Thread: Cost Of Shipping Flammable Solids...

Default Cost Of Shipping Flammable Solids...

Since I cannot find any powder at the big wholesalers I've decided it may be better to buy from individuals and have them shipped to a consolidator in Seattle/Kent then shipped up here. The MAY be a solution to you folks who want powder but don't have access locally.

So far I have one quote for $199 for a box of say 40 pounds total to Anchorage. They'll also charge a consolidation fee of $7 per UPS/FEDEX box, so if I get five boxes totaling 40 pounds, the cost would be $199 + $35. The fellow agreed it would behoove me to purchase as much powder I can (in the least amount of shipments). I do know it will be roughly $200 to get it out here. So $450 just for shipping. Also the Feds have re-done the CFR again so now each box on cargo aircraft are limited to 16 pounds of powder AND they reclassified smokeless powder from a 1.3 explosive to the correct 4.1 flammable solid. But at least I can have whatever powder I can buy rather than wring my hands about it. Sooooooo....

And Oh My God....I have run into the shipping company brick wall of 100 pounds per ship. I asked the fellow how the company has arrived at that, since it is not elucidated per the CFR 49. He got all huffy so I didn't point out their error. The people on the phone are just filling out rate request forms, they won't know The Code, for that I'd have to wade through a few levels of bureaucracy. I may do it just for kicks once I have run through all the companies in the phone book. No, I won't name the company but it does not have yellow or green in the logo. The same fellow told me unequivocally that "this cannot be shipped by air". Grain of salt people, grain of salt.

For reference: the vessel stowage "A" means it can be stowed in a container on deck or under deck.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I wonder what the rules are for shipping it by common carrier by truck from the midwest? I know several companies run trucks up the Alcan from the midwest and I wonder if they have to follow the same rules as private citizens when transporting ammo or powder through Canada.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I wonder what the rules are for shipping it by common carrier by truck from the midwest?
    About the same as for shipping it by boat. Canada’s rules for has-mat are same as ours thanks to NAFTA. But now you got to comply in two countries, insurance, response plans, and everything else that works in both. When I was doing powder buys in 08 the barges all got booked up and I had to go by truck, it was almost twice the price but the per pound final cost was still a little less than normal Alaska price.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have two more companies I need to call to find prices. I'll post when I get them.

Nitroman: thanks for all this information. I'm going to have some powder/primers to ship up next year, so I'm grateful you're doing the legwork.

Randy (Snowwolf) seemed to have it worked out when he did the group buys before he moved.