I really couldn't concentrate on getting the stock tucked into my shoulder well enough before I'd shoot, and being the little kid I was, that dang 12 gauge was beating the hell outta me...!!!

And if that wasn't bad enough, I remember that as we were walking through the orchard I started to develop a headache, and that by the time we got back to the truck and the crazy shooting, my head was just a pounding! So....couple a splitting headache, (and I'm sure a few of you know what it's like to shoot a 12 gauge over and over again with a headache), with inexperienced me not paying enough attention to get the butt to my shoulder properly and it beating me to death, along with my Dad making me laugh so hard that now my stomach was hurting just as bad as the rest of me. I have to say that when I think of bird hunting with my father, that was one of those special times that is just as vivid today as it was some 40 years ago.

I sure do miss Dad and that kind of fun......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

gave my first .22 rifle to forum member Familyman's son. Hadn't been shot in 15-18 yrs. he dressed it up with a new finish, and we all fired it. great going down memory lane. That kid can shoot like no one's business though.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    gave my first .22 rifle to forum member Familyman's son. Hadn't been shot in 15-18 yrs. he dressed it up with a new finish, and we all fired it. great going down memory lane. That kid can shoot like no one's business though.
    Nicely Done mainer!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Last summer my grandson Tait made the trip to Iowa to spend some time with grandpa. We went through a lot of 22 shells on thursday and friday. Tait now 11 has been shooting since he was 5 and even grandpa was pleased with the progress the lad had made.

On saturday Tait accompanied Gramps to a USBR sanctioned shoot in Montezuma Ia.. I shot in the 1st brace using my CZ 452 target gun and did quite well winning the brace. I had also registered to shoot in the second brace which was a sporter class. I set the little short, fat barreled Remington 597 up on the bench and told Tait to have a go at it. My 11 year old grandson finished second in the brace against men the youngest being 3 times his age. Tait now has that target framed and on his bedroom wall and the Remington 597 hangs next to it! He's coming back to shoot some squirrels with Grandpa in a few weeks. I'm more anxious than he is!